SBS Transit Bus Service 163 is a trunk service plying between Sengkang Interchange and Toa Payoh Interchange, passing through Punggol Road, Sengkang West, Yio Chu Kang Road, Upper Thomson, Braddell Road and Lorong 4 Toa Payoh.
Service 163 calls at a new bus stop along Upper Thomson Road from 22 December 2019.
||Sengkang Bus Interchange ↔ Toa Payoh Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Sengkang West, Yio Chu Kang Road, Upper Thomson Road, Braddell Road, Lor 4 Toa Payoh|
|Route Length||19.6 km (D1) | 19.3 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||75 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Decker Buses:
– MAN A95 (Euro 6)
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Sengkang
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0550hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Departure Times from Toa Payoh
||0545hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|0630 – 0830: 07 – 10 mins
0831 – 1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700 – 1900: 07 – 12 mins
After 1900: 12 – 15 mins
|0630 – 0830: 06 – 12 mins
0831 – 1659: 06 – 13 mins
1700 – 1900: 07 – 09 mins
After 1900: 07 – 15 mins
Service 163 is a residential trunk route between Sengkang and Toa Payoh, connecting the residential housing estates of Sengkang East, Sengkang West and Toa Payoh through the private estates around Yio Chu Kang and Upper Thomson and Toa Payoh. The route serves crucial links between Toa Payoh Town Centre and Upper Thomson, as well as intra-town connections within parts of Sengkang New Town without direct connection to Sengkang Interchange/MRT.
The route has been in existence since the 1970s plying between Jalan Kayu Ter and Shenton Way, one of many bus routes serving between Northern Singapore and the City Centre until subsequent amendments shortened it to its current route today. Due to changes in areas of responsibility between bus operators affecting the Sengkang district, Trans-Island Bus Service operated the route from December 1995 to December 1999 when Sengkang was handed to Singapore Bus Service (SBS).
Currently, the route shares the Sengkang – Toa Payoh route termini with Service 159.
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
MRT/ LRT Stations Served
- Yio Chu Kang Rd (Opp Dedap Rd) → Sengkang Int
Weekdays: 0510hrs, 0525hrs, 0540hrs, 0555hrs, 0610hrs
Saturdays: 0510hrs, 0523hrs, 0536hrs, 0549hrs, 0602hrs
Sundays / Public Holidays: 0510hrs, 0527hrs, 0544hrs, 0600hrs, 0616hrs
Short Trip Service
- Service 163A: Sengkang Int → Fernvale Lane (Bef Sengkang West Rd)
Daily: 2346hrs – 0035hrs
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 1999: Trans-Island Bus Service Ltd
- 1999 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 163 between between Yio Chu Kang Rd Ter and Prince Edward Rd Ter under 1971 Bus Reorganisation
- 1971 (04 Oct): Extended to Jln Kayu Ter
- 1973 (01 Nov): Operated by Singapore Bus Service (SBS)
- 1974 (08 Dec): Amended to ply Cecil St, skipping Robinson Rd
- 1976 (14 Mar): Calls at a staggered bus stop outside The Cenotaph along Connaught Dr, skipping the bus stop opposite Singapore Cricket Club
- 1978 (03 Dec): Amended to ply Mayne Rd and Bt Timah Rd with the partial conversion of Mackenzie Rd to two-way road
- 1979 (28 Oct): Amended to ply Sungei Rd (towards Prince Edward Rd Ter) and Bt Timah Rd (towards Jln Kayu Ter) with the partial conversion of Bt Timah Rd to two-way road and Rochor Canal Rd to one-way road, skipping Mackenzie Rd and Mayne Rd
- 1981 (05 Jun): Amended to ply the diverted Yio Chu Kang Rd, skipping Ang Mo Kio Ave 9
- 1985 (13 Jan): Extended to World Trade Ctr Ter
- 1988 (03 Jan): Calls at a staggered bus stop opposite Treasury Bldg along Shenton Way, skipping the bus stop opposite Marina House
- 1989 (28 May): Shortened to Marina Ctr Ter
- 1990 (21 Feb): Skips the bus stop opposite Jasmine Rd along Upp Thomson Rd
- 1992 (03 May): Shortened to Toa Payoh Int under TransitLink Network Integration Exercise Phase 7
- 1995 (17 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS)
- 1998 (31 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 1998: Skips a pair of bus stops before and after Seletar West Farmway 1 along Jln Kayu
- 1999: Calls at a new pair of bus stops outside and opposite Toa Payoh Swim Cplx along Lor 6 Toa Payoh
- 1999 (26 Dec): Handed back to Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 2001 (01 Nov): Operated by SBS Transit
- 2002 (19 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2002: Calls at a reinstated pair of bus stops before and after Sengkang West Ave along Jln Kayu
- 2002 (29 Dec): Extended to Sengkang Temp Int
- 2003 (18 Jan): Amended to Sengkang Integrated Transport Hub
- 2005 (12 Mar): Amended to ply Fernvale Lane under bus rationalization for Sengkang West LRT. Service 163A introduced between Sengkang and Fernvale Lane (Loop), replacing former Service 371.
- 2008 (28 Jan): Service 163A was directly renumbered to Service 163M with no route changes.
- 2009 (22 Nov):Calls at an additional bus stop outside Braddell View along Braddell Rd
- 2012 (30 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013 (13 Oct): Amended to ply the extended Fernvale Lane with the partial closure of Jln Kayu
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2019 (10 Feb): Short Trip Service 163A reintroduced, operating daily during late night hours. Service 163M withdrawn.
- 2019 (22 Dec): Calls at a new bus stop along Upper Thomson Road
- Refer to this article
- 2013: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2013.