SBS Transit Bus Service 40 is a residential trunk route running from Bedok Interchange and looping at MacPherson Estate, going via Siglap Road, East Coast, Paya Lebar and Aljunied.
Bus Service 40 calls at MacPherson Sec Sch, Circuit Rd instead of Kong Hwa Sch, Circuit Rd from 16 Oct 2016 due to the reopening of Circuit Link.
|Route||Bedok Bus Interchange ↺ MacPherson Estate (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Siglap Road, East Coast, Paya Lebar, Aljunied, Merpati Rd|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Scania K230UB
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0545 – 2330 (Weekdays/Sat)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 15 – 18 mins
After 1930: 18 – 19 mins
Service 40 serves MacPherson Estate, Tanjong Katong, East Coast and Siglap Road with connections to nearby MRT stations along the East-West Line, namely Aljunied, Paya Lebar and Bedok. With multiple services duplicating its route across various sections of route, Service 40 fulfills more of a supplementary route and operating at low frequencies throughout the day. It is also the only bus service to serve the full stretch of Siglap Road daily.
- Merpati Rd (Aft Jln Anggerek) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0557hrs, 0609hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 40’s fleet comprises Scania K230UB and Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses.
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Rationalization between Telok Kurau and Prince Edward Rd, operated by United Bus Company
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1975: Amended to Kampong Chai Chee (Chai Chee Ter)
- 1983: Shortened to MacPherson Estate.
- 1985: Extended to Bedok Int due to the closure of Chai Chee Ter.
- 1992 (Jun): Plies Telok Kurau Rd & Siglap Rd after merging with service 158 (then Bedok – Toa Payoh)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2016 (16 Oct): Amended to call at MacPherson Sec Sch, Circuit Rd instead of Kong Hwa Sch, Circuit Rd due to reopening of Circuit Link
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.