SBS Transit Bus Service 8 is a trunk route connecting Tampines and Toa Payoh through Kaki Bukit and MacPherson. Along with Service 28 and 31, it is one of three services plying between Tampines and Toa Payoh.
Bus Service 8 will call at a new pair of bus stops along Ubi Ave 2 from 12 Feb 2017.
Route:Route Details (Click to expand)
|Bus Service 8: Tampines ↔ Toa Payoh
Towards Toa Payoh
|Route||Tampines Bus Interchange ↔ Toa Payoh Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Kaki Bukit, Ubi, MacPherson, PIE|
|Route Length||18.0km (D1) | 17.7km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
Braddell Bus Park (BRBP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Volvo B9TL
– Volvo B10TL
– Volvo Olympian
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Tampines||0530 – 2300 (Weekdays)
0545 – 2300 (Saturday)
0600 – 2300 (Sunday/PHs)
|Departure Times from Toa Payoh
||0600 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 04 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 13 mins
1700-1900: 05 – 08 mins
After 1900: 08 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 05 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 14 mins
1700-1900: 05 – 08 mins
After 1930: 07 – 16 mins
Introduced in 1990, Service 8 is an inter-town route serving between Toa Payoh and Tampines, passing through MacPherson, Ubi, Kaki Bukit, Tampines Ave 2 and Tampines Ave 7. The route serves a unique catchment of both residents (of Toa Payoh, Kaki Bukit and Tampines) and workers heading to the industrial estates (around Ubi and MacPherson), leading to high patronage throughout the day. Double-deck buses make up the bulk of the fleet, but single-deck buses are more common during weekends.
Due to close proximity to future Downtown Line (Stage 3) stations, demand will likely be affected by the opening of the new line, scheduled for 2017.
MRT Stations Served:
- Macpherson Rd (Bef Davidson Rd) → Tampines Int
Fleet: See Above
- 1989 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bishan – Toa Payoh Route Package.
- 1990: Introduced by SBS Transit as a trunk service, plying Pasir Ris – Toa Payoh
- 1992: Shortened to Tampines – Toa Payoh
- 1995: Amended with the opening of Temasek Polytechnic to ply:
– (Direction 1) Tampines Ave 1, (Ave 10), Bedok North Rd, Bedok Reservoir Rd instead of Tampines Ave 1, Bedok Reservoir Rd.
– (Direction 2) Bedok Reservoir Rd, Bedok North Rd, (Tampines Ave 10), Ave 1 instead of Bedok Reservoir Rd, Tampines Ave 1.
- 2011 (04 Sep): No longer calls at the bus stop after Moonstone Lane along Serangoon Rd due to the closure of Whampoa North.
- 2017 (12 Feb): Serves a new pair of bus stops along Ubi Ave 2.
- Refer to this article
- 2011: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2011.