SBS Transit Bus Service 21 is a trunk service plying between Pasir Ris and St. Michael’s, passing through Tampines, Bedok Reservoir, Kaki Bukit, Geylang, Bendemeer, and Balestier.
- – Wheelchair Inaccessible Bus Stop
- Service 21 serves Jalan Bahagia & Jalan Tenteram towards both St. Michael’s & Pasir Ris. Check the bus destination before boarding.
RED plated Service 21 buses are bound for Pasir Ris, while
WHITE plated Service 21 buses are bound for St. Michael’s.
|Route||Pasir Ris Bus Interchange ↔ St. Michael’s Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Tampines Ave 7, Bedok Reservoir Rd, Geylang Rd / Sims Ave, Moulmein Rd, Balestier Rd|
|Route Length||Towards St. Michael’s: 27.3 km||Towards Pasir Ris: 25.0 km|
|Traveling Time||130 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|12-metre Double Deck bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Pasir Ris
|05:30 – 00:00|
|Departure Times from St. Michael’s
|05:30 – 00:00|
|From Pasir Ris
|Weekdays||7 – 13 mins||8 – 15 mins||11 – 14 mins||12 – 14 mins|
|Saturdays||9 – 12 mins||8 – 15 mins||13 – 14 mins||11 – 14 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||13 – 15 mins||8 – 14 mins||12 – 14 mins||12 – 15 mins|
|From St. Michael’s||6:30am–8.30am||8.31am–4.59pm||5.00pm–7.00pm||After 7.00pm|
|Weekdays||9 – 11 mins||8 – 14 mins||9 – 15 mins||12 – 15 mins|
|Saturdays||11 – 12 mins||10 – 15 mins||12 – 13 mins||11 – 13 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||10 – 15 mins||10 – 15 mins||11 – 17 mins||12 – 17 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 21 spans from Central to East, serving many residential areas throughout its route, such as Whampoa, Balestier, Boon Keng, Kallang, Paya Lebar, Eunos, Kaki Bukit, Bedok Reservoir, Tampines and Pasir Ris. Its lengthy route and large coverage makes it an important inter-town route, and as a result, journey time is relatively long for its length.
Introduced in 1992, the route originally ran between Pasir Ris Int and Lorong 1 Geylang Ter before being extended to St. Michael’s in 1993 following the merger with then-Service 4. Service 21 made history on 26 June 2006 as the first wheelchair-accessible bus service in Singapore following the debut of Volvo B9TL CDGEs on the route.
The route has several key sectors offering important connections, such as that between St. Michael’s Estate and Novena MRT, Farrer Park and the Geylang district, as well as that between Eunos MRT and Bedok Reservoir Road. As such, in addition to demand from inter-town connections, the route experiences high demand throughout the day, and relies on fleet comprising mostly of double-decker buses. Around Farrer Park, the route plies very different stretches in either direction. The route was amended to serve Jalan Tenteram in both directions in April 2016.
MRT Stations Served:
- EW1 Pasir Ris
- DT33 Tampines East
- EW2–DT32 Tampines
- DT31 Tampines West
- EW7 Eunos
- EW8CC9 Paya Lebar
- EW9 Aljunied
- EW10 Kallang
- NE9 Boon Keng
- NE8 Farrer Park
- NS20 Novena
- Changi Road (Aft Lor 106 Changi) → St. Michaels’s Ter
Weekdays: 05:55 & 06:10
Saturdays: 05:55 & 06:06
Sundays / Public Holidays: 05:55
- Geylang Road (Bef Lor 18 Geylang) → St. Michaels’s Ter
Sundays / Public Holidays: 17:51, 18:15 & 18:31
- Sims Ave (Eunos Stn/Int) → Pasir Ris Int
Weekdays: 05:50, 06:00, 06:18 & 06:31
Short Trip Service
- Service 21A: Geylang Road (Bef Lor 18 Geylang) → Kitchener Road (Bef Tai Hoe Hotel)
Sundays & Public Holidays: 16:52, 17:15, 17:20, 17:44 & 18:00
Service 21A caters to high weekend demand from migrant workers commuting from the Geylang area to Kitchener Road near Little India.
- 29 Nov 1992 – 31 Oct 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 01 Nov 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package.
- 1992 (29 Nov): Introduced between Pasir Ris Int and Lor 1 Geylang Ter under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 10.
- 1993 (23 May): Merged with Service 4 and extended to St Michael’s Terminal under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 13.
- 1994: Skips bus stop outside Kallang Stn along Sims Ave
- 1999: Serves new pair of bus stops (75349/75341) along Bedok Reservoir Rd
- 2001 (18 Feb): Serves new staggered bus stop (50038) along Thomson Rd, skipping the bus stop outside Novena Church.
- 2002: Serves new pair of bus stops (84639/84631) along Bedok Reservoir Rd
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Jln Besar, Kitchener Rd and Serangoon Rd as part of NEL rationalisation (Phase 1)
- 2004 (27 Apr): Amended to u-turn near Geylang Rd/Kallang Rd with the conversion of Lor 1 Geylang to one-way traffic
- 2004 (06 Dec): Amended to reinstated Lor 1 Geylang
- 2006 (26 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB), the first WAB route in Singapore
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2016 (24 Apr): Amended to ply Jalan Tenteram for both directions of the route.