With this award, Tower Transit will succeed SMRT Buses as the operator of 27 bus services in the Sembawang and Yishun areas, operating from the new Mandai Bus Depot. In addition, Tower Transit secures a further five-year extension of its 29 existing bus routes in the Jurong East, Clementi and Bukit Batok areas. The two contracts will commence progressively from 2Q 2021.
#PSA 📢 We’ve just awarded the contracts for the Bulim and Sembawang-Yishun bus packages 🚌 to Tower Transit Singapore Pte…
Under the Bus Contracting Model, bus routes are bundled into bus packages, consisting of a single bus depot, several bus interchanges/terminals, the bus routes and the buses themselves. With all bus infrastructure belonging to the Government, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would contract out the bus package, select a bus operator (through a competitive tendering process), and lease these assets to the new operator.
The Bulim Bus Package was first awarded to Tower Transit in May 2015, while the Sembawang-Yishun Bus Package had been operated by SMRT Buses under a negotiated contract since September 2016. Combined under Contract PT217, the packages combine 56 bus routes with the maintenance and operation of two depots, five interchanges, one terminal, and over 700 buses.
Tower Transit’s bid won out over other participating tenderers such as SBS Transit, SMRT Buses, Go-Ahead, and Guangzhou Public Transportation Group No.3 Bus Co., Ltd. A list of services is enclosed below.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals:
- Jurong East Bus Interchange
- Bukit Batok Bus Interchange
- Sembawang Bus Interchange
- Yishun Bus Interchange
- Lorong 1 Geylang Bus Terminal
- Venture Drive Bus Interchange (Future)
- Bulim Bus Package: Commencing from 30 May 2021
41, 49, 66, 77, 78, 79, 96, 97, 97e, 98/98M, 106, 143/143M, 173, 177, 183, 189, 282, 284, 285, 333, 334, 335, 653, 657, 941, 944, 945, 947 & 990
- Sembawang-Yishun Bus Package: Commencing from 5 September 2021
167, 167e, 169, 171, 656, 663, 825, 853/853M, 854, 854e, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859/859A/859B, 882, 883/883M, 963, 963e, 963R, 965, 966, 969, 980, 981, N1 & N2
Remarks: Bus Services highlighted in red are to be transferred from SMRT Buses to Tower Transit. Bus Services N1 & N2 are upcoming bus services to be announced by LTA.
The contract commencement dates were announced in a press release by SeaLink Travel Group Limited, which wholly owns Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd. Bus Services operated by SMRT Buses will progressively be transferred to Tower Transit in tranches from the commencement date.
- Bulim: 324 buses
Fleet: Alexander Dennis Enviro500, MAN A22 (Euro V), Mercedes-Benz Citaro, Volvo B9TL (Wright), Yutong E12, Yutong E12DD
- Sembawang-Yishun: 409 buses
Bid Price (5 years)
Bid Price (5 years)
|Bulim + Sembawang-Yishun:
Bid Price (5 years)
|1||SBS Transit Ltd (Alt)*||$443,133,709||$567,294,369||$1,003,089,771|
|2||SBS Transit Ltd (Base)||$446,227,073||$569,935,356||$1,008,839,217|
|3||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd||$482,432,845||$582,062,354||$1,025,102,939|
|4||The Go-Ahead Group Plc||$477,534,701||$591,490,758||$1,057,664,162|
|5||SMRT Buses Ltd||$540,964,300||$695,945,217||$1,189,635,606|
- The price for five years comprises one-off pre-operation costs, as well as the total service fee and lease charges for assets provided by LTA (excluding any adjustment for inflation, change in wage levels and fuel costs, service variation or incentive payment during the contract period).
- *SBS Transit’s alternative proposal differs from the base proposal by having fewer bus captains and lower non-revenue mileage, to be achieved by launching buses from other bus depots under its negotiated contracts. This is similar to SBS Transit’s existing arrangements at Ulu Pandan Bus Depot.
- Guangzhou Public Transportation Group No.3 Bus Co., Ltd was not shortlisted for the tender award. It did not meet the quality pre-qualification requirements as part of Singapore’s bus contracting model (#BCM) two-envelope process.