Tower Transit was first established in London and Cambridge where it operates 650 buses, employs 2,000 people and carries over 115 million passengers a year. It was shortlisted for the title of Bus Operator of the Year in the 2015 London Transport Awards. It is a sister company of Australia’s leading Transit Systems Group which has over 19 years of operating experience with tendered government contracts in Australia. It now operates over 1,000 buses, employs more than 2,000 people and carries over 55 million passengers per year.
Tower Transit Singapore entered the Singapore bus scene when it was awarded the Bulim Bus Package, a tendered route package comprising 26 bus routes based out of the newly-built Bulim Bus Depot. This was the first contract awarded by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the Bus Contracting Model (BCM), which would introduce a competitive scene of bus operators bidding for various route packages and a share of the market.
In May-June 2016, Tower Transit took over the 26 bus routes in 3 tranches, as well as the managing of Jurong East and Bukit Batok Bus Interchanges. The company will operate these routes for five years, with a two-year extension granted based on good performance.
- 8 May 2015: Bulim Bus Package awarded to Tower Transit Singapore
- 6 Dec 2015: Bulim Bus Depot open house cum official opening (Article)
- 29 May 2016: Took over operations of 9 bus services originating from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange. (Article)
- 12 Jun 2016: Took over operations of 6 bus services originating from Jurong East Bus Interchange. (Article)
- 26 Jun 2016: Took over operations of 11 bus services originating from Jurong East and Clementi Bus Interchanges. (Article)
- 13 Mar 2017: Starts trial of 3-door Double Deck bus (Article)
- 14 Nov 2017: Launch of TowerCARE staff welfare and engagement programme. (Article)
- 28 Feb 2018: Launch Engineering Centre of Excellence (Article)
With strong Public Relations efforts and constant initiatives to improve all aspects of the public bus industry, Tower Transit Singapore is often the subject of positive media coverage. Its first event, an open house cum official opening at Bulim Bus Depot (A Bulim Carnival Day), was attended by over 2,000 visitors.
In February 2017, the company rolled out its ‘signature scent’, a perfume mixture intended to improve the commuting experience. It is the first such initiative for bus operators in Singapore, and the scent was gradually rolled out to 100 buses operating on Bus Services 66, 97 and 106.
The company also celebrated Valentines Day and International Women’s Day with several initiatives rolled out for staff members. In December 2016, it also awarded a Bus Captain with a leisure trip to London as a reward for good service.
The company formerly operated Singapore’s first 3-door double-deck bus as part of a six-month trial initiated by the LTA, which ended in September 2017.
In November 2017, the company launched TowerCARE, a staff welfare and engagement programme designed to keep its 900 employees engaged, healthy and happy at work. TowerCARE brought together an extensive programme of staff events, activities, amenities and benefits, such as a new gym at Bulim Depot, wellness initiatives, engagement and cohesion activities, and discounts at over 20 partnering merchants.
In February 2018, it launched its Engineering Centre of Excellence to provide professional accreditation and international qualifications for vehicle technicians in the automotive industry. It is the first in Singapore to offer diplomas from the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI), an international association promoting professional standards in the automotive sectors all over the world. The diplomas are in vehicle parts, and heavy vehicle maintenance and repair, and are open to all technicians in the automotive industry. The Centre of Excellence is also the only place outside the UK where vehicle technicians can be assessed for an irtec licence – widely-recognised throughout the UK as a benchmark of a vehicle technician’s competence.
Bus Services & Fleet
The company operates the following bus models leased from the LTA:
- Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Deck bus
- Volvo B9TL Wright Double Deck bus
- Mercedes-Benz Citaro Single Deck bus
- MAN NL323F Single Deck bus
|Service||Destination 1||Destination 2||Type|
|41||Jurong East||↺ Jln Anak Bukit||Trunk|
|49||Jurong East||↺ Jur West St 42||Trunk|
|77||Bukit Batok||Marina Centre||Trunk|
|78||Jurong East||↺ Clementi Ave 3||Trunk|
|79||Jurong East||↺ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|96||Clementi||↺ Kent Ridge Cres||Trunk|
|97||Jurong East||Marina Centre||Trunk|
|97e||Jurong East||Marina Centre||Express|
|98||Jurong East||↺ Jurong Pier Way||Trunk|
|98M||Jurong East||↺ Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim||Supplementary Service|
|106||Bukit Batok||Shenton Way||Trunk|
|143||Jurong East||Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|143M||Jurong East||↺ Jurong Town Hall Road||Supplementary Service|
|173||Bukit Batok||↺ Clementi||Trunk|
|177||Bukit Batok||↺ Bukit Panjang||Peak Hour|
|183||Jurong East||↺ Science Park Rd||Trunk|
|189||Bukit Batok||↺ Clementi Ave 1||Trunk|
|282||Clementi||↺ Clementi W St 2||Feeder|
|284||Clementi||↺ Clementi Ave 4||Feeder|
|285||Clementi||↺ Pandan Loop||Feeder|
|333||Jurong East||↺ Jur East St 32||Feeder|
|334||Jurong East||↺ Jur West St 42||Feeder|
|335||Jurong East||↺ Jur West Ave 1||Feeder|
|941||Bukit Batok||↺ BBT West Ave 8||Feeder|
|945||Bukit Batok||↺ BBT West Ave 4||Feeder|
|947||Bukit Batok||↺ BBT Rd||Feeder|
|990||Bukit Batok||↺ Jurong East||Trunk|
Services 98M and 143M are classified as Supplementary Services and do not add to the overall service count.
MAN Lion’s City DD (Trial)
More photos of Tower Transit Buses at Tower Transit Bus Gallery.
- 6 Dec 2015: A Bulim Carnival Day
- 29 May 2016: Tower Transit First Day of Operations
- 12 June 2016: Second Tranche of Tower Transit Bus Services
Articles on Tower Transit
- LTA evaluates 3-door MAN Lion’s City DD Concept Bus
- Tower Transit Special Destination Signs during Formula 1
- Tower Transit operating Go-Ahead Employee Shuttle Buses
- Third Tranche of Tower Transit Bus Services
- Second Tranche of Tower Transit Bus Services
- Tower Transit First Day of Operations
Back to Bus Overview