SBS Transit Express 89e is an express route between Hougang Central and Changi Airfreight Centre, passing through Sengkang, Loyang Avenue and Nicoll Drive, with an express sector on the TPE between Punggol Road and Loyang Avenue. Its parent route is Service 89.
Service 89e was amended to ply a bus-only corridor along Loyang Avenue & Loyang Way due to the partial closure of Loyang Avenue from 26 Feb 2023.
|Route||[AM]: Hougang Central Bus Interchange → Airport Cargo Road (SATS Cargo Ter)
[PM]: Airline Road (3rd Cargo Agents) → Hougang Central Bus Interchange
|Passes Through||Compassvale Road, TPE, Loyang Avenue, Nicoll Drive|
|Route Length||Towards Airport Cargo Rd: 22.3 km||Towards Hougang Ctrl: 21.8 km|
|Travelling Time||70 – 77 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
||Weekdays, except Public Holidays|
|06:35 – 07:35|
|Departure Times from Airline Road
||Weekdays, except Public Holidays|
|17:51 – 18:39|
|From Hougang Central
|From Airline Road
|Fare||Charges express distance fares
Service 89e plies between Hougang Central and Changi Airfreight Centre, connecting residential estates in Hougang and Sengkang with industrial estates at Loyang and Changi Airfreight Centre.
The route skips Pasir Ris completely, and only calls at selected stops along Loyang Avenue. It plies an extended express sector along TPE between Punggol Road and Loyang Avenue as compared to the regular Service 89 route.
Formerly known as Fast Forward Bus Service 89e, it was rebranded to Express Bus Service 89e on 12 August 2018.
Changi Airfreight Centre
Changi Airfreight Centre is a restricted area and only staff with valid passes are allowed to enter. Auxiliary police officers will board the bus to check for staff passes at the Police Pass Office along Airline Road. Visitors who do not have a pass are to alight at Police Pass Office.
MRT / LRT Stations Served
- NE14 Hougang
- SE1 Compassvale
- SE5 Ranggung
Weekdays (except Public Holidays)
- Morning Peak from Hougang Central Int:
06:35, 06:45, 06:55, 07:05, 07:15, 07:25 & 07:35
- Evening Peak from Airline Road (3rd Cargo Agents):
17:51, 18:03, 18:15, 18:27 & 18:39
- Service 89: Hougang Ctrl Int ↺ Airport Cargo Rd (Loop)
- 2005 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package.
- 2005 (19 Sep): Introduced between Hougang Central Int and Airport Cargo Rd (AirFreight Ter Bldg) during morning peak hours and between Airport Cargo Rd (CIAS Cargo Ters) and Hougang Central Int during evening peak hours as a peak hour one-directional Fast Forward service on weekdays.
- 2009 (23 Feb): Serves additional bus stop outside 3rd Cargo Agents along Airline Rd for evening peak trips
- 2014 (24 Aug): Serves new pair of bus stops before and after Punggol Rd along TPE
- 2015 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (12 Aug): Renamed as an Express Bus Service from a Fast Forward Bus Service
- 2020 (15 Apr – 23 Apr): Temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures
- 2021 (05 Jul): Additional Morning Peak trip added
- 2022 (28 Aug): Amended to ply Hougang Ave 4 with the partial closure of Hougang Ctrl to facilitate the construction of Hougang MRT station on the Cross Island MRT Line, serving an additional pair of bus stops outside Blk 513 & Blk 831 along Hougang Ave 10
- 2022 (27 Dec): Additional Morning Peak trip added
- 2023 (26 Feb): Amended to ply a bus-only corridor along Loyang Ave & Loyang Way with the partial closure of Loyang Ave to facilitate the construction of Loyang Viaduct & Loyang MRT station on the Cross Island MRT Line
Changes in Departure Times:
|Effective Date||Morning Peak Timings||Evening Peak Timings|
|19 Sep 2005||06:50, 07:02, 07:13, 07:24 & 07:35||17:51, 18:03, 18:15, 18:27 & 18:39|
|05 Jul 2021||06:50, 06:59, 07:08, 07:17, 07:26 & 07:35||17:51, 18:03, 18:15, 18:27 & 18:39|
|29 Aug 2022||06:45, 06:55, 07:05, 07:15, 07:25 & 07:35||17:51, 18:03, 18:15, 18:27 & 18:39|
|27 Dec 2022||06:35, 06:45, 06:55, 07:05, 07:15, 07:25 & 07:35||17:51, 18:03, 18:15, 18:27 & 18:39|
Back to Fast Forward Services
Back to Express Services
Back to Bus Services
One thought on “SBS Transit Express Bus Service 89e”
Please consider extending the 89E departures to an earlier timing during evening peak hours. To start at 5.30 or 5.40pm instead of 5.51pm. This is to cater to workers who ends work at 5.30pm or earlier, and to also avoid the jam at TPE towards SLE after 6pm in the evening. Bus service 89 is too long a journey for those staying in Sengkang/Punggol/Hougang and for those connecting to another bus service towards Yishun or Woodlands. It is now even longer ever since the route got diverted to Loyang Way recently.