SBS Transit Bus Service 89 is a circular trunk route connecting Hougang Central and Changi Airfreight Centre, passing through Sengkang, TPE, Pasir Ris, Loyang Avenue and Nicoll Drive, with an express sector on the TPE between Punggol Road and Pasir Ris Drive 12. It has an express variant, Service 89e.
Service 89 was amended to ply a bus-only corridor along Loyang Avenue & Loyang Way due to the partial closure of Loyang Avenue from 26 Feb 2023.
↺ Airport Cargo Rd (Loop)
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↺ Airport Cargo Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Compassvale Rd, Pasir Ris Dr 1, Pasir Ris Dr 3, Loyang Ave, Nicoll Dr|
|Route Length||43.3 km|
|Travelling Time||135 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Double Deck Bus:
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
|Single Deck Bus deployments on Sundays / Public Holidays|
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
|05:30 – 23:00|
|Loop Service||6:30am–8.30am||8.31am–4.59pm||5.00pm–7.00pm||After 7.00pm|
|Weekdays||7 – 11 mins||6 – 15 mins||7 – 16 mins||16 – 18 mins|
|Saturdays||10 – 12 mins||10 – 16 mins||14 – 16 mins||14 – 16 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||12 – 14 mins||11 – 17 mins||16 – 17 mins||15 – 17 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 89 is one of three daily trunk services to Changi Airfreight Centre (formerly known as Changi Airport Cargo Complex). It also provides inter-town connections between Hougang, Sengkang, Pasir Ris and Changi Village. It shares its popular Pasir Ris – Sengkang- Changi Village link with Service 109, although plying slightly different routes. On weekdays, it encounters strong demand from the North-East regions to Changi Airfreight Centre and various industries along Loyang Avenue.
Changi Airfreight Centre:
Changi Airfreight Centre (formerly Changi Airport Cargo Complex) is a restricted area and only staff with valid passes are allowed to enter. Auxiliary police officers will board the bus to check for staff passes at the Police Pass Office along Airline Road. Visitors who do not have a pass are to alight and re-board the bus after it returns from completing its loop within the Airfreight Centre (at a separate bus stop opposite Police Pass Office).
MRT / LRT Stations Served
- NE14 Hougang
- SE5 Ranggung
- NE16STC Sengkang
- SE1 Compassvale
- EW1 Pasir Ris
- Hougang Ave 10 (Blk 458) → Airport Cargo Rd → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 05:19 & 05:28
- Pasir Ris Dr 1 (Blk 738) → Airport Cargo Rd → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 07:57, 08:09, 15:13 & 16:02
- Pasir Ris Dr 3 (Loyang Pt) → Hougang Ctrl Int
Weekdays: 05:35, 05:46, 05:57, 06:07, 06:15, 06:23 & 06:37
Saturdays: 05:35, 05:54, 06:12 & 06:31
Sundays/Public Holidays: 05:35, 05:57 & 06:19
- Service 89A: Tampines Expressway (Aft Punggol Rd) → Airport Cargo Rd (AirFreight Ter Bldg)
Weekdays (except Public Holidays): 05:53 – 07:41
- Express 89e:
(Morning Peak) Hougang Central Int → Airport Cargo Rd (SATS Cargo Ter)
(Evening Peak) Airline Rd (3rd Cargo Agents) →Hougang Central Int
Weekdays Peak Hours
- 1999 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Sengkang–Hougang Bus Package.
- 1999 (05 Dec): Introduced between Hougang Central Temp Int and Changi Airport Cargo Complex (Loop).
- 2000 (10 Jun): Serves reinstated bus stop outside Blk 190C along Punggol Rd
- 2001 (20 May): Amended to Hougang Central Int
- 2003: Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite Loyang Ind Est along Loyang Ave
- 2008: Serves new bus stop outside Changi Beach CP 2 along Nicoll Dr, skipping the bus stop opposite Changi Beach CP 2
- 2012 (29 Apr): Serves new bus stop outside Blk 612 along Pasir Ris Dr 1
- 2014 (24 Aug): Serves new pair of bus stops before and after Punggol Rd along TPE
- 2015 (22 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2022 (28 Aug): Amended to ply Hougang Ave 4 with the partial closure of Hougang Ctrl to facilitate the construction of Hougang MRT station on the Cross Island MRT Line, serving an additional pair of bus stops outside Blk 513 & Blk 831 along Hougang Ave 10
- 2023 (26 Feb): Amended to ply a bus-only corridor along Loyang Ave & Loyang Way with the partial closure of Loyang Ave to facilitate the construction of Loyang Viaduct & Loyang MRT station on the Cross Island MRT Line
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles
3 thoughts on “SBS Transit Bus Service 89”
Hi, im a frequent commuter for service 89. Often travel to and fro from skg to my destination. Service 89 is one of the good services that i know in skg here. Could see that it has good frequency, mostly double deck buses, and with some buses that could charge my phone being deployed, compared to service 109. Always had a pleasant ride when on service 89.
Yesterday bus number 89 SG5935H 15 AUG 2018 at 20:00hrs. I was waiting at bus stop B20 LOYANG AVG towards PASIR RIS. At 20:20hrs number 89 bus arrived. I quickly wave my hand up, but the bus driver did not stop and very fast speed passing by me, i was very angry and get up another bus number 109 from behind and follow the bus in front until the bus stop B01 PASIR RIS DR 3. Finally i manage to get up the bus SG5935H and i question the bus driver and he replying me that he never see me waving hand and point his finger on the number SG5935H and say you can complain me.
Burst bus. Today23 Dec. 2017 at 1150hrs waiting at bus stop 65061. The bus stped behind another bus, so I wait at the sign board post normall ppl Q there for ride the bu’s After few sec. the driver swing out and overtake infront bus and rhe HE drive away. Pls retraining ur driver.