Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #14:
“Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package” (23 bus routes)
First announced on 11 August 2016, the Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM). Currently, SBS Transit operates all bus services in this package under a Negotiated Contract (NC) model until Year 2026.
This package comprises 23 existing bus services mainly originating from Bishan Bus Interchange, Toa Payoh Bus Interchange and Saint Michael’s Bus Terminal, with a handful originating at Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, Ang Mo Kio Ave 9 and Marina Centre.
All bus operations would likely be based out of Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot, which is located along Ang Mo Kio Street 63, just north of Yio Chu Kang MRT.
|Name||To Be Announced|
|Awarded||To Be Announced|
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Published||To Be Announced|
|Closing||To Be Announced|
|Services||8, 21, 26, 50, 52, 54, 56, 73, 88, 124, 125, 139/139M, 142, 155, 157, 186, 231, 232, 235, 238, 410G/410W, CT8, 1N|
|Bus Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot|
|Anchor Interchanges / Terminals||Bishan, Toa Payoh, Saint Michael’s|
Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package contains 23 existing bus services, all of which are currently operated by SBS Transit.
|8||Tampines ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|21||Pasir Ris ↔ Saint Michael’s||Trunk|
|26||Bedok ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|50||Bishan ↔ Punggol||Trunk|
|52||Bishan ↔ Jurong East||Trunk|
|54||Bishan ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|56||Bishan ↔ Marina Centre||Trunk|
|73||Ang Mo Kio ↺ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|88||Pasir Ris ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|124||Saint Michael’s ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|125||Saint Michael’s ↺ Sims Drive||Trunk|
|139||Toa Payoh ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|142||Toa Payoh ↺ Potong Pasir Avenue 1||Trunk|
|155||Toa Payoh ↔ Bedok||Trunk|
|157||Toa Payoh ↔ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|186||Shenton Way ↔ Saint Michael’s||Trunk|
|231||Toa Payoh ↺ Lorong 5 Toa Payoh||Feeder|
|232||Toa Payoh ↺ Toa Payoh East||Feeder|
|235||Toa Payoh ↺ Toa Payoh Rise||Feeder|
|238||Toa Payoh ↺ Lorong 8 Toa Payoh||Feeder|
|410G||Bishan ↺ Shunfu Road||Feeder|
|410W||Bishan ↺ Shunfu Road||Feeder|
|CT8||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 9 ↔ Kampong Bahru||Special|
|1N||Marina Centre → Yishun Ring Road||Night|
Feeder Services 410G & 410W are counted as one service (410).
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|21A||Geylang Road (Bef Lor 18 Geylang) → Kitchener Road (Bef Tai Hoe Hotel)||Short Trip|
|73A||Ang Mo Kio → Toa Payoh||Short Trip|
|88A||Punggol Road (Blk 190C) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 (Opp Ang Mo Kio Stn)||Short Trip|
|88B||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 (Aft Ang Mo Kio Stn Exit A) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 (Bef Yio Chu Kang Rd)||Short Trip|
|139M||Toa Payoh ↺ Jalan Bahagia||Supplementary|
|142A||Toa Payoh → Upper Serangoon Rd (Sant Ritz)||Short Trip|
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator will be required to fulfill responsibilities as such:
- Operate the twenty-three (23) bus services in the areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain Bishan and Toa Payoh Bus Interchanges, Saint Michael’s Bus Terminal, and Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 24 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services will run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services will come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (BCM) article.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2016 (11 Aug): Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages, and operated by SBS Transit.
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 128 & 1N temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Service CT8 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Removal of Bus Service 128 from the Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package. Bus Services CT8 & 1N remain suspended.
External Links & References:
Back to Bus Contracting Modelt