The Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages under the Bus Contracting Model (BCM).
Under the BCM, bus routes are bundled into bus packages, consisting of a single bus depot, several bus interchanges/terminals, the bus routes and the buses themselves. With all bus infrastructure belonging to the Government, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would contract out the bus package, select a bus operator (through a competitive tendering process), and lease these assets to the new operator.
The successful tenderer operates these bus routes and collects fares on behalf of LTA, while maintaining the associated bus infrastructure (buses & onboard equipment, depots, interchanges & terminals). In return, the operator is awarded an operating fee from LTA and potential bonuses via an incentive framework.
Currently under construction, the Sengkang West Bus Depot would likely take over as the bus depot for this package as part of the tendered package.
PT206 – Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package (Negotiated Contract Term: 2016 to 2024):
As part of the Bus Contracting Model which was fully implemented in September 2016, LTA entered into a Negotiated Contract with SBS Transit to operate bus services under the Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package until the awarded operator for the open tender of the Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package takes over operations. This was announced to be in Year 2021 by LTA in 2016.
In October 2021, the Negotiated Contract was revealed to be extended by 3 years by LTA from 2021 to 2024, in an article (Jury still out on Singapore’s bus contracting model, five years on) by The Straits Times.
|Contract PT206: Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package (Negotiated Contract)|
|Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Duration||01 Sep 2016 – 2024
(extended by 3 years)
||27, 51, 80, 86, 87, 89, 89e, 102, 107/107M, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117/117M, 132, 151, 153, 159, 161, 163, 165, 324, 325, 329, 371, 372, 374, 654, 660, 671 & 672
(32 bus routes)
|Anchor Bus Depot||Hougang Bus Depot|
|Anchor Bus Interchange / Terminal||Compassvale Bus Interchange, Hougang Central Bus Interchange, Hougang Bus Park, Sengkang Bus Interchange|
|27||Hougang Central ↺ Changi Airport||Trunk|
|51||Hougang Central ↔ Jurong East||Trunk|
|80||Sengkang ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|86||Sengkang ↔ Ang Mo Kio||Trunk|
|87||Sengkang ↔ Bedok||Trunk|
|89||Hougang Central ↺ Airport Cargo Road||Trunk|
|89e||Hougang Central ⇄ Airport Cargo Road||Express|
|102||Hougang Central ↺ Seletar Aerospace Avenue||Trunk|
|107||Hougang Central ↔ Shenton Way||Trunk|
|112||Hougang Central ↺ Hougang Street 92||Trunk|
|113||Hougang Central ↺ Upper Paya Lebar Road||Trunk|
|114||Sengkang Central ↺ Buangkok Crescent||Trunk|
|115||Hougang Street 21 ↺ Hougang Avenue 3||Trunk|
|116||Hougang Central ↺ Serangoon Central||Trunk|
|117||Punggol ↔ Sembawang||Trunk|
|132||Hougang Central ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|151||Hougang Central ↔ Kent Ridge||Trunk|
|153||Bukit Merah ↔ Hougang Central||Trunk|
|159||Sengkang ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|161||Hougang Central ↔ Woodlands||Trunk|
|163||Sengkang ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|165||Hougang Central ↔ Clementi||Trunk|
|324||Hougang Central ↺ Upper Serangoon View||Feeder|
|325||Hougang Central ↺ Hougang Street 91||Feeder|
|329||Hougang Central ↺ Buangkok Crescent||Feeder|
|371||Sengkang ↺ Rivervale Crescent||Feeder|
|372||Sengkang ↺ Punggol Road||Feeder|
|374||Compassvale ↺ Fernvale Road||Feeder|
||Anchorvale Street ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||City Direct|
||Buangkok Green ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||City Direct|
||Punggol Road ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||City Direct|
||Hougang Street 51 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||City Direct|
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|27A||Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Tampines Avenue 4 (Opp Century Sq)||Short Trip|
|51A||Jurong East → Pandan Gardens (Blk 407)||Short Trip|
|80A||Sengkang → Aljunied Road (Aljunied Stn)||Short Trip|
|89A||Tampines Expressway (Aft Punggol Rd) → Airport Cargo Road (Airfreight Ter Bldg)||Short Trip|
|107M||Hougang Central ↺ Raffles Boulevard||Supplementary|
|112A||Hougang Central → Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
|113A||Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit C) → Upper Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
||Sengkang Central (Buangkok Stn Exit B) → Buangkok Crescent (Blk 998B)||Short Trip|
||Serangoon North Avenue 4 (Blk 504A CP) → Serangoon Central (S’goon Stn Exit C/Blk 201)||Short Trip|
|117A||Yishun Avenue 1 (Opp Blk 430B) → Yishun Avenue 2 (Bef Khatib Stn)||Short Trip|
|117M||Punggol ↔ Sembawang||Supplementary|
|159A||Sengkang → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Bef Ang Mo Kio Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
|159B||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 (Aft Ang Mo Kio Int) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 (ITE Coll Ctrl)||Short Trip|
|163A||Sengkang → Fernvale Lane (Bef Sengkang West Rd)||Short Trip|
Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package – Negotiated Contract (PT206) Timeline
- 2016 (11 Aug): Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages operated by SBS Transit.
- 2019 (02 Jan): City Direct 660 added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (14 Jan): Short Trip Service 117A added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (10 Feb): Service 163M removed from the Bus Package following its withdrawal, replaced by Short Trip Service 163A
- 2019 (11 Mar): Short Trip Service 117B added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (15 Apr): Short Trip Service 116A added to the Bus Package
- 2019 (22 Jul): City Direct 654 added to the Bus Package
- 2020 (13 Jan): City Directs 671 & 672 added to the Bus Package
- 2020 (30 Mar): Short Trip Service 117B removed from the Bus Package
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 654, 660, 671, 672 & 6N temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 89e & 151e temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (24 Apr): Resumption of Bus Service 89e.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Services 151e, 654, 660, 671 & 672. Bus Service 6N remain suspended.
- 2020 (25 Oct): Bus Service 114 added to the Bus Package.
- 2021 (Oct): Negotiated Package revealed to be extended by three years till 2024 in an article by The Straits Times
- 2021 (29 Nov): Bus Service 117M added to the Bus Package.
- 2022 (01 Jan): Short Trip Service 114A added to the Bus Package.
- 2022 (17 Jan): Bus Service 151e withdrawn and removed from the bus package
- 2022 (30 Jun): Bus Service 6N withdrawn
External Links & References:
- Bus Industry to complete transition to BCM on 1 Sep 2016 – LTA
- Jury still out on Singapore’s bus contracting model, five years on – The Straits Times
Back to Bus Contracting Model