SBS Transit Bus Service 21 is a trunk service plying between Pasir Ris and St. Michael’s, passing through Tampines, Bedok Reservoir, Kaki Bukit, Geylang, Bendemeer, and Balestier.
|Direction 1 – Towards St Michael’s
|Direction 2 – Towards Pasir Ris
- Commuters along Jalan Bahagia & Jalan Tenteram should check the bus destination and service number plate displayed on the front of the bus as buses from both directions will call at the same stops.
RED plated Service 21 buses are bound for Pasir Ris, while
WHITE plated Service 21 buses are bound for St. Michael’s.
|Route||Pasir Ris Bus Interchange ↔ St. Michael’s Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Tampines, Bedok Reservoir, Kaki Bukit, Geylang, Bendemeer, Moulmein, Balestier|
|Route Length||27.2km (D1) | 24.9km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||125 – 135 mins (Offpeak)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Pasir Ris
||0530 – 0000 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from St Michael’s
||0530 – 0000 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 07 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 14 mins
After 1930: 11 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 09 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 15 mins
After 1930: 12 – 15 mins
Service 21 spans from Central to East, serving many residential areas throughout its route, such as Whampoa, Balestier, Boon Keng, Kallang, Paya Lebar, Eunos, Kaki Bukit, Bedok Reservoir, Tampines and Pasir Ris. Its lengthy route and large coverage makes it an important inter-town route, and as a result, journey time is relatively long for its length.
Introduced in 1992, the route originally ran between Pasir Ris Int and Lorong 1 Geylang Ter before being extended to St. Michael’s in 1993 following the merger with then-Service 4. Service 21 made history on 26 June 2006 as the first wheelchair-accessible bus service in Singapore following the debut of Volvo B9TL CDGEs on the route.
The route has several key sectors offering important connections, such as that between St. Michael’s Estate and Novena MRT, Farrer Park and the Geylang district, as well as that between Eunos MRT and Bedok Reservoir Road. As such, in addition to demand from inter-town connections, the route experiences high demand throughout the day, and relies on fleet comprising mostly of double-decker buses.
Around Farrer Park, the route plies very different stretches in either direction. Commuters are advised to be aware of the bus stops served.
Route Amendment to Jalan Tenteram
Main article: Route Amendment of Bus 21 to Jalan Tenteram
From 24 April 2016, Bus Service 21 will be amended to ply Jalan Tenteram on both directions, skipping Bus Stop 52109 – Bet Blks 33/34 along Jalan Bahagia. Commuters at Jalan Tenteram should check the colour of the plates displayed on the front of the bus before boarding the bus. Affected commuters who rely on Bus Service 21 to Novena MRT Station from Bus Stop 52109 can take Bus Service 131 instead.
- Changi Road (Aft GE Life Ctr) → St. Michaels’s Ter
Weekdays: 0555hrs, 0610hrs
Saturdays: 0555hrs, 0606hrs
- Sims Ave (Eunos Stn) → Pasir Ris Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0600hrs
- Service 21A:
Geylang Road (Bef Lor 18 Geylang) → Kitchener Road (Bef Tai Hoe Hotel)
Sundays/PHs, 1730hrs – 1830hrs
Service 21A caters to high weekend demand from migrant workers commuting from the Geylang area to Kitchener Road near Little India.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 1992 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1992: Introduced between Pasir Ris Int and Geylang Lor 1 Ter.
- 1993: Merged with service 4, extended to St Michael’s Terminal.
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Jln Besar, Kitchener Rd and Serangoon Rd as part of NEL rationalisation (Phase 1)
- 2006 (26 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB), the first WAB route in Singapore
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (25 May): Shortworking trip 21A introduced
- 2016 (24 Apr): Amended to ply Jalan Tenteram for both directions of the route.
- Refer to this article
- 2003: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.