SMRT Bus Service 178 is a trunk route between Woodlands Temporary Interchange and Boon lay Interchange, passing through Marsiling, Woodlands Centre, Woodlands Road, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Batok, Jurong Town Hall, AYE and Corporation Road.
Bus Service 178 will be affected by the Removal and Relocation of Bus Stops along Woodlands Road from 28 May 2017.
|Bus Service 178: Woodlands ↔ Boon Lay
Towards Boon Lay
||Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange ↔ Boon Lay Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marsiling, Woodlands Ctr, Woodlands Rd, Upp Bukit Timah, Bukit Batok Ctrl, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Corporation Rd|
|Route Length||29.9 km (D1) | 29.9 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||90 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Woodlands Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Woodlands
||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Boon Lay
||0545 – 2330 (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays / Public Holidays)
|0630-0830: 07 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 15 mins
1700-1900: 15 mins
After 1900: 14 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 14 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 15 mins
1700-1900: 13 – 15 mins
After 1900: 13 – 17 mins
Service 178 is a supplementary inter-town route serving between the housing estates of Woodlands, Bukit Panjang, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Boon Lay. Much of its route plies through industrial areas (such as those around Woodlands Road, Corporation Road and International Business Park), hence demand is strongly skewed towards peak hours. It shares the Woodlands – Boon Lay termini with Service 187, while plying a longer route.
This route experiences very low off-peak demand and operates at borderline QoS standards. Its low frequency is attributed to the presence of multiple duplicating routes and little demand from industrial estate portions. It is believed that this route is highly unprofitable and SMRT’s requests to convert it to a peak-hour route was turned down by the PTC. Despite this, it encounters considerable demand between Woodlands Int and Kranji MRT during weekday morning peak hours due to industries at Marsiling Industrial Estate and Woodlands Road, and shortworking trip 178A was introduced to cope with the additional demand.
During periods of heavy congestion around Woodlands Checkpoint, buses may be diverted to skip parts of Woodlands Road and Woodlands Centre, going via Woodlands Avenue 3 instead.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
MRT / LRT Stations Served:
- EW27 Boon Lay
- NS2 Bukit Batok
- NS7 Kranji
- NS9 Woodlands
- BP6DT1 Bukit Panjang
- DT2 Cashew
- DT3 Hillview
- BP14 Ten Mile Junction
- Woodlands Ctr Rd (Woodlands Train Checkpt) → Woodlands Temp Int
Sundays & PHs: 5:35am, 5:52am, 6:09am, 6:26am, 6:43am
- Service 178A: Woodlands Temp Int → Woodlands Road (Kranji Stn)
Weekdays AM Peak hours: 0538hrs – 0835hrs | 14 – 42 min frequency
Fleet: Service 178′s fleet comprises MAN NL323F buses. Additional MAN NL323F buses were added under the BSEP scheme.
- 1974 – 1983: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1983 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Woodlands Bus Package.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Introduced between Corporation Drive and Upper Bukit Timah Road
- 1975 (21 Jul): Amended to Boon Lay Gardens
- 1978 (01 Jun): Extended to Jurong Int
- 1981 (29 Nov): Extended to Woodlands Int
- 1983 (10 Jul): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1990 (01 Jul): Shortened to Boon Lay Int with closure of Jurong Int, and amended to serve Bukit Batok
- 1996 (04 Feb): Extended to Woodlands Regional Int, covering parts Feeder service 372 (now service 903).
- 2006 (19 Jun): Amended to Boon Lay Temp Int
- 2009 (27 Dec): Amended to Boon Lay Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (15 Jul): Shortworking trip 178A introduced
- 2013 (29 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2016 (12 Mar): Amended to Woodlands Temp Int
- 2016 (11 Dec): Serves the new Bus Stop 43991 – Opp Blk 635A, Woodlands Road
- 2017 (23 Apr): Calls at relocated bus stop 43453 Aft PIE along Bukit Batok Rd
- 2017 (28 May): Calls at relocated bus stop 47071 Bef Mandai Rd and no longer calls at bus stop 45081 Opp Mandai Rd along Woodlands Rd.
- Refer to this article
- 1996: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1996.
External Links & References: