SBS Transit Bus Service 40 is a residential trunk route running from Bedok Interchange and looping at MacPherson Estate, going via Siglap Road, East Coast, Paya Lebar and Aljunied.
|Bus Service 40: Bedok ↺ Merpati Rd (Loop)|
|From Bedok||Looping at Merpati Rd|
||Bedok Bus Interchange ↺ Merpati Rd (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Siglap Road, East Coast Rd, Tg Katong Rd, Aljunied Rd
|Route Length||23.4 km|
|Travelling Time||55 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bedok Bus Package
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bedok
||0545hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|0630 – 0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831 – 1659: 13 – 18 mins
1700 – 1900: 15 – 18 mins
After 1900: 18 – 20 mins
Service 40 serves MacPherson Estate, Tanjong Katong, East Coast and Siglap Road with connections to nearby MRT stations along the East-West Line, namely Aljunied and Bedok. With multiple services duplicating its route across various sections of route, Service 40 fulfills more of a supplementary route and operating at low frequencies throughout the day. It is also the only bus service to serve the full stretch of Siglap Road daily.
MRT Stations Served
- Merpati Rd (Aft Jln Anggerek) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0557hrs, 0609hrs
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bedok Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Rationalization between Telok Kurau and Prince Edward Rd, operated by United Bus Company
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1975: Amended to Kampong Chai Chee (Chai Chee Ter)
- 1983: Shortened to MacPherson Estate.
- 1985: Extended to Bedok Int due to the closure of Chai Chee Ter.
- 1992 (Jun): Plies Telok Kurau Rd & Siglap Rd after merging with service 158 (then Bedok – Toa Payoh)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2016 (16 Oct): Amended to call at MacPherson Sec Sch, Circuit Rd instead of Kong Hwa Sch, Circuit Rd due to reopening of Circuit Link
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.