Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #6:
“Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package” (30 bus routes)
First announced on 11 August 2016, the Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM). Currently, SBS Transit operates all bus services in this package under a Negotiated Contract (NC) model until Year 2021.
This package comprises 30 existing bus services mainly originating from Compassvale Bus Interchange, Hougang Central Bus Interchange and Sengkang Bus Interchange, with a handful originating at Punggol, Hougang Street 21 and Marina Centre Bus Terminals.
All bus operations would be based out of Hougang Bus Depot, located off Defu Avenue 1 within the Defu Industrial Estate.
Under a Negotiated Contract, SMRT Buses will operate Bus Service 110 until the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package is awarded to the successful tenderer.
|Name||To Be Announced|
|Awarded||To Be Announced|
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Published||To Be Announced|
|Closing||To Be Announced|
|Services||27, 51, 80, 86, 87, 89, 89e, 102, 107/107M, 110, 112, 113, 115, 116, 117, 132, 151, 151e, 153, 159, 161, 163, 165, 324, 325, 329, 371, 372, 374, 6N|
|Bus Depot||Hougang Bus Depot|
|Anchor Interchanges / Terminals||Compassvale, Hougang Central, Sengkang|
Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package contains 30 bus services, 29 of which are operated by SBS Transit and 1 by SMRT Buses.
|27||Hougang Central ↺ Changi Airport||Trunk|
|51||Hougang Central ↔ Jurong East||Trunk|
|80||Sengkang ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|86||Sengkang ↔ Ang Mo Kio||Trunk|
|87||Sengkang ↔ Bedok||Trunk|
|89||Hougang Central ↺ Airport Cargo Road||Trunk|
|89e||Hougang Central ⇄ Airport Cargo Road||Express|
|102||Hougang Central ↺ Seletar Aerospace Avenue||Trunk|
|107||Hougang Central ↔ Shenton Way||Trunk|
|110||Compassvale ↺ Changi Airport||Trunk|
|112||Hougang Central ↺ Hougang Street 92||Trunk|
|113||Hougang Central ↺ Upper Paya Lebar Road||Trunk|
|115||Hougang Street 21 ↺ Hougang Avenue 3||Trunk|
|116||Hougang Central ↺ Serangoon Central||Trunk|
|117||Punggol ↔ Sembawang||Trunk|
|132||Hougang Central ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|151||Hougang Central ↔ Kent Ridge||Trunk|
|151e||Hougang Central ⇄ Kent Ridge||Express|
|153||Bukit Merah ↔ Hougang Central||Trunk|
|159||Sengkang ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|161||Hougang Central ↔ Woodlands||Trunk|
|163||Sengkang ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|165||Hougang Central ↔ Clementi||Trunk|
|324||Hougang Central ↺ Upper Serangoon View||Feeder|
|325||Hougang Central ↺ Hougang Street 91||Feeder|
|329||Hougang Central ↺ Buangkok Crescent||Feeder|
|371||Sengkang ↺ Rivervale Crescent||Feeder|
|372||Sengkang ↺ Punggol Road||Feeder|
|374||Compassvale ↺ Fernvale Road||Feeder|
|6N||Marina Centre → Punggol Field||Night|
Bus Service 110 is operated by SMRT Buses under Negotiated Contract until the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package contract renewal.
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|27A||Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Tampines Avenue 4 (Opp Century Sq)||Short Trip|
|51A||Jurong East → Pandan Gardens (Blk 407)||Short Trip|
|80A||Sengkang → Aljunied Road (Aljunied Stn)||Short Trip|
|89A||Pasir Ris Drive 1 (Blk 738) → Airport Cargo Road (Airfreight Ter Bldg)||Short Trip|
|107M||Hougang Central ↺ Raffles Boulevard||Supplementary|
|112A||Hougang Central → Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
|113A||Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit C) → Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
||Serangoon North Avenue 4 (Blk 504A CP) → Serangoon Central (S’goon Stn Exit C/Blk 201)||Short Trip|
|117A||Yishun Avenue 1 (Opp Blk 430B) → Yishun Avenue 2 (Bef Khatib Stn)||Short Trip|
|159A||Sengkang → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Bef Ang Mo Kio Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
|159B||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Aft Ang Mo Kio Int) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 (ITE Coll Ctrl)||Short Trip|
|163A||Sengkang → Fernvale Lane (Bef Sengkang West Rd)||Short Trip|
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator will be required to fulfill responsibilities as such:
- Operate the thirty (30) bus services in the areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain Compassvale, Hougang Central and Sengkang Bus Interchanges, and Hougang Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 30 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services will run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services will come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (BCM) article.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2016 (11 Aug): Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages operated by SBS Transit.
- 2017 (22 Oct): New Bus Service 110 operated by SMRT Buses under Negotiated Contract
- 2019 (14 Jan): Short Trip Service 117A added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (10 Feb): Service 163M withdrawn, replaced by Short Trip Service 163A
- 2019 (11 Mar): Short Trip Service 117B added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (15 Apr): Short Trip Service 116A added to the Bus Package
- 2020 (30 Mar): Short Trip Service 117B removed from the Bus Package
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Service 6N temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 89e & 151e temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (24 Apr): Resumption of Bus Service 89e.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Service 151e. Bus Service 6N remain suspended.
External Links & References:
Back to Bus Contracting Model