SBS Transit Bus Service 153 is a trunk service plying between Bukit Merah Int and Hougang Ctrl Int, passing through Upper Serangoon, Toa Payoh, PIE, Bukit Timah, Farrer, Queenstown and Bukit Merah. It shares the Hougang – Bukit Merah start/end points with Service 132.
||Bukit Merah Bus Interchange ↔ Hougang Central Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Queensway, Farrer, Whitley, Toa Payoh Central, Braddell Rd, Upp Serangoon Rd|
|Route Length||20.1 km (D1) | 20.4 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||75 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0600hrs – 0000hrs (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Hougang Central
||0530hrs – 2345hrs (Daily)|
|0630hrs – 0830hrs: 09 – 15 mins
0831hrs – 1659hrs: 12 – 16 mins
1700hrs – 1900hrs: 09 – 11 mins
After 1900hrs: 13 – 16 mins
|0630hrs – 0830hrs: 10 – 16 mins
0831hrs – 1659hrs: 09 – 17 mins
1700hrs – 1900hrs: 09 – 12 mins
After 1900hrs: 14 – 19 mins
Service 153 serves as a inter-town route connecting the residential estates of Bukit Merah, Queenstown, Farrer, Toa Payoh, Serangoon and Hougang, providing a quick route between these estates. Demand is moderate throughout the day owing to inter-town connections, and increased during the peak hours.
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
MRT Stations Served
- Lorong 2 Toa Payoh (Opp Toa Payoh Stn) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0603hrs, 0620hrs
Saturdays: 0545hrs, 0600hrs, 0615hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0605hrs, 0618hrs
- Braddell Road (Blk 219) → Bt Merah Int
Weekdays: 0520hrs, 0532hrs, 0544hrs
Saturdays: 0520hrs, 0531hrs, 0542hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0520hrs, 0536hrs
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Lor 1 Toa Payoh and Jln Bt Merah Ter (near Henderson Rd), operated by United Bus Company.
- 1971 (02 Aug): Amended to Toa Payoh Town Ctr.
- 1973 (01 Nov): Operated by Singapore Bus Service (SBS)
- 1979 (23 Dec): Amended to Bt Merah Central Ter
- 1980 (28 Sep): Amended to Bt Merah Int
- 1983 (26 Dec): Integrated with Service 156 and extended to Upp Serangoon Rd Ter
- 1992 (29 Mar): Amended to ply Bt Merah Central
- 1994 (17 Dec): Amended to Hougang Central Int
- 1998 (24 May): Amended to Hougang Central Temp Int
- 2001 (20 May): Amended back to Hougang Central Int
- 2001 (01 Nov): Operated by SBS Transit
- 2002: Calls at a new pair of bus stops after Sommerville Rd and after Sunshine Lodge along Upp Serangoon Rd
- 2004: Skips the bus stop outside Nanyang Pr Sch along Farrer Rd
- 2011 (04 Sep): Calls at a new bus stop outside Botanic Gdns Stn along Bt Timah Rd
- 2015 (28 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1994: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1994.