Go-Ahead Bus Service 17A is a shortworking trip of Service 17, running from Bedok Bus Interchange to Bedok North Avenue 4, passing through Bedok North Avenue 1 and Bedok North Road. Formerly a shortworking trip from Bedok North Depot and looping at Bedok Interchange, it was converted into a full-day service under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), and amended into its current state when Go-Ahead took over operations on 18 Sep 2016.
|Bus Service 17A: Bedok → Bedok North Ave 4
|Route||Bedok Bus Interchange → Bedok North Ave 4 (SBST Bedok Bus Pk)|
|Passes Through||Bedok North Rd|
|Route Length||3.8 km|
|Travelling Time||15 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Loyang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Go-Ahead Singapore
(Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd)
|Current Depot||Loyang Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
|Departure Times from Bedok
||0615hrs – 0012hrs (Weekdays)
0612hrs – 2310hrs (Saturdays)
0605hrs – 2307hrs (Sundays / Public Holidays)
|0630hrs – 0830hrs: 04 – 22 mins
0831hrs – 1659hrs: 10 – 46 mins
1700hrs – 1900hrs: 10 – 22 mins
After 1900hrs: 22 – 24 mins
Service 17A is a shortworking trip of Service 17, originally helping to ease high demand for its parent service between Bedok North Avenue 4 and Bedok Interchange. Operating out of SBS Transit’s Bedok North Bus Depot and looping at Bedok Interchange, it operated only during weekday AM and PM Peak hours, adding extra capacity to Service 17’s residential sectors within the Bedok estate.
From 16 November 2014, Service 17A was converted into a full-day service under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), with additional BSEP buses supplemented but no change in route. This was the third time that an extension of service hours has been classified under the BSEP, after Service 63M and 859A.
The extension of operating hours improved connectivity for residents in the Bedok North area to Bedok Bus Interchange and Bedok MRT Station. Access to amenities such as Bedok Polyclinic and Kampong Chai Chee CC, and schools such as Fengshan Primary, St. Anthony Canossian Primary and St. Anthony’s Canossian Secondary was improved.
As a route variant of Service 17, this service is wheelchair-accessible as of introduction. However, SBS Transit only officially declared the BSEP enhanced Service 17A to be wheelchair accessible from 03 December 2014, which meant that between 16 November 2014 – 03 December 2014, the service was technically non-wheelchair-accessible. As an interesting fact, the route is also a duplication of Feeder service 227 (Bedok Int – Bedok North Depot (Loop)), which was withdrawn in 2002.
With Go-Ahead taking over Service 17A from 18 September 2016, Service 17A was re-defined to start from Bedok Interchange and terminate at Bedok North Ave 4 (SBST Bedok Bus Pk). In practice, however, there is no change in service levels. From Bedok North Avenue 4 → Bedok Int, buses will operate as Service 17.
- Service 17: Pasir Ris Interchange ↔ Bedok Bus Interchange
MRT Stations served by this route:
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 17 Apr 2006 – 17 Sep 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 18 Sep 2016 onwards: Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Loyang Bus Package.
- 2006 (17 Apr): Introduced as a shortworking trip between SBST Bedok North Depot and Bedok Bus Interchange
- 2011 (25 Apr): Enhanced frequency between 0800hrs – 0830hrs.
- 2014 (16 Nov): Converted from shortworking trip to full-day bus service under LTA’s Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), plying Bedok North Depot – Bedok Interchange (Loop)
- 2014 (03 Dec): BSEP Route variant officially declared wheelchair accessible (WAB).
- 2016 (18 Sep): Operations transferred to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd. Routing amended to Bedok Interchange → Bedok North Avenue 4 (SBST Bedok Bus Park). No longer starts / terminates inside SBST Bedok North Bus Depot.
External Links & References: