SBS Transit Bus Service 27 is a trunk route running from Hougang Central and looping at Changi Airport, passing through Sengkang and Tampines. It has an express sector between Sengkang and Tampines Ave 10 along the TPE, and between Tampines Avenue 5 and Changi Airport along the PIE. It serves Terminals 3, 1 & 2 in order at Changi Airport.
||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 Bus Terminal (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Buangkok, Sengkang, Tampines Ave 10, 7, 4, 5, Airport Boulevard|
|Route Length||44.5 km|
|Travelling Time||120 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
||0515hrs – 2350hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0530hrs – 2350hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from Changi Airport PTB2
||0554hrs – 0049hrs (Weekdays)
0550hrs – 0044hrs (Saturdays)
0549hrs – 0040hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|0630 – 0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831 – 1659: 06 – 08 mins
1700 – 1900: 07 – 10 mins
After 1900: 08 – 10 mins
Introduced in 1987, Service 27 is one of six daily services to Changi Airport, linking the Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 & 3 with the residential towns of Tampines, Sengkang, Buangkok and Hougang. By using the Tampines Expressway (TPE) between Tampines and Sengkang, it serves as an important route connecting the two towns. In fact, most of service 27’s demand comes from the Sengkang – Tampines sector, with Shortworking Trip 27A supplementing AM Peak demand towards Tampines and PM Peak downroutes from Tampines Avenue 4 heading back to Hougang.
From Tampines Central, Service 34 also heads to the Airport, but takes a longer route through Tampines East. In addition, Service 72 offers comparable travel time between Tampines Central and Hougang, but does not service Buangkok or Sengkang.
Service 27 serves Changi Airport Terminals 3, 1, 2 & 4 in order. It does not serve Terminal 4.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Bus Captains may take a short toilet break at Terminal 2. Because of height restrictions, double-decker buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
A fleet restriction for Changi Airport appears to be in place, with only Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro buses deployed on airport-plying bus services.
Announcements for passengers to inform the Bus Captain if they see any suspicious person or article are played on board public buses at Changi Airport as well.
MRT/LRT Stations Served:
- Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Changi Airport → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays, Saturdays: 0505hrs, 0515hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0505hrs, 0515hrs, 0529hrs
- Tampines Avenue 4 (Tampines Stn/Int) → Hougang Int
Weekdays: 1505hrs, 1521hrs, 1528hrs, 1535hrs, 1542hrs, 1550hrs, 1557hrs, 1603hrs, 1615hrs, 1621hrs, 1628hrs, 1635hrs, 1642hrs, 1648hrs, 1654hrs, 1706hrs, 1712hrs, 1718hrs, 1725hrs, 1736hrs, 1743hrs, 1749hrs, 1754hrs, 1800hrs, 1807hrs, 1822hrs, 1831hrs, 1838hrs, 1845hrs, 1854hrs, 1903hrs, 1912hrs, 1919hrs, 1923hrs, 1930hrs, 1938hrs, 1949hrs, 2016hrs, 2112hrs, 2132hrs, 2229hrs, 2245hrs, 2338hrs, 2356hrs
Saturdays: 0855hrs, 0914hrs, 1744hrs, 1759hrs, 1921hrs, 1930hrs, 2036hrs, 2045hrs, 2148hrs, 2203hrs, 2300hrs, 2317hrs, 0013hrs, 0028hrs
Sundays/PHs: 1807hrs, 1839hrs, 1932hrs, 1958hrs, 2049hrs, 2108hrs
- Service 27A: Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Tampines Avenue 4 (Opp Century Sq)
Weekdays: 0612hrs – 1011hrs, 05 – 12 mins frequency
- 1987 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package.
- 1988: Introduced as Tampines – Changi Airport PTB.
- 1990: Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB2
- 1992: Extended to Pasir Ris Int
- 1993: Amended to serve Tampines Int in both directions
- 1994: Amended into Pasir Ris St 52, while still stopping at Tampines Int
- 1995: Amended back to Tampines Interchange with the introduction of Service 15 and the extension of Service 53 to Changi Airport PTB.
- 1999: Extended to Sengkang Terminal when SBS took over control of Sengkang bus services
- 2001 (28 Apr): Terminus relocated to Sengkang Temp Int
- 2002 (29 Dec): Extended to Hougang Central Int, via Sengkang Ctrl (Buangkok MRT), Hougang Ave 6 & 10.
- 2007 (11 Nov): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB3
- 2009 (20 Oct): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (09 Jan): Converted to loop service
- 2014 (24 Aug): Calls at Tampines Expressway (Punggol Road) Bus Interchange
- 2015 (08 Nov): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along Tampines Ave 9
- 2017 (11 Sep): Last bus timing extended from 2335hrs to 2350hrs daily
- Refer to this article
- 2002: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.
External Links & References: