SBS Transit Bus Service 89 is a circular trunk route connecting Hougang Central and Changi Airfreight Centre, passing through Sengkang, TPE, Pasir Ris, Loyang Avenue and Nicoll Drive, with an express sector on the TPE between Punggol Road and Pasir Ris Drive 12. It has an express variant, Service 89e.
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↺ Airport Cargo Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Compassvale Rd, Pasir Ris Dr 1, Pasir Ris Dr 3, Loyang Ave, Nicoll Dr|
|Route Length||43.3 km|
|Traveling Time||135 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
|Single Deck Bus deployments on Sundays / Public Holidays|
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
|05:30 – 23:00|
|Loop Service||6:30am–8.30am||8.31am–4.59pm||5.00pm–7.00pm||After 7.00pm|
|Weekdays||7 – 11 mins||6 – 14 mins||7 – 14 mins||13 – 15 mins|
|Saturdays||10 – 12 mins||10 – 16 mins||15 – 17 mins||13 – 15 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||13 mins||12 – 16 mins||16 – 17 mins||15 – 17 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 89 is one of three daily trunk services to Changi Airfreight Centre (formerly known as Changi Airport Cargo Complex). It also provides inter-town connections between Hougang, Sengkang, Pasir Ris and Changi Village. It shares its popular Pasir Ris – Sengkang- Changi Village link with Service 109, although plying slightly different routes. On weekdays, it encounters strong demand from the North-East regions to Changi Airfreight Centre and various industries along Loyang Avenue.
Changi Airfreight Centre:
Changi Airfreight Centre (formerly Changi Airport Cargo Complex) is a restricted area and only staff with valid passes are allowed to enter. Auxiliary police officers will board the bus to check for staff passes at the Police Pass Office along Airline Road. Visitors who do not have a pass are to alight and re-board the bus after it returns from completing its loop within the Airfreight Centre (at a separate bus stop opposite Police Pass Office).
Upon tapping out of the bus, the exit reader will display “Ride Suspended”. It will resume the journey when one taps onboard the same service after the bus comes out of the Airfreight Centre. Cash-paying passengers will still have to pay a full fare to their journey after they board the bus.
MRT / LRT Stations Served
- Hougang Ave 10 (Blk 458) → Airport Cargo Rd → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 05:19 & 05:28
- Pasir Ris Dr 1 (Blk 738) → Airport Cargo Rd → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 07:57, 08:12, 15:26 & 16:03
- Pasir Ris Dr 3 (Loyang Pt) → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 05:35, 05:46, 05:57, 06:07, 06:15, 06:23 & 06:37
Saturdays: 05:35, 05:54, 06:12 & 06:31
Sundays/Public Holidays: 05:35, 05:57 & 06:19
- Service 89A: Pasir Ris Dr 1 (Blk 738) → Airport Cargo Rd (AirFreight Ter Bldg)
Weekdays, excluding Public Holidays: 06:09 – 07:42
- Express Bus Service 89e:
[Weekdays Morning Peak] Hougang Central Int → Airport Cargo Rd (SATS Cargo Ter)
[Weekdays Evening Peak] Airline Rd (3rd Cargo Agents) →Hougang Central Int
- 1999 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package.
- 1999 (05 Dec): Introduced between Hougang Central Temp Int and Changi Airport Cargo Complex (Loop).
- 2000 (10 Jun): Serves reinstated bus stop outside Blk 190C along Punggol Rd
- 2001 (20 May): Amended to Hougang Central Int
- 2003: Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite Loyang Ind Est along Loyang Ave
- 2008: Serves new bus stop outside Changi Beach CP 2 along Nicoll Dr, skipping the bus stop opposite Changi Beach CP 2
- 2012 (29 Apr): Serves new bus stop outside Blk 612 along Pasir Ris Dr 1
- 2014 (24 Aug): Serves new Tampines Expressway (Punggol Road) Bus Interchange
- 2015 (22 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)