SMRT Bus Service 980 is a trunk route between Sembawang Interchange and Lorong 1 Geylang Terminal, passing through Admiralty Drive, Sembawang Road, Upper Thomson, Thomson, Kampong Java, Little India, Middle Road and Beach Road.
Route Information:Route Details (Click to expand)
|Bus Service 980: Sembawang ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang
Towards Lor 1 Geylang
||Sembawang Bus Interchange ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang Bus Terminal
|Passes Through||Admiralty Dr, Sembawang Rd, Upper Thomson, Thomson, Kg Java, Little India, Middle Rd, Beach Rd|
|Route Length||25.4km (D1) | 24.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Sembawang
||0555hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from Lor 1 Geylang
||0600hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 12 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 14 – 18 mins
After 1930: 15 – 18 mins
|0630-0830: 15 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 16 – 17 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
Service 980 is an inter-town trunk route linking housing estates around Sembawang and Yishun, and the suburban areas of Upper Thomson and Thomson, providing connections to the City areas of Novena, Rochor Canal, Middle Road and Beach Road. Along with Service 167, it serves nearly the full stretch of Sembawang Road / Upper Thomson Road / Thomson Road, connecting to the city, and complements Service 166 between Upper Thomson and Rochor Canal.
Demand for this route remains moderate to low throughout the day owing to the presence of duplicate routes and low-density developments along much of its route. As such, the route plays a largely supplementary role and operates at low frequencies throughout the day.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s (then known as Service 160), the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983, renumbered Service 980 in 1998 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated buses are deployed only occasionally on weekends and public holidays in anticipation of high crowds around Little India. Double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
MRT Stations Served:
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1970 (11 Apr): Original route as Service 160, plying Admiralty Rd West (Canberra Gate) – Crawford St. Handed to TIBS in 1983 (03 Apr)
- 1998 (27 Dec): Renumbered Service 980, and plying Admiralty Rd West – Geylang Lorong 1 Ter after closure of Crawford St Ter
- 2005 (20 Nov): Amended to Sembawang interchange via Sembawang Vista, Sembawang Drive and Sembawang Avenue.
- 2006 (03 Dec): Extended to ply along Admiralty Drive and Canberra Road
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- Refer to this article
- 2006: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2006.
External Links & References: