Under the BCM, bus routes are bundled into bus packages, consisting of a single bus depot, several bus interchanges/terminals, the bus routes and the buses themselves. With all bus infrastructure belonging to the Government, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would contract out the bus package, select a bus operator (through a competitive tendering process), and lease these assets to the new operator.
The successful tenderer operates these bus routes and collects fares on behalf of LTA, while maintaining the associated bus infrastructure (buses & onboard equipment, depots, interchanges & terminals). In return, the operator is awarded an operating fee from LTA and potential bonuses via an incentive framework.
PT208 – Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package (Negotiated Contract Term: 2016 to 2026):
As part of the Bus Contracting Model which was fully implemented in September 2016, LTA entered into a Negotiated Contract with SBS Transit to operate bus services under the Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package until the awarded operator for the open tender of the Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package takes over operations. This was announced to be in Year 2026 by LTA in 2016.
|Contract PT208: Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package (Negotiated Contract)|
|Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Duration||01 Sep 2016 – 2026 (will be extended; exact duration yet to be announced)|
||8, 21, 26, 50, 52, 54, 56, 73, 88, 124, 125, 139, 142, 155, 157, 186, 231, 232, 235, 238 & 410G/410W (21 bus routes)|
|Anchor Bus Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot|
|Anchor Bus Interchange / Terminal||Bishan Bus Interchange, Toa Payoh Bus Interchange, Saint Michael’s Bus Terminal|
In November 2021, as part of the Transition of Downtown Line to Version 2 of the New Rail Financing Framework from January 2022, SBS Transit has agreed to a revised service fee rate for five of its existing bus contracts, that is lower than the current service fee and is benchmarked against recent bus tenders after a review with LTA. The five contracts will be extended (by an average of three years) at these revised rates. [LTA Press Release]
As published in an article on The Straits Times, Bishan-Toa Payoh Bus Package is one of the bus contracts that would be extended at a revised rate. However, the exact number of years extended for this bus package has not been announced publicly by LTA.
Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package contains 21 existing bus services, all of which are currently operated by SBS Transit.
|8||Tampines ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|21||Pasir Ris ↔ Saint Michael’s||Trunk|
|26||Bedok ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|50||Bishan ↔ Punggol||Trunk|
|52||Bishan ↔ Jurong East||Trunk|
|54||Bishan ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|56||Bishan ↔ Marina Centre||Trunk|
|73||Ang Mo Kio ↺ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|88||Pasir Ris ↔ Toa Payoh||Trunk|
|124||Saint Michael’s ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|125||Saint Michael’s ↺ Sims Drive||Trunk|
|139||Toa Payoh ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|142||Toa Payoh ↺ Potong Pasir Avenue 1||Trunk|
|155||Toa Payoh ↔ Bedok||Trunk|
|157||Toa Payoh ↔ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|186||Shenton Way ↔ Saint Michael’s||Trunk|
|231||Toa Payoh ↺ Lorong 5 Toa Payoh||Feeder|
|232||Toa Payoh ↺ Toa Payoh East||Feeder|
|235||Toa Payoh ↺ Toa Payoh Link||Feeder|
|238||Toa Payoh ↺ Lorong 8 Toa Payoh||Feeder|
|410G||Bishan ↺ Shunfu Road||Feeder|
|410W||Bishan ↺ Shunfu Road||Feeder|
Feeder Services 410G & 410W are counted as one service (410).
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|21A||Geylang Road (Bef Lor 18 Geylang) → Kitchener Road (Bef Tai Hoe Hotel)||Short Trip|
|73T||Ang Mo Kio → Toa Payoh||Terminating Trip|
|88A||Punggol Road (Blk 190C) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 (Opp Ang Mo Kio Stn)||Short Trip|
|88B||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 (Aft Ang Mo Kio Stn Exit A) → Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 (Bef Yio Chu Kang Rd)||Short Trip|
|125A||Aljunied Road (Opp Aljunied Stn) → MacPherson Road (Bef Siemens Ctr)||Short Trip|
|139A||Toa Payoh → Jalan Bahagia (Bet Blks 33/34)||Short Trip|
|142A||Toa Payoh → Upper Serangoon Rd (Sant Ritz)||Short Trip|
Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package – Negotiated Contract (PT208) Timeline
- 2016 (11 Aug): Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages, and operated by SBS Transit.
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 128 & 1N temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Service CT8 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Removal of Bus Service 128 from the Bishan–Toa Payoh Bus Package. Bus Services CT8 & 1N remain suspended.
- 2021 (Nov): Announcement of extension of bus contract at a revised rate by SBS Transit / LTA as part of the Transition of Downtown Line to Version 2 of the New Rail Financing Framework from January 2022; exact duration of extension has not been announced publicly by LTA.
- 2022 (30 Jun): Bus Services CT8 & 1N withdrawn
- 2022 (11 Dec): Bus Service 139M withdrawn
- 2022 (12 Dec): New Short Trip Service 139A added
External Links & References:
- Bus Industry to complete transition to BCM on 1 Sep 2016 – LTA
- Transition of Downtown Line to New Rail Financing Framework Version Two – LTA
- Downtown Line to transition to new rail financing framework from January 2022 – The Straits Times
Back to Bus Contracting Model