SBS Transit Bus Service 139 is a trunk route running between Toa Payoh Int and Bukit Merah Int, passing through St. Michael’s Estate, Jalan Besar / Serangoon Road, Dhoby Ghaut, River Valley, Alexandra and Lengkok Bahru. A route variant (Service 139M) is also operated.
- Bus Service 139 towards both Bukit Merah and Toa Payoh duplicates along Jalan Bahagia. Check the bus destination before boarding.
– Buses displaying the Red 139 Plate head towards Bukit Merah
– Buses displaying the White 139 Plate head towards Toa Payoh
||Toa Payoh Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||St. Michael’s Estate, McNair Road, Towner Road, Jalan Besar / Serangoon Road, Dhoby Ghaut, River Valley, Alexandra, Lengkok Bahru|
|Route Length||17.6 km (D1) | 17.0 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Braddell Bus Park (BRBP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Scania K230UB
12-metre Double Deck Bus
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Toa Payoh||0530 – 0000 (Weekdays)
0540 – 0000 (Saturdays, Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0530 – 0000 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 11 – 15 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 13 mins
After 1900: 13 – 17 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 16 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 13 mins
After 1900: 12 – 17 mins
Service 139 is a trunk route connecting the residential areas of Toa Payoh, St. Michael’s, Boon Keng and Bukit Merah with connections to the city areas of River Valley, Dhoby Ghaut, Little India and Farrer Park. Offering various unique route connections, demand is largely moderate throughout the day. Double-deckers were first added to the fleet in 2011.
The route receives considerable demand between Whampoa and Toa Payoh, as residents of St. Michael’s commute to nearby Toa Payoh Town Centre. The sector has been enhanced with a supplementary bus service, Service 139M, from 14 Sep 2014.
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
MAVIS App Trial
In January 2019, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) launched a six-month Assistive Passenger Information System (APIS) trial for commuters with special needs using an app called MAVIS, short for Mobility Assistance for the Visually Impaired and Special users.
Under the initial trial, 3 buses were equipped with APIS and were deployed on Service 139 serving Enabling Village till end-April 2019, and thereafter redeployed to Service 141 serving Singapore Association Of The Visually Handicapped (SAVH).
During the Committee of Supply Debate 2020, it was announced that the trial would be expanded for 3 years to cover all buses deployed on Services 139 & 141, beginning from Q4 2020.
MRT Stations Served
- Balestier Rd (S’pore Khalsa Assn) → Toa Payoh Int
Weekdays: 0555hrs, 0637hrs
- Service 139M: Toa Payoh Bus Interchange ↺ Jalan Bahagia (Loop)
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bishan – Toa Payoh Bus Package.
- 1971: Introduced between Toa Payoh and Lengkok Bahru (Loop), operated by United Bus Company
- 1979: Amended to Jalan Bukit Merah
- 1980: Amended to Bukit Merah Interchange
- 1983: Amended to Toa Payoh Int
- 1993: Amended to ply River Valley Rd
- 1997: Amended into St. Michael’s Estate
- 1998 (31 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Boon Keng Rd and Bendemeer Rd, under Phase 1 of NEL Rationalisation
- 2011 (16 Oct): Amended to serve Prinsep Street with the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for the construction of the Downtown Line
- 2012 (27 Aug): Introduction of shortworking trip 139A during PM Peak hours.
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (14 Sep): Route variant Service 139M introduced
- 2016 (11 Dec): Resume plying Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works
- 2018 (28 Oct): Amended to serve McNair Rd and Towner Rd towards Bukit Merah.
- Refer to this article
- 2018: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2018.