Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #4:
“Bukit Merah Bus Package” (18 bus routes)
First announced on 11 August 2016, the Bukit Merah Bus Package will be the fourth set of public bus services to be put up for tender under the Bus Contracting Model. Currently, SBS Transit operates all bus services in this package under a Negotiated Contract (NC) model until Year 2018.
This package comprises 18 existing bus services mainly originating from Bukit Merah, HarbourFront, New Bridge Road, Queen Street and Shenton Way Bus Interchanges/Terminals, with a minority number of services originating at Buona Vista and Marina Centre Bus Terminals. The route package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM), and crucially covers SBS Transit’s major cross-border operations (Service 160, 170 and 170X).
The 18 bus routes will be based out of the new Ulu Pandan Bus Depot, located off Business Park Drive within the International Business Park, which is scheduled to be completed in Q1 2018 and able to accommodate about 500 buses. Currently, the bus park is occupied by SMRT Buses for the overnight parking of its buses.
The package will consist of about 340 buses when implemented in the fourth quarter of 2018, and will grow to about 390 buses in tandem with new developments and projected growth in ridership. The awarded operator will take over the Bukit Merah Bus Package routes from current operator SBS Transit Ltd in four tranches from the 4th quarter of 2018.
|Name||PT203: Bus Contracting – Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Awarded||To Be Announced|
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Published||28 Apr 2017|
|Closing||28 Aug 2017, 12:00PM|
|Services||5, 16, 57, 93, 120, 121, 122, 123/123M, 131/131M, 145, 160, 170/170A/170X, 195, 198, 272, 273, 400, 402|
|Bus Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot|
|Anchor Interchanges / Terminals||Bukit Merah, HarbourFront, New Bridge Road, Queen Street, Shenton Way, Marina Centre|
Bukit Merah Bus Package consists of 18 existing bus services, all of which are currently operated by SBS Transit.
|Service||Destination 1||Destination 2||Type||Description|
|5||Bukit Merah||Pasir Ris||Trunk|
|120||New Bridge Rd||↺ Telok Blangah Heights||Trunk|
|121||New Bridge Rd||↺ Telok Blangah Rise||Trunk|
|122||New Bridge Rd||↺ Commonwealth Drive||Trunk|
|123||Bukit Merah||Beach Station||Trunk|
|123M||Harbourfront||↺ Tiong Bahru Road||Trunk||Supplementary|
|131||Bukit Merah||St. Michael’s||Trunk|
|131M||Bukit Merah||↺ Bt Purmei Ave||Trunk||Peak-hour Supplementary|
|145||Buona Vista||Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|160||Jurong East||↺ JB Sentral||Trunk||Cross Border|
|170||Queen Street||Larkin||Trunk||Cross Border|
|170A||Queen Street||Woodlands Ctr Rd||Trunk||Supplementary|
|170X||Kranji MRT||↺ JB Sentral||Trunk||Cross Border|
|195||Marina Centre||↺ Commonwealth Drive||Trunk|
|198||Bukit Merah||Boon Lay||Trunk|
|272||Bukit Merah||↺ Telok Blangah Crescent||Feeder|
|273||Bukit Merah||↺ Henderson Road||Feeder|
|400||Shenton Way||↺ Marina Gardens Drive||Trunk|
|402||Shenton Way||↺ Marina Coastal Drive||Trunk|
Services 123M, 131M, 170A and 170X are considered as supplementary services of their parent service and do not add to the overall service count. Shortworking trip services are not included in the above list.
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator will be required to fulfil responsibilities as such:
- Operate the eighteen (18) bus services in the areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain Bukit Merah and HarbourFront Bus Interchanges, New Bridge Road, Queen Street, Shenton Way and Marina Centre Bus Terminals, and the new Ulu Pandan Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 18 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services will run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services will come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (BCM) article.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
- Bukit Merah Bus Interchange
- HarbourFront Bus Interchange
- New Bridge Road Bus Terminal
- Queen Street Bus Terminal
- Shenton Way Bus Terminal
- Marina Centre Bus Terminal
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2016 (11 Aug): Bukit Merah Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages operated by SBS Transit.
- 2017 (28 Apr): Bukit Merah Bus Package open for Tender. Closes on 28 Aug 2017, 12:00PM
External Links & References:
- Bus Industry to complete transition to BCM on 1 Sep 2016 – LTA
- Bukit Merah Bus Package up for Tender – LTA
Back to Bus Contracting Model