SBS Transit Bus Service 27 is a trunk route operating between Hougang Central and Changi Airport, via Sengkang and Tampines. It has an express sector between Sengkang and Tampines Ave 10 along the TPE, and between Tampines Avenue 5 and Changi Airport along the PIE.
Alight at Changi Airport Terminal 1 for direct access to Jewel Changi Airport through the arrival hall.
Bus Service 27 will be amended to ply Hougang Ave 4, serving a pair of additional bus stops along Hougang Ave 10 from 28 Aug 2022.
↺ Changi Airport (Loop)
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 Bus Terminal (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Sengkang Central, Compassvale Rd, Tampines Ave 10, Tampines Ave 9, Tampines Ave 4, Airport Blvd|
|Route Length||44.4 km|
|Travelling Time||120 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
||Weekdays & Saturdays||Sundays / Public Holidays|
|05:15 – 23:50||05:30 – 23:50|
|Departure Times from Changi Airport PTB2||Weekdays||Saturdays||Sundays / Public Holidays
|05:54 – 00:48||05:51 – 00:49||05:53 – 00:42|
|Loop Service||6:30am–8.30am||8.31am–4.59pm||5.00pm–7.00pm||After 7.00pm|
|Weekdays||6 – 7 mins||5 – 8 mins||6 – 11 mins||9 – 11 mins|
|Saturdays||7 – 8 mins||5 – 8 mins||8 – 10 mins||8 – 10 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||8 – 9 mins||6 – 9 mins||9 – 10 mins||8 – 10 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Introduced in 1988, Service 27 serves Changi Airport, linking the Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 & 3 with the residential towns of Tampines, Sengkang, Buangkok and Hougang. By using the Tampines Expressway (TPE) between Tampines and Sengkang, it serves as an important route connecting the two towns. In fact, most of service 27’s demand comes from the Sengkang – Tampines sector, with Short Trip Service 27A supplementing morning peak demand towards Tampines and evening peak downroutes from Tampines Avenue 4 heading back to Hougang.
From Tampines Central, Service 34 also heads to the Airport, but takes a longer route through Tampines East. In addition, Service 72 offers comparable travel time between Tampines Central and Hougang, but does not service Buangkok or Sengkang.
Service 27 serves Changi Airport Terminals 3, 1 & 2 in order. It does not serve Terminal 4.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Bus Captains may take a short toilet break at Terminal 2. Because of height restrictions, double-decker buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to the departure hall along T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
Announcements for passengers to inform the Bus Captain if they see any suspicious person or article are played on board public buses at Changi Airport as well.
MRT/LRT Stations Served:
- NE14 Hougang
- NE15 Buangkok
- SE1 Compassvale
- EW2–DT32 Tampines
- CG2 Changi Airport
- Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Changi Airport → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays & Saturdays: 05:05 & 05:15
Sundays / Public Holidays: 05:05, 05:15 & 0529
- PTB3 Basement (Changi Airport PTB3) → Hougang Central Int
Saturdays: 18:44, 20:10, 22:06, 22:27 & 23:13
Sundays / Public Holidays: 18:49, 20:16, 22:16, 22:30 & 23:10
- Tampines Avenue 4 (UOB Tampines Ctr) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 15:27, 15:34, 15:41, 15:48, 15:55, 16:01, 16:07, 16:19, 16:26, 16:32, 16:38, 16:50, 16:56, 17:02, 17:09, 17:15, 17:21, 17:27, 17:40, 17:46, 17:53, 18:00, 18:08, 18:16, 18:25, 18:33, 18:40, 18:48, 18:55, 19:03, 19:11, 19:19, 19:28, 19:43, 20:21, 20:57, 21:35, 22:16, 22:52, 23:30 & 23:49
Saturdays: 08:53, 09:08, 17:47, 18:00, 19:19, 19:28, 20:37, 20:44, 21:48, 22:02, 23:09, 23:26, 00:23 & 00:36
Sundays / Public Holidays: 18:08, 18:45, 19:42, 20:01, 20:51 & 21:10
- Service 27A: Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Tampines Avenue 4 (Opp Century Sq)
Weekdays (except Public Holidays): 06:12 – 09:48
- 1988 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Sengkang-Hougang Bus Package.
- 1988 (24 Jan): Introduced between Tampines Int and Changi Airport PTB (Loop)
- 1988 (23 Oct): Skips a pair of bus stops outside and opposite Tampines Stadium along Tampines Ave 5
- 1990 (13 Oct): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB2
- 1992 (29 Nov): Extended to Pasir Ris Int under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 10
- 1993 (24 Jan): Amended to serve Tampines Int in both directions and ply Pasir Ris St 52
- 1995 (18 Sep): Shortened to Tampines Int with the introduction of Service 15
- 1996: Converted to bi-directional service between Tampines Int and Changi Airport PTB 1
- 1997: Serves additional pair of bus stops outside and opposite Tampines Stadium along Tampines Ave 5
- 1999 (25 Jul): Extended to Sengkang Ter
- 1999: Serves reinstated bus stop outside Blk 298A along Punggol Rd
- 2000: Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite SATS Flight Kitchen along Airport Blvd
- 2000: Serves 2 new pairs of bus stops outside and opposite Tampines Dormitory and before and after Tampines Ind Ave 5 along Tampines Ave 10
- 2000: Serves reinstated bus stop outside Blk 190C along Punggol Rd
- 2001 (28 Apr): Amended to Sengkang Temp Int
- 2002: Serves new pair of bus stops before and after Tampines Ave 9 along Tampines Ave 10
- 2002 (29 Dec): Extended to Hougang Central Int
- 2003: Serves new pair of bus stops before and after TPE along Tampines Ave 10
- 2007 (11 Nov): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB3
- 2009 (26 Oct): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (09 Jan): Converted to loop service between Hougang Central Int and Changi Airport PTB 2
- 2014 (24 Aug): Serves new pair of bus stops before and after Punggol Rd along TPE
- 2015 (08 Nov): Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite CityLife @ Tampines along Tampines Ave 9
- 2017 (11 Sep): Daily last bus timing extended from 23:35 to 23:50
- 2022 (28 Aug): Amended to ply Hougang Ave 4 with the partial closure of Hougang Ctrl to facilitate the construction of Hougang MRT station on the Cross Island MRT Line, serving an additional pair of bus stops outside Blk 513 & Blk 831 along Hougang Ave 10
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles
5 thoughts on “SBS Transit Bus Service 27”
Anyone knows why they don’t add Double Decker buses to this route for buses that do not go to the airport? Example 27A and the many trips starting from Tampines . Since this service has high demand, they should consider deploying double deckers for trips not travelling to the airport.
Service 27 is notorious for its short run time and speeding buses.
Pls askLTA widen the slip road and before joins back to tpe again and add 6 new bus stops so that the people living along sengkang east rd and punggol way donot need to walk so far to aft punggol rd and bef punggol rd . These name are the new bus stops and where should it be placed and lifts and stair case for people to go up
1.Bef Punggol Way (to be placed beside blk 223 on along tpe)
2.Bef Sengkang East Rd(to be placed beside blk 288 beside slip rd)
3. Aft Sengkang east rd
4. Att Punggol way
5.bef punggol rd
6 aft punggol rd
I dont think they should add in more stops. Already overcrowded in just 3 stops… They shld add more buses instead.