SMRT Bus Service 188 is a trunk route linking Choa Chu Kang Interchange and HarbourFront Interchange, passing through Choa Chu Kang Way, Bukit Gombak, Bukit Batok, Toh Guan, Clementi Avenue 6, AYE, Clementi Road, Pasir Panjang and Telok Blangah.
|Route||Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ HarbourFront Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Choa Chu Kang Way, Bukit Gombak, Bukit Batok, Toh Guan, Clementi Ave 6, AYE, Clementi Rd, Pasir Panjang, Telok Blangah|
|Route Length||21.6km (D1) | 22.1km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||75 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– Volvo B9TL
– MAN A95
18-metre Articulated Bus:
– MAN NG363F
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2300 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0600 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0630 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 15 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 12 – 17 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 09 mins
After 1930: 08 – 15 mins
Service 188 is a inter-town route plying between Choa Chu Kang, Bukit Gombak, Bukit Batok, Toh Tuck, Pasir Panjang and HarbourFront. The route is frequented between Choa Chu Kang Town Centre and Bukit Batok as a valuable inter-town connections, as well as between Bukit Batok/Toh Tuck and Pasir Panjang, linking the many industries located around Pasir Panjang to the housing estates up north.
Demand for the service moderate during offpeak hours, but receives high demand during peak hours, and operates a proportionately large split-shift fleet to cope with demand.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route introduced in 1998, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) a year later (in 1999) and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated (and soon, double-deck buses) are deployed on a daily basis.
- Toh Guan Road (Blk 286A) → Choa Chu Kang Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs – 0640hrs
- SMRT Express Service 188E
Choa Chu Kang Interchange → HarbourFront Interchange
- SMRT Express Service 188R
Choa Chu Kang Interchange ↔ Resorts World Sentosa
Service 188 has two route variants, Express 188E and 188R.
Express 188E offers faster travel from Choa Chu Kang & Bukit Batok to Pasir Panjang and HarbourFront by skipping selected enroute stops, and travelling on West Coast Highway (express) instead of Pasir Panjang Road. Two trips are operated during morning peak on weekdays.
Express 188R skips Clementi and Pasir Panjang entirely, plying the AYE between Jurong Town Hall and Telok Blangah and providing express connections between Choa Chu Kang/Bukit Batok and HarbourFront/Resorts World Sentosa. The service only operates on Weekends and Public Holidays.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1998 – 1999: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1999 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1999 (07 Mar): Introduced between Choa Chu Kang and World Trade Centre (now HarbourFront),
- 1999 (26 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (03 Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (15 Sep): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2015 (22 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- Refer to this article
- 1999: No significant route changes since 1999.