SBS Transit Express Service 850E is an AM/PM-Peak Express service between Yishun Street 41 and Shenton Way, passing through Yishun Avenue 11, SLE/CTE, Dhoby Ghaut and Bras Basah. The route operates City-bound trips in the mornings and Yishun-bound trips in the evenings, and is the sixth bus service introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
SBS Transit has taken over operations of Bus Service 850E on 25 March 2018 as part of the Seletar Bus Package. An additional 2 AM Trips were provided with an extension in operating hours.
Route Details (Click to expand)
Towards CBD / Shenton Way
Towards Yishun Ring Rd
||[AM]: Yishun St 41 (Blk 432C) → Shenton Way (opp MAS Building)
[PM]: Anson Road (Hub Synergy Point) → Yishun Ring Rd (Blk 456)
|Passes Through||Yishun Ring Rd, CTE, Orchard, Bras Basah|
|Route Length||25.4km (D1) | 26.0km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||61 – 75 mins (AM Peak) | 79 – 83 mins (PM Peak)|
|BCM Route Package||Seletar Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Seletar Bus Depot (SEDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Yishun St 41
||0710 – 0750 (Weekdays | 8 Trips)|
|Departure Times from Anson Rd
||1815 – 1830 (Weekdays | 2 Trips)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|AM Peak: 05 – 08 mins||PM Peak: 15 mins|
Express Service 850E provides residents of Yishun with greater connectivity to Dhoby Ghaut and Shenton Way. By running parallel to the existing North South Line (NSL), the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network and existing feeder buses to and from work in the Central areas. The route incorporates a long express sector between Yishun Ring Road (near Khatib MRT) and Dhoby Ghaut via Lentor Avenue, Seletar Expressway (SLE) and Central Expressway (CTE), significantly improving journey time for commuters.
This route is the sixth bus service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP) and commenced operations on 18 February 2013, providing more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented.
Operating during weekday peak hours only, Service 850E encounters high demand on a daily basis. Under SMRT control, morning departures were gradually increased from 2 to 6, while Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-decker buses were introduced in August 2014. Under SBS Transit control, morning departures were increased to 8 trips.
Apart from Express 850E, Premium 559 offers more direct service to Shenton Way (without passing through Dhoby Ghaut), but charges higher Premium fares, as compared to distance-based express fares. Alternatively, trunk Service 857 plies from Yishun to Bras Basah via Little India, but the hassle of transferring buses and longer journey time may not appeal to many commuters.
Recent Route Amendments:Details (Click to expand)
2015 Route Amendment
With the launch of City Direct Service 663 on 28 September 2015, the catchment area for Service 850E within Yishun was reduced to avoid duplication. It was shortened to start from Yishun St 41, plying Yishun Ave 1 and Yishun Ave 11 before continuing on its original route on Yishun Ring Rd to CBD. The skipped bus stops along Yishun Ring Rd, Yishun Ave 6 & Yishun Street 31 were replaced with City Direct 663, which plies the same routing as 850E in the City.
Return trips were also amended to call at the same stops as forward trips along Yishun Street 41, Yishun Ave 1, Yishun Ave 11 and 2 stops along Yishun Ring Rd.
2017 Change in Trip Schedule
From 31 July 2017, morning trip departure timings were adjusted with all trips brought forward. This was done to compensate for longer travel time to Shenton Way.
Morning departure timings from Blk 432C, Yishun Street 41 are adjusted to between 0710hrs – 0745hrs, instead of the former 0720hrs – 0750hrs. The scheduled full trip run-time for Service 850E for AM Peak was also decreased from 76 mins to 69 – 71 mins. During PM Peak hours, the scheduled run-time wasalso adjusted to 69 – 74 mins as compared to the previous schedule of 68 mins.
2018 Change in Trip Schedule
With the takeover of Service 850E by SBS Transit under the Seletar Bus Package from 25 Mar 2018, trip timings were revised again, with an additional 2 trips in the morning. This brings the total AM Trips provided to 8. Scheduled run-time was also adjusted to 61 – 75 mins for AM Peak and 79 – 83 mins for PM Peak.
- From Blk 432C, Yishun Street 41: 0710hrs, 0718hrs, 0725hrs, 0730hrs, 0735hrs, 0740hrs, 0745hrs & 0750hrs
- From Hub Synergy Point, Anson Rd: 1815hrs, 1830hrs
MRT Stations Served:
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- EW14NS26 Raffles Place
- EW15 Tanjong Pagar
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- CC2 Bras Basah
- CC3 Esplanade
- DT21 Bencoolen
Gallery (SBS Transit):
- 18 Feb 2013 – 23 Mar 2018: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 26 Mar 2018 onwards: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Seletar Bus Package.
- 2013 (18 Feb): Introduced as a bidirectional AM/PM-Peak hour service from Yishun to Cecil Street under the BSEP. Operates two trips on weekday mornings at 7:30am and 7:45am, and weekday evenings at 6:15pm and 6:30pm. Charges Express fares under the Distance-Based Fare scheme.
- 2013 (Jun): 3rd AM Peak departure from Yishun
- 2013 (15 Jul): 4th AM Peak departure from Yishun
- 2013 (14 Oct): 5th AM Peak departure from Yishun
- 2014 (17 Mar): 6th AM trip from Yishun introduced
- 2014 (18 Aug): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2015 (25 May): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along Yishun St 31
- 2015 (06 Sep): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along Yishun Ring Rd
- 2015 (28 Sep): Amended to start from Yishun St 41, plying Yishun Ave 1, 11 & Ring Rd. Deleted sectors replaced by City Direct 663
- 2016 (16 Oct): Serves a new bus stop outside Blk 504C along Yishun Ring Rd
- 2017 (31 July): Operating hours for AM Peak brought forward from 0720hrs – 0750hrs to 0710hrs – 0745hrs
- 2017 (17 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (25 Mar): Operations transferred to SBS Transit as part of the Seletar Bus Package. Additional 2 Trips in the morning with operating hours extended to 0710hrs – 0750hrs
- Refer to this article
- 2013 – 2015:
(AM) Yishun Ave 11, Ave 6, St 31, Ring Rd, Ave 2, Lentor Ave, SLE, CTE, Buyong Rd, Orchard Rd, Bras Basah Rd, Nicoll Highway, Collyer Quay, Raffles Quay, Shenton Way
(PM) Anson Rd, Robinson Rd, Fullerton Rd, Esplanade Dr, Stamford Rd, Orchard Rd, Penang Rd, Buyong Rd, CTE, SLE, Lentor Ave, Yishun Ave 2, Ring Rd, St 31, Ave 6, Ave 11
- No significant route changes since 2015.
External Links & References:
More historical information and pictures on Page 2