The Go-Ahead Group is a multi-modal passenger transport operator founded in 1987. Formerly a small bus operator in north-east England, the Go Ahead Group has since expanded and diversified into rail services, providing more than a billion journeys each year in the United Kingdom. It now operates over 4,600 buses with a strong presence in London, boasts a large market share in UK’s rail industry, and employs more than 26,000 people in the UK altogether.
The company entered the Singapore bus scene when it bidded for and won the Loyang Bus Package. The route package originally comprised of 25 bus routes based out of the new Loyang Bus Depot. This was the second contract awarded by LTA as part of the Bus Contracting Model (BCM), which will introduce a competitive scene of bus operators bidding for various route packages and a share of the market.
In September 2016, Go-Ahead Singapore (GAS) took over operations of 24 existing bus services from SBS Transit in two tranches. Spaced two weeks apart, the two tranches allowed Go-Ahead Singapore progressive control over Punggol Bus Interchange, followed by Pasir Ris Bus Interchange.
Go-Ahead Singapore is also the first bus company in Singapore to conduct an all-electric bus trial, using the BYD K9.
- 23 Nov 2015: Loyang Bus Package awarded to Go-Ahead Singapore (GAS)
- 11 Dec 2015: Loyang Bus Depot handed over to GAS for outfitting works (Article)
- 19 Jun 2016: Loyang Bus Depot open house cum official opening (Article)
- 04 Sep 2016: Took over operations of 13 bus services originating from Punggol Bus Interchange. (Article)
- 18 Sep 2016: Took over operations of 11 bus services originating from Pasir Ris Bus Interchange, and Service 2 and 36 from Changi Village and Changi Airport (Article)
- 13 Mar 2017: Starts trial of BYD Electric Bus (Article)
Company initiatives and incidents
Before the opening of Loyang Bus Depot, Go-Ahead Singapore brought in a New Bus for London as part of a promotional tour to accompany LTA’s Our Bus Journey Carnival. Unable to be statically displayed at the Carnival, the bus resorted to running publicity routes outside the Carnival locations (around Vivocity and Toa Payoh) over two weekends. For more information, see Go-Ahead Group New Bus for London visits Singapore.
On 19 June 2016, Go-Ahead Singapore organised an open house cum official opening (Go-Ahead Singapore Bus Carnival) at Loyang Bus Depot.
Two weeks after commencing operations in September 2016, a shortage of drivers resulted in Go-Ahead having to borrow Bus Captains from SBS Transit and SMRT for 2-3 months. Its Employee Shuttle bus routes were also operated by Tower Transit for a one-month period.
Bus Services & Fleet
The company operates the following bus models leased from the LTA:
Go-Ahead Singapore 25 bus routes as part of the Loyang Bus Package. An additional bus service, Service 381 was added to the Loyang Bus Package in March 2017. This brings the total number to 26 bus routes. The last Bus Service 68 between Pasir Ris and Tampines will commence in 2017.
|Service||Destination 1||Destination 2||Type||Description|
|2||Changi Village||New Bridge Road||Trunk|
|6||Pasir Ris||↺ Loyang Way||Trunk|
|12||Pasir Ris||New Bridge Road||Trunk|
|15||Pasir Ris||↺ Marine Parade||Trunk|
|17||Pasir Ris||↺ Bedok||Trunk|
|17A||Bedok||↺ Bedok North Drive||Trunk||BSEP Supplementary|
|34||Punggol||↺ Changi Airport||Trunk|
|36||Changi Airport||↺ Tomlinson Road||Trunk|
|43||Punggol||Upper East Coast||Trunk|
|43M||Punggol||↺ Serangoon||Trunk||BSEP Supplementary|
|62||Punggol||↺ Sims Ave||Trunk|
|68||Pasir Ris||↺ Tampines||Trunk||Future Service|
|82||Punggol||↺ Serangoon Central||Trunk|
|84||Punggol||↺ Punggol Rd (End)||Trunk|
|118||Punggol||Changi Business Park||Trunk||BSEP|
|119||Punggol||↺ Hougang St 21||Trunk|
|136||Punggol||Ang Mo Kio||Trunk|
|354||Pasir Ris||↺ Jln Loyang Besar||Feeder|
|358||Pasir Ris||↺ Pasir Ris Dr 4 / 10||TownLink|
|359||Pasir Ris||↺ Pasir Ris St 11 / 71||TownLink|
|381||Punggol||↺ Punggol East||Feeder||BSEP, introduced Mar 2017|
|382G/W||Punggol||↺ Sumang Walk||Feeder||BSEP|
|386||Punggol||↺ Punggol East||Feeder||BSEP|
|403||Pasir Ris||↺ Pasir Ris Rd||Feeder|
|518||Pasir Ris||↺ Bayfront Ave||Express|
Services 17A and 43M are considered as supplementary services of their parent service and do not add to the overall service count. 382G and 382W are considered as one bi-directional service.
More photos of Go-Ahead Singapore buses at our Go-Ahead Singapore Bus Gallery.
- March 2016: Go-Ahead Group New Bus for London visits Singapore
- 19 Jun 2016: Loyang Bus Depot Carnival
- Jul-Sep 2016: Go-Ahead prepares for launch day
- 04 Sep 2016: Go-Ahead First Day of Operations
- 18 Sep 2016 – 15 Oct 2016: Tower Transit operating Go-Ahead Employee Shuttle Buses
- 18 Sep 2016: Second Tranche of Go-Ahead Bus Services
- 21 Sep 2016: Go-Ahead borrowing Bus Captains from SBS Transit and SMRT
- 07 Nov 2016: Go-Ahead Singapore trials BYD Electric Bus
Articles on Go-Ahead Singapore
- Go-Ahead Singapore trials BYD Electric Bus
- Go-Ahead borrowing Bus Captains from SBS Transit and SMRT
- Second Tranche of Go-Ahead Bus Services
- Tower Transit operating Go-Ahead Employee Shuttle Buses
- Go-Ahead: One Week On
- Go-Ahead First Day of Operations
- Go-Ahead prepares for launch day
- Loyang Bus Package Commencement Dates announced
- Speech by Mr Zainal Bin Sapari at Loyang Bus Depot Official Opening
- Go-Ahead Singapore Bus Carnival
- Go-Ahead Group New Bus for London visits Singapore
Back to Bus Overview