SBS Transit Bus Service 159 is a trunk service plying between Sengkang Interchange and Toa Payoh Interchange, passing through Buangkok, Hougang Avenue 9, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, Ang Mo Kio MRT, Lorong Chuan, and Lorong 4 Toa Payoh.
|Route||Sengkang Bus Interchange ↔ Toa Payoh Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Buangkok, Hougang Ave 9, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, Ang Mo Kio MRT, Lorong Chuan, Braddel Rd, Lor 4 Toa Payoh|
|Route Length||15.4km (D1) | 16.5km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B10M Mark IV
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0550 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 10 mins
After 1930: 11 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 04 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 15 mins
After 1930: 08 – 15 mins
|Notes||Operates on a Special Weekdays Schedule during ITE College Central’s School Holidays|
Service 159 is a residential route connecting the estates of Sengkang, Hougang, Ang Mo Kio, Lorong Chuan and Toa Payoh. The service offers unique inter-town connections for residents of Hougang Avenue 9 and Lorong Chuan, as well as linking ITE College Central with Ang Mo Kio and Sengkang MRT stations. Demand for this route is moderate throughout the day, with additional high demand during ITE school hours compensated with Shortworking trips 159A and 159B.
- Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Jubilee) → Sengkang Int
0600 (Daily) onwards, Weekdays PM Peak
- Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Opp Blk 710) → Toa Payoh Int
0530 (Daily) onwards
- Service 159A: AM Peak: Sengkang Int → Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 (Opp Blk 710)
0614 – 0906, Weekdays excluding school holidays
- Service 159A: AM Off-Peak: Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (Opp ITE College Ctrl) → Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 (Opp Blk 710)
1100 – 1659, Weekdays excluding school holidays
- Service 159B: Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 (Jubilee) → Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (ITE College Ctrl)
0637 – 1056, Weekdays excluding school holidays
Service 159A helps relieve demand from Sengkang, Buangkok and Hougang to Ang Mo Kio MRT. Service 159B was introduced to relieve demand for the new ITE College Central campus at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 159′s fleet comprises of a majorty of Volvo B10M MkIVs, with Mercedes-Benz Citaros and a Scania K230UBs. A Mercedes-Benz Citaro was added under the BSEP scheme.
Route limitations: No double-decker buses due to low height clearance at Braddel Flyover.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1979 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1977 (25 Apr): Introduced as loop service between Toa Payoh Int and Ang Mo Kio Ave 3
- 1980 (06 Jan): Amended to Ang Mo Kio Ave 3
- 1981 (05 Jul): Amended to Ang Mo Kio Ter at Ctrl 2
- 1983 (26 Dec): Amended to Toa Payoh Int
- 1989 (05 Mar): Amended to ply Lorong Chuan instead of CTE
- 1998 (31 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 2001 (28 Apr): Extended to Sengkang Temp Int
- 2002 (19 May): Amended to air-conditioned Toa Payoh Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2003 (28 Jan): Amended to air-conditioned Sengkang Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2003: Converted to Toa Payoh – Sengkang loop service
- 2005: Reverted back to bi-directional operations
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (07 Jan): Introduction of AM Peak shortworking trip 159B and AM Offpeak return trips of 159A with the opening of ITE College Central
- 2015 (30 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 2001: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2001.