SMRT Bus Service 981 is a Peak-Hour, unidirectional trunk route between Sembawang Interchange and Senoko Industrial Estate, passing through Canberra Road and Senoko Drive. The route links industrial areas around Senoko and Admiralty Road West with the transport node of Sembawang.
Route Information:Route Details (Click to expand)
|Bus Service 981: Sembawang – Senoko Loop / Senoko Rd
Towards Senoko Loop
||[AM]: Sembawang Bus Interchange → Senoko Loop (Bef Senoko Dr)
[PM]: Senoko Road (Opp Lian Aik Song Machinery) → Sembawang Bus Interchange
|Passes Through||Canberra Road, Senoko Drive|
|Route Length||8.2 km (D1) | 8.3 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||25 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Sembawang||0645hrs – 0915hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)|
|Departure Times from Senoko Rd
||1700hrs – 1930hrs (Weekdays)
1200hrs – 1400hrs (Saturdays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 12 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 13 – 15 mins
After 1900: NA
1700-1900: 18 – 20 mins
After 1900: 17 – 20 mins
Service 981 is a largely industrial route, connecting the many industries around Senoko Loop, Senoko Dr, Senoko Rd, Senoko Avenue and Admiralty Road West with transport nodes at Sembawang Town Centre. The route also serves dedicated sectors along sections of Senoko Road/Drive/Loop with no other bus services.
Operating only on Weekdays and Saturdays, the route plies in a unidirectional fashion, with Senoko-bound trips in the morning and Sembawang-bound trips in the afternoon or evening. (On Saturdays, the return trips are operated in the afternoon rather than the evening.)
Apart from Service 981, services 169 and 856 provide daily bus connections to the industrial areas around Senoko and Admiralty Rd West. High capacity double-deck buses were deployed on weekdays since October 2015 to cope with high demand levels.
MRT Stations Served:
- 1999 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1999: Introduced as a unidirectional peak hour service between Sembawang MRT and Senoko. Morning trips towards Senoko on Mondays to Saturdays, return trips to Sembawang on Weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons.
- 2005 (20 Nov): Amended to Sembawang interchange via Sembawang Drive and Sembawang Vista
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (21 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (12 Oct): Start of Double Decker Bus Deployments
- Refer to this article
- 2005: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2005.
External Links & References: