SBS Transit Bus Service 170X is a cross-border service plying between Kranji MRT and JB Sentral in Johor Bahru, passing through Woodlands Centre, Woodlands CIQ and Sultan Iskandar CIQ. It is usually referred to as 170 (Blue Plate) or 170* to distinguish it from its parent Service 170.
|Route||Kranji MRT Station ↔ JB Sentral Bus Terminal (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Woodlands Ctr, Woodlands CIQ, Sultan Iskandar CIQ|
|Route Length||10.9km (D1) | 11.4km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||40mins+ (Subject to traffic conditions)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Bukit Batok Bus Depot (BBDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Kranji MRT||0536hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays)
0540hrs – 0000hrs (Saturdays)
0540hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays / PHs)
|Departure Times from JB Sentral||0620hrs – 0000hrs (Daily)
Daily downroutes at Johor Bahru Checkpoint from 0530hrs onwards
|0630-0830: 06 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 04 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 05 – 07 mins
After 1930: 06 – 12 mins
Service 170X is a cross-border route connecting Kranji MRT and Woodlands Centre to JB Sentral and Kotaraya II Terminal in Johor Bahru, supplementing Service 170 with cross-border demand. Although the route starts from 45131 Opp Kranji Station, most passengers board at 45139 Kranji Station in practice, where Johor-bound trips start.
Due to varying traffic conditions at the Causeway, travel times and frequencies may increase significantly when jams occur. At each checkpoint, rides will be suspended and passengers have to alight and clear customs before boarding the bus again. Re-boarding may not necessarily on the same bus, but any bus of the same service. As such, passengers may also switch between 170 (Red) and 170 (Blue) at either checkpoint, without counting as a transfer. (Example: A passenger can board 170X at Kranji, take either 170 or 170X across the Causeway, then board 170 to Larkin Terminal)
Some buses are scheduled on both 170 and 170X, performing the Kranji MRT – Sultan Iskandar CIQ as 170X and Sultan Iskandar CIQ – Larkin Ter as 170.
- Johor Bahru (Johor Bahru Checkpoint) → Kranji MRT Station
Weekdays: 0525hrs onwards
Weekends & PHs: 0530hrs onwards
Service 170X starts at around 5:30am from Johor Bahru Checkpoint towards Kranji MRT Station as compared to 6:20am from JB Sentral Bus Terminal.
- Service 170 (Queen Street Ter ↔ Larkin Ter)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 170X′s fleet is shared with Service 170, comprising of a full fleet of JB-registered Scania K230UBs.
Route limitations: Only JB-registered single-deck buses are allowed on cross border routes. Currently, only Scania K230UBs are JB-registered. In accordance with Malaysian regulations, buses must carry relevant documents, fitted with a third brake light at the rear, and attached with Malaysian stickers dictating legal speed limit.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
|Note: Green denotes roads in Singapore, Red denotes roads in Johor Bahru, Malaysia|
- 2000 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2000 (03 Sep): Parent route Service 170 split into blue plate (Kranji station – Kota Raya II terminal) and red plate (Queen St terminal – Larkin terminal). From then, there will be trips as well from Larkin – Kranji MRT and vice versa from Kranji MRT – Larkin.
- 2001 (Nov): Became fully air-conditioned with the Volvo B10M Mark IIIs
- 2011 (Aug): Retiring Volvo B10M Mark IIIs were replaced with Volvo B10M Mark IVs (DM3500 and Strider)
- 2014 (Apr): Scania K230UBs deployed to replace Volvo B10M Mark IVs
- 2014 (01 Nov): Amended to loop at Jalan Tun Abdul Razak due to the permanent closure of Kotaraya II Terminal
- 2015 (01 Mar): Amended to loop at JB Sentral Terminal, skipping the bus stop along Jln Tun Abdul Razak. Later converted to bidirectional operation with no change in routing (exact date unknown)
External Links & References: