Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park was a bus terminal along Woodlands Road, just north of Ten Mile Junction and its adjacent heavy vehicle park.
The terminal was formerly used as the terminating point for Bukit Panjang bus services from 16 December 2012, following the closure of the old Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange. When the Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub opened on 4 September 2017, most bus services were relocated to the new interchange. The Bus Park was closed from 23 January 2021, having been replaced by Gali Batu Bus Terminal.
|Name||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park | 武吉班让临时巴士终站|
|Address||21A Woodlands Road, Singapore 677729|
|Former Anchor Operator||SMRT Buses
|Former Bus Routes||2 (SMRT Buses)|
|Berths||Not Applicable (No passenger boarding/alighting)|
Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park was a small bus terminus that opened on 16 December 2012, taking over the former Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange which was closed for redevelopment. Built along Woodlands Road, the terminal sits on a small piece of land formerly occupied by a large heavy vehicle park, a portion of which was re-purposed as a bus terminal. Despite the wide availability of surrounding land, the terminal did not expand beyond the area occupied by the old heavy vehicle park, likely due to land use regulations which are governed by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).
The terminal has a single vehicular concourse area with parking lots in the middle, containing 10 articulated bus and 15 rigid bus lots (excluding parallel parking at the sides). However, the articulated bus lots were commonly used to double-park rigid buses owing to limited space at the terminal. The terminal building features a Terminal office, drivers’ lounge, an NTWU canteen, and toilets. In response to bus drivers’ complaints that vehicle exhaust interfered with their meals, the open-air canteen area was later upgraded with air-conditioning.
A combined ingress and egress leads to a traffic light junction with Woodlands Road and Senja Way. As the vehicular ingress and egress lanes run counter to traffic flow (left lane for exit, right lane for entry), the lanes are painted in green and red for easy distinction.
The terminal does not have commuter facilities. As such, bus services start and terminate at bus stops near Bukit Panjang station or Bukit Panjang Road, and incurring dead mileage plying to and from the terminal. When Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub was opened, only Bus Services 75, 184, and 700/A remained at the terminal. Services 75 and 184 were also enhanced to call at bus stops at Woodlands Road (previously skipped stops). Service 700/A was withdrawn on 30 August 2020.
Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park was closed from 23 January 2021, having been replaced by Gali Batu Bus Terminal. The terminal is currently slated for demolition as part of Contract PT417 – Demolition of Existing Temporary Bus Terminal.
Historical BackgroundHistorical Background (Click to expand)
- 1986: Zhenghua Ter established
- 1987: Bukit Panjang Ter established at Petir Road
- 26 Dec 1999: Bukit Panjang Int opens
- 16 Dec 2012: Bukit Panjang Int closes, relocated to Bukit Panjang Temp Bus Park
- 04 Sep 2017: Most bus services moved to Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub
The first bus terminal established in Bukit Panjang was in 1971 along Upper Bukit Timah Road, which hosted a handful of bus services such as Service 181, 193 and 200. To support the development of Zhenghua New Town, the roadside Zhenghua Bus Terminal was set up in 1986 for Service 5. The following year, in 1987, the terminal was moved to Petir Road (outside present-day Block 118) where it would be known as Bukit Panjang Bus Terminal and supported the New Town for years to come.
A permanent facility would later be built at the junction of Petir Road and Jebulu Road. Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange opened on 26 December 1999, a month after the Bukit Panjang LRT opened, and provided convenient transfers to the new light rail line. That same day, a bus rationalization and handover exercise was conducted to reduce duplication with the LRT network, as well as the transfer of areas of responsibility from SBS to TIBS.
To make way for an Integrated Transport Hub (ITH) over the existing site, the Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange was closed on 16 December 2012, having operated for just 13 years. Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park was constructed further north along Woodlands Road (at the junction with Senja Way), used as a layover point for buses and did not allow for passenger boarding/alighting. Affected services were amended to start and end their service at various bus stops along Bukit Panajng Road, Jelebu Road, Petir Road or Upper Bukit Timah Road, accumulating significant amounts of dead mileage. Additionally, existing services 177 and 180 were amended to loop around the former bus interchange.
With the opening of Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub on 4 September 2017, most bus services were relocated to the new interchange. Bus Services 75, 184 and 700/A continued to terminate at Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park. Services 700 & 700A were withdrawn on 30 August 2020.
To accommodate the closure of Bukit Panjang Interchange and the introduction of Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park, several route amendments were made:
- Service 75, 184, 700, 700A, 920 and 922 begin and end their trips at a pair of bus stops along Bt Panjang Rd (Blk 604 and Blk 183), while incurring dead mileage between Bt Panjang Temp Bus Pk and Bt Panjang Rd. The two bus stops along Bt Panjang Rd were expanded to accommodate the additional bus traffic. In addition, Service 75 was enhanced to call at Bukit Panjang Plaza in both directions before heading to Petir Road.
- Service 176, 975 and 971E begin and end at a new pair of bus stops along Jelebu Road, constructed outside the old interchange (Blk 180 and Opp Blk 180)
- Service 970 starts at a new bus stop at Bukit Panjang LRT and terminates opposite Bukit Panjang Plaza.
- Service 177 converted into a loop service, and does a clockwise loop around Bukit Panjang Road and Jebulu Road while calling at two new bus stops, one at Jebulu Road (Bukit Panjang Plaza) and the other at Petir Road (Mayspring Condo)
- Service 180 converted into a loop service, and does an anti-clockwise loop around Petir Road and Jebulu Road while calling at two new bus stops, one at Petir Road (Bukit Panjang Station) and the other at Jebulu Road (Opp Bukit Panjang Plaza)
In addition, Shortworking Trips 177A and 180A were introduced from Bukit Batok and Boon Lay respectively, terminating at Bukit Panjang. These facilitated the withdrawal of buses from service at Bukit Panjang.
Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park facilities:
- Interchange offices (SMRT)
- Drivers lounge
- NTWU Canteen
Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park does not allow for boarding and alighting of passengers. The entrance of the Bus Park is located at the junction of Senja Way and Woodlands Road.
Bus Services (as of 22 Jan 2021):
|75A||Clementi Road (Opp SIM HQ)||Short Trip Service|
|184||↺ Commonwealth Avenue West|
Service 974 buses layover at Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park.
Gallery (May/Jun 2021):
Gallery (Dec 2017):
Gallery (Feb 2017):
Gallery (May 2014):
External Links & References: