Premium Bus Service 531 is a Premium service operated by Commute Solutions between Simei Road and Shenton Way. The route passes through Simpang Bedok, Upper East Coast, East Coast Parkway (express sector), Suntec City and Fullerton, operating four city-bound trips in the morning and two return trips in the evening.
Operations of Premium Bus Service 531 has been transferred to Commute Solutions from 29 August 2016.
|Route||[AM] Simei Road (Melville Park) → Shenton Way (opp MAS Building)
[PM] Anson Road (Hub Synergy Point) → Simei Road (Metta Welfare Assn)
|Passes Through||Simpang Bedok, Upper East Coast, ECP, Suntec City, Fullerton|
|Route Length||20.2km (D1) | 20.7km (D2)|
|Current Operator||Commute Solutions Group Pte Ltd|
|Current Fleet||Private Buses|
|Departure Times from Simei Road
||0740hrs – 0805hrs (4 trips | Weekdays)|
|Departure Times from Anson Road
||1810hrs – 1830hrs (2 trips | Weekdays)|
|AM Peak: 05 – 08 mins | PM Peak: 20 mins|
Premium 531 serves housing board estates, private estates and condominiums around Simei and Upper East Coast with connections to Suntec City, Marina Centre and Shenton Way, eliminating the hassle of transferring between different modes of transport. At the same time, SBS Transit’s Fast Forward 10e also offers peak hour connections between Upper East Coast and Shenton Way at a cheaper price (~$2.18 adult card fare as of 2015), but takes a longer journey by not plying along expressways.
Since its introduction in 2007, Premium 531 has experienced considerably high demand from the niche market, mostly from the private housing areas around Upper East Coast, where 531 is a the fastest bus route to the CBD despite its high fares. High capacity articulated buses were deployed on this service duing its initial days of service, when there were just 2 morning departures and buses were filled to the brim (despite the Premium no-standing regulation), and some buses (e.g. TIB1081S) were re-tuned for better climbing of Benjamin Shears Bridge. Articulated buses were eventually removed when more weekday peak hour trips were added.
Originally operating with 2 morning and 2 evening trips, Premium 531 operated with 6 morning and 3 evening trips at its peak under SMRT, making it among the most successful Premium routes around. Most trips were fully seated.
Please note that this service does not call at 03059 Raffles Quay (One Raffles Quay).
Transfer of Operator to Commute Solutions from 29 Aug 2016:
Under Commute Solutions, the cash fare for Premium 531 was raised from $5.50 to $6.00. EZ-Link fares remain at $5.50.
AM Departures were reduced from 6 AM trips to 5 AM trips, while PM Departures were also reduced from 3 PM trips to 2 PM trips.
AM Departures were re-timed and reduced to 4 trips between 0740 to 0805hrs after the takeover by Commute Solutions.
Cash fares were increased to $7.00 from 03 Jan 2017.
Operates during weekday peak hours only. Does not operate on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. During selected eves of Public Holidays, evening departures may be brought forward to the afternoon.
- EZ Link Card: $5.50
- Cash: $7.00
Transfer rebates & concessionary travel are not applicable.
Fleet: Premium 531 operates on Private Coaches from Commute Solutions.
Route Information: (acronyms here)
|Direction 1 (towards Shenton Way):||Direction 2 (towards Simei):|
- 30 Jul 2007 – 26 Aug 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 Aug 2016 onwards: Commute Solutions LLP
- 2007 (30 Jul): Introduced as a Premium Service from Simei Road → Shenton Way. Operates two trips in the morning at 0755hrs and 0803hrs, and charges a flat fare of $3.00
- 2007 (3rd Quarter): Third morning trip added. Departure times amended to 0750hrs – 0805hrs with buses departing at 7/8-minute intervals.
- 2008 (Jun): Two evening peak trips introduced at 1810hrs and 1825hrs. Fare increased to $4.00
- 2009 (01 Apr): Fare lowered to $3.80
- 2009 (06 Apr): Fourth morning trip and third evening trip added at 0745hrs and 1840hrs respectively
- ???: Firth morning trip added
- 2009 (05 Oct): Sixth morning trip added at 0810hrs
- 2010 (01 Apr): Original fare of $4.00 reinstated
- Late 2011: Fare revision to $5.00
- 2014 (04 Aug): Fare revision to $5.50
- 2016 (29 Aug): Operations transferred to Commute Solutions Group Pte Ltd.
- 2017 (03 Jan): Cash fare revision to $7.00 from $6.50
- ???: Trip re-timing and reduction to 4 AM trips
External Links & References: