SMRT Bus Service 167 is a trunk route between Sembawang Interchange and Bukit Merah Interchange, passing through Canberra Link, Sembawang Road, Upper Thomson, Thomson, Newton, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut, Connaught Drive / St Andrews Road, Shenton Way, Cantonment Road and Jalan Bukit Merah.
|Bus Service 167: Sembawang ↔ Bukit Merah|
From Bukit Merah
||Sembawang Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Canberra Link, Sembawang Rd, Thomson, Newton, Dhoby Ghaut, Shenton Way, Cantonment Rd, Jln Bukit Merah|
|Route Length||30.4 km (D1) | 29.9 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||100 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang–Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Sembawang
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0545hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0545hrs – 2345hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2345hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 15 mins
1700-1900: 15 – 16 mins
After 1900: 13 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 15 mins
1700-1900: 08 – 16 mins
After 1900: 12 – 16 mins
Service 167 is an inter-town trunk route connects housing estates around Sembawang, Yishun and Bukit Merah, and the suburban areas of Upper Thomson and Thomson, with connections to the City areas of Novena, Orchard Road, Padang and Shenton Way. Along with Service 980, it serves the full stretch of Upper Thomson Road and connects to the city, and compliments Service 196 between Bukit Merah and the Central Business District.
Demand for this route remains moderate to low throughout the day owing to the presence of duplicate routes and low-density developments along much of its route. However, peak hour demand is high especially between Sembawang and the City.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
MRT Stations Served:
- NS11 Sembawang
- CC17 Caldecott
- NS20 Novena
- NS21DT11 Newton
- NS22 Orchard
- NS23 Somerset
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- DT21 Bencoolen
- CC2 Bras Basah
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- CC3 Esplanade
- EW14NS26 Raffles Place
- DT18 Telok Ayer
- EW15 Tanjong Pagar
- EW16NE3 Outram Park
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 1983: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1983 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Original route between Her Majesty’s (HM) Royal Dockyard (Rotherham Gate) in Admiralty and New Bridge Rd, operating as Service 160A
- 1974 (03 Feb): Renumbered to Service 167
- 1976: Amended to Admiralty Rd West Ter and Tanjong Pagar Ter (Lim Teck Kim Rd)
- 1980: Amended to Anson Rd Ter and Sebawang Road
- 1983 (03 Apr): Handed to TIBS
- 1985 (13 Jan): Extended to World Trade Centre Ter
- 1992 (20 Sep): Extended to Sembawang Rd End Ter (to replace withdrawn 161) and Bukit Merah Int (to replace withdrawn 850).
- 2001 (11 Feb): Amended serve Canberra Link & Canberra Rd before continuing to Sembawang Rd.
- 2005 (20 Nov): Shortened to Sembawang Int. New service 882 to replace lose sectors to Sembawang Rd End from Sembawang.
- 2006 (29 Oct): Calls at Orchard Stn along Orchard Turn instead of Orchard Blvd
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2016 (01 May): Amended to Esplanade Dr instead of St Andrews Rd (Main Article)
- 2017 (26 Nov): Calls at B/S 10018 Aft Hosp Dr, Eu Tong Sen St instead of B/S 10039 Bef Hosp Dr, Kg Bahru Rd due to B/S Removal
- Refer to this article
- 2016: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2016.
External Links & References: