The Singapore Airshow 2014 is held from 11th to 16th February. Back for its fourth installment, the biannual event since 2008 has relied on large numbers of shuttle buses to ferry visitors to and from Changi Exhibition Centre.
The Airshow is split into Trade Days (11th to 14th Feb) and Public Days (15th & 16th Feb). Trade days are open to invited guests only, while public days are open to those who bought tickets for the event.
|Route||Singapore Expo ↔ Changi Exhibiton Centre|
|Passes Through||— (Express)|
|Route Length||Approximately 14.0km|
|Travelling Time||10 – 20mins (Depending on traffic conditions)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses, Private Bus Operators|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||Trade Days: Private Buses
Public Days: Majority of Bendy buses
|Shifts / Fleet size||Trade Days: About 10 – 20 buses
Public Days: About 100 buses
|Departure Times from T1||Trade Days: 0730 – 1600
Public Days: 0730 – 1500
|Departure Times from T2||Trade Days: 0800 – 1800
Public Days: 1330* – 1800
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|Subject to demand||Subject to demand|
|Notes||* On Public days, the first bus leaving Changi Exhibition Centre is usually brought forward|
- 2008 (19-24 Feb): Pasir Ris MRT Station ↔ Changi Exhibiton Centre
- 2010 (2-7 Feb): Changi Airport Terminal 2/3 Coach Stand ↔ Changi Exhibiton Centre
- 2012 (14-19 Feb): Changi Airport Terminal 2/3 Coach Stand ↔ Changi Exhibiton Centre
- 2014 (11-16 Feb): Singapore Expo ↔ Changi Exhibiton Centre
The Singapore Airshow has historically been held over six days, with the first four days being trade days and the last two days (both weekends) being public days. During the event, the Airshow Shuttle would ferry guests between the exhibition venue and a nearby MRT station.
This year, Singapore Expo is being used as the boarding and alighting point for the Shuttle. Located near Expo MRT Station along the EWL, it is also served by SBS Transit Service 20 and more services along Upper Changi Road East.
The Airshow Shuttle is not wheelchair accessible.
The Airshow Shuttle service is available to all trade attendees during the Trade Days (11 – 14 February 2014). The Shuttle bus fare of $8.00 per person per journey will be collected upon boarding, and seat availability is subject to a first-come-first-serve basis.
To board the Shuttle, passengers must present a valid trade day pass. The pass is not valid for public days. The boarding and alighting point is located at a bus stop along Changi South Avenue 1, opposite Yusen Logistics. It is currently served by Service 20.
Buses depart for Changi Exhibition Centre between 7:30am and 4:00pm. Return trips to Singapore Expo depart between 8:00am and 6:00pm.
Private coaches are deployed for the trade days, using buses from various private bus operators. This was in contrast with Singapore Airshow 2012, where SMRT handed all trade day shuttles using revenue service buses.
SMRT’s PA-plated Dennis Lance were among the private buses deployed on the trade day shuttles.
Visitors to the Airshow during the Public Days (15 & 16 February 2014) are encouraged to board the Airshow Shuttle at Singapore Expo Hall 7 for transfer to the show site. The Airshow Shuttle is available to public visitors with valid tickets, as well as valid pass holders only.
For the public, the admission ticket includes two rides on the Shuttle to and from Changi Exhibiton Centre. Security checks will be conducted at the shuttle bus boarding point for visitors taking the Airshow Shuttle Bus. A map of the boarding and alighting point can be viewed here.
Buses depart for Changi Exhibition Centre between 7:30am and 3:00pm. Return trips to Singapore Expo depart between 1:30pm and 6:00pm.
Fleet: During trade days, a fleet of SMRT wheelchair-accessible rigid buses will be deployed, however the shuttle remains inaccessible to wheelchair passengers. On public days, a majority or full fleet of articulated buses will be deployed.
Deployment (15 Feb):
Do note that list of standby buses are unconfirmed. SMB74Y and SMB75U were seen ferrying passengers-in-wheelchair (PIWs) to the exhibition venue in the morning, but reverted to regular shuttle service in the evening. Both Mercedes-Benz OC500LEs are running without fleet identification numbers.
The fleet of 15 & 16 Feb comprises of 105 units of Mercedes-Benz O405G articulated buses, along with two Mercedes-Benz OC500LEs. Among the articulated bus fleet, majority of them were Hispano Habits and Hispano Mk1s, with a minority of Hispano MkIIs. Volgren O405Gs were not deployed.
- SMRT Dispatcher is stationed along Changi South Avenue 4, bus stop 96351 (Geoservices). Buses will park along Changi South Avenue 4 and Changi South Avenue 2 while waiting.
- Carpark K beside The MAX Pavilion is used as a holding area for shuttle buses. It is not open to the public during Airshow Public days.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
Green denotes roads plied during Trade Days.
Blue denotes roads plied during Public Days.
Enthusiasts who are trying to photograph the shuttles may consider the following locations:
- Changi South Avenue 2 & 4 (Dispatch point)
- Changi South Avenue 3, junction with Changi Business Pk Vista (suitable for offsides in the afternoon; buses turn right into Changi Business Pk Vista)
- Somapah Rd, Carpark K entrance. Buses enter and exit here (suitable for morning)
- Somapah Rd, near Upp Changi Rd East. Variety of nearside and offside angles (suitable for afternoon)
- Changi Coast Rd, near Tanah Merah Coast Rd. Variety of nearside and offside angles (suitable for any time of day, may be inconvenient to access)
Taking pictures near Singapore Expo Hall 7 is discouraged due to presence of security.
External Links & References:
- Singapore Airshow – Wikipedia
- Trade Day Shuttle – Singapore Airshow
- Public Day Shuttle – Singapore Airshow