Tower Transit Bus Service 189 is a trunk route running from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and looping at Clementi Avenue 1, passing through Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Street 23, AYE, Clementi Avenue 6 and Clementi MRT.
|Loop Service (via Clementi Ave 1)|
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Bukit Batok Ave 1, St 23, AYE, Clementi Ave 6, Clementi MRT|
|Travelling Time||70 – 75mins|
|GCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot (BUDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0545 – 2315 (Daily, Full loop)
2330 – 0100 (Service 189A | Terminates at Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg))
|0630-0830: 03 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 03 – 11 mins
1700-1930: 05 – 11 mins
After 1930: 11 – 15 mins
|Notes||Service 189A operates from Bukit Batok Interchange to Bukit Batok Street 23 (Opp Midview Bldg). Buses leaving Bukit Batok Interchange after 2330 hours will operate as 189A.|
Service 189 is a inter-town route serving between Bukit Batok and looping at Clementi, via Bukit Batok Neighbourhood 2, Bukit Batok Street 23, Clementi Avenue 6, Clementi MRT and Clementi Avenue 1.
The route is well patronized between the industrial areas around Bukit Batok Street 23 and Bukit Batok MRT, with Shortworking trip 189A performing supplementary trips during Weekdays AM Peak, and scheduled mid-route departures (“downroutes”) in the reverse direction during Weekdays PM Peak. The sector between Clementi MRT and Clementi Ave 1 receives moderate demand due to the area’s presently limited residential developments, but encounters high demand from students heading to the educational institutions along Clementi Avenue 1.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT until its it was re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package) in May 2016. High capacity articulated buses are deployed during weekday peak hours, and double-deck buses were deployed since 26 October 2015.
In 2014, SMRT Service 189 was involved in a small scale bus loading trial where buses were equipped with electronic displays beside the front door, which indicates when the next bus will arrive and the passenger loading onboard that bus. The trial was never expanded, and LTA subsequently released bus loading information for mobile apps in addition to expected time of arrival.
- Clementi Ave 1 (Opp Nan Hua High Sch) → Bukit Batok Int
Daily, Early Morning
- Bukit Batok St 23 (Midview Building) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays PM Peak
- Service 189A: Bukit Batok Int → Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Building)
Weekdays AM Peak (0706 – 0900) & Daily (2320 – 0100)
From 2320 daily, buses will be renumbered as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23, Opp Midview Building. During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 189 (operating as Service 189A) will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 1971 – 1973: Amalgamated Bus Company
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services
- 2004 – 28 May 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 May 2016 onwards: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Introduced by SBS, plying between Commonwealth Ave/North Buona Vista Rd and South Canal
- 1979 (15 Jan): Amended to loop at Empress Place
- 1981: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1985: Amended to start from Bukit Batok and terminate at Marina Centre Ter
- 1987: No longer plies Beach Rd in the direction of Bukit Batok
- 1990: Shortened to loop at Clementi West Street 2
- 1995: Extended to loop at West Coast Ferry Terminal.
- 1996: Amended to ply PIE and Clementi Ave 6, skipping Toh Tuck Ave
- 2000 (18 Jun): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2001 (15 Apr): Shortened to loop at Kent Ridge Terminal. Service 189A introduced between Bt Batok Int and West Coast Ferry Ter (Loop), operating at selected timings.
- 2003: Service 189A withdrawn
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (23 Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (23 Nov): Shortened to loop at Clementi Ave 1 via AYE and Clementi Rd Lost sectors along West Coast Rd replaced by Service 201.
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (26 Oct): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double-Decker Bus Deployments
- 2016 (29 May): Re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package), and operations transferred from SMRT Buses to Tower Transit Singapore
- Refer to this article
- 1993: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1993.
External Links & References: