Tower Transit Bus Service 177 is a peak-hour trunk route operating from Bukit Batok and looping at Bukit Panjang, passing through Hillview, MINDEF (Gombak Hill) and Upper Bukit Timah.
From 13 Jun 2016, Bus Service 177 will start at 0550hrs instead of 0600hrs from Bukit Batok Int. AM Trip timings are also retimed.
|Loop Service (via Jelebu Road)|
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Jelebu Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Hillview, MINDEF (Gombak Hill), Upper Bukit Timah|
|Travelling Time||45 – 50 mins|
|GCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot (BUDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Bukit Batok
||0550 – 0840 and 1620 –1820 (Only operates on Weekdays)|
|11 – 15 mins||—|
Service 177 is a peak-hour inter-town route connecting Bukit Batok, Hillview and Bukit Panjang, as well as providing bus connections to Ministry of Defence Headquarters (MINDEF HQ @ Gombak Drive) and its surrounding army camps. Formerly a full-day service, it now only operates during weekday peak hours with moderate demand. In 2012, this route was converted from bidirectional operation to unidirectional operation, looping at Jelebu Road when the former Bukit Panjang Interchange was demolished to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since 1989, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and was operated by SMRT until its it was re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package) in May 2016. At the same time, Shortworking trip 177A was withdrawn.
Departure Times from Bukit Batok Int
Timings provided by Tower Transit website at TowerTransit.sg
- Weekdays AM Peak
0605 0620 0635 0650
0705 0718 0731 0744 0757
0810 0825 0840
- Weekdays PM Peak
1620 1632 1644 1656
1708 1720 1732 1744 1756
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 1989 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – 27 May 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 30 May 2016 onwards: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021.
- 1989 (26 Apr): Introduced between Bukit Batok MINDEF Complex and Hillview Road (Loop)
- 1990 (10 Mar): Re-routed to Bt Batok Int – Bt Panjang Ter via MINDEF
- 1995 (02 Jul): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to terminate at Bt Panjang Int
- 2004 (25 Sep): No longer operates on Saturdays.
- 2012 (01 Jul): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (16 Dec): Amended to loop at Jelebu Road when Bt Panjang Int was demolished to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub. Shortworking trip 177A introduced.
- 2016 (29 May): Re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package), and operations transferred from SMRT Buses to Tower Transit Singapore. Shortworking Trip 177A withdrawn.
- 2016 (13 Jun): AM Peak operating hours extended to start at 0550hrs instead of 0600hrs from Bukit Batok Int.
- Refer to this article
- 2012: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2012.
External Links & References: