SBS Transit Bus Service 56 is a trunk route running between Bishan and Marina Centre, via Toa Payoh, Novena, Little India and Bras Basah.
- No Boarding & Alighting at Marina Centre Terminal
||Bishan Bus Interchange ↔ Marina Centre Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Toa Payoh, Novena, Little India, Selegie Rd, Bencoolen St, Middle Rd|
|Route Length||12.6 km (D1) | 12.9 km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||70 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bishan
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Marina Centre
||0600hrs – 2345hrs (Weekdays, Sundays & Public Holidays)
0600hrs – 0015hrs (Saturdays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 10 – 18 mins
1700-1900: 13 – 14 mins
After 1900: 13 – 17 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 10 – 17 mins
1700-1900: 11 – 15 mins
After 1900: 15 – 16 mins
Service 56 serves as a supplementary route connecting the residential estates of Toa Payoh and Bishan with the city areas of Marina Centre, Middle Road, Little India and Novena. The large area of coverage between Bishan and Toa Payoh makes it a convenient inter-town route.
Service hours on Saturdays are longer to cater to late-night commuters in the city.
MRT Stations Served
- Bt Timah Road (Little India Stn Exit A) → Bishan Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0604hrs
- Lorong 2 Toa Payoh (Toa Payoh Stn) → Marina Centre Ter
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 1985 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package.
- 1985: Introduced from Bishan St 11 to Toa Payoh (Loop)
- 1986 (28 Dec): Amended to serve Bishan Ter along Bishan St 13, and looping at Toa Payoh
- 1989 (30 Apr): Terminus relocated to Bishan Int.
- 1990 (02 Sep): Merged with Service 150 and extended to Marina Centre
- 2012 (30 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1990: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1990.