SBS Transit Bus Service 974 is a trunk service plying between Joo Koon and looping at Bukit Panjang, passing through Pioneer, Bon Lay, Jln Bahar, KJE and Choa Chu Kang. Service 974 was launched on Sunday, 8th April 2018. It was the fifth new route to be introduced under the Bus Contracting Model (BCM) after Service 68.
SBS Transit operates Bus Service 974 from 29 May 2021.
↺ Bukit Panjang (Loop)
|Route||Joo Koon Bus Interchange ↺ Upper Bukit Timah Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Upp Jurong Rd, Jurong West St 63, Jln Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang Ave 4, Choa Chu Kang Way|
|Route Length||35.2 km|
|Traveling Time||80 – 110 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Jurong West Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd
|Current Depot||Soon Lee Bus Park (SLBP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
|12-metre Double Deck Bus
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Joo Koon
|05:45 – 22:45|
|After 22:45 till 23:30, buses departing Joo Koon operate as Service 974A, terminating at Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Lot 1/Choa Chu Kang Stn)|
|Loop Service||6:30am–8.30am||8.31am–4.59pm||5.00pm–7.00pm||After 7.00pm|
|Weekdays||12 – 14 mins||12 – 16 mins||13 mins||14 – 16 mins|
|Saturdays||14 – 15 mins||14 – 16 mins||15 – 16 mins||14 – 16 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||14 – 16 mins||15 – 16 mins||15 – 16 mins||13 – 16 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Bus Service 974 is a trunk service from Joo Koon, looping at Bukit Panjang MRT. The route enhances inter-town connectivity and provides Bukit Panjang and Choa Chu Kang residents with access to existing bus services plying Nanyang Technological University and Jurong Industrial Estate. It will also enhance connectivity in the west by linking Bukit Panjang Station (Downtown Line) and Choa Chu Kang Station (North-South Line) to Boon Lay, Pioneer and Joo Koon Stations (East-West Line).
The route relieves end-to-end demand on Service 172 by providing an express bus corridor along the Kranji Expressway (KJE), offering faster journeys between Choa Chu Kang and Boon Lay, as well as complementing existing bus connections between Boon Lay and Joo Koon. Connecting directly to Joo Koon, the route will also benefit commuters travelling between the north of Singapore and industries at Joo Koon via train, reducing the need to transfer between the North South Line and East West Line at Jurong East.
MRT/LRT Stations Served:
- EW29 Joo Koon
- EW28 Pioneer
- EW27 Boon Lay
- NS4BP1 Choa Chu Kang
- BP2 South View
- BP3 Keat Hong
- BP4 Teck Whye
- BP5 Phoenix
- BP6–DT1 Bukit Panjang
- Upp Bt Timah Rd (Bt Panjang Stn Exit A/LRT) → Joo Koon Int
Daily: Between 05:45 – 06:30
Short Trip Service
- Service 974A: Joo Koon Bus Interchange → Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Lot 1/Choa Chu Kang Stn)
Daily: 23:00 – 23:30
- Service 974A (Special Departures): Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) → Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Lot 1/Choa Chu Kang Stn)
Daily: 00:17 – 01:05
Early AnnouncementEarly Announcement (Click to expand)
This route was revealed on 28 January 2018 on mobile applications displaying bus arrival timings using LTA Datamall.
The service was also displayed on the departure timings board of Joo Koon Bus Interchange.
Gallery (SBS Transit)
Gallery (Tower Transit)
- 08 Apr 2018 – 28 May 2021: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
- 29 May 2021 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Jurong West Bus Package.
- 2018 (08 Apr): Introduced between Upp Bt Timah Rd (Bukit Panjang MRT) and Joo Koon Int. Operated by Tower Transit under the Bulim Bus Package. Wheelchair accessible at launch.
- 2019 (05 Oct): Last bus timing from Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) extended from 01:00 to 01:05
- 2021 (23 Jan): Amended to start from Joo Koon Int and loop at Upp Bt Timah Rd (Bukit Panjang MRT) with the closure of Bt Panjang Temp Bus Pk
- 2021 (29 May): Operations transferred to SBS Transit Ltd under the Jurong West Bus Package