Shuttle 8, also known as the Tanah Merah—Changi Airport Shuttle Bus Service, is a Rail Replacement Service plying between Tanah Merah and Changi Airport, serving three East West Line (EWL) stations.
The route will be activated to operate on selected Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in January 2018 and 2, 3 & 4 February 2018, when shortened operating hours are implemented across sections of the EWL to facilitate more time for track maintenance and renewal work.
The Shuttle Bus Service serves the following MRT Stations:
|Shuttle 8: Tanah Merah—Changi Airport Shuttle Bus Service|
|Direction 1 – Towards Changi Airport
||Direction 2 – Towards Tanah Merah
||Tanah Merah MRT ↔ Changi Airport Terminal 3 (Changi Airport MRT)
|Passes Through||Expo MRT Station|
|Travelling Time||23 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Not Applicable|
|Operator||Tower Transit and Go-Ahead Singapore
(Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd & Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
|Departure Times from Tanah Merah
||11.16pm — 12.56am (Early Closure on Affected Fridays & Saturdays)
5.20am — 8.07am (Late Opening on Affected Saturdays)
5.47am — 8.07am (Late Opening on Affected Sundays)
5.47am — 12.56am (Full Line Closure on Affected Sundays)
|Departure Times from Changi Airport
||11.04pm — 12.16am (Early Closure on Affected Fridays & Saturdays)
5.31am — 8.19am (Late Opening on Affected Saturdays)
5.59am — 8.19am (Late Opening on Affected Sundays)
5.59am — 12.16am (Full Line Closure on Affected Sundays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|Peak Hours: 03 – 05 mins
Off Peak Hours: 05 – 10 mins
|Peak Hours: 03 – 05 mins
Off Peak Hours: 05 – 10 mins
The Shuttle Bus Service will only operate on affected days in January & February 2018. These Days are: 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 & 28 January 2018, 2, 3 & 4 February 2018.
- On days of Early Closure (5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 & 27 Jan, 2 & 3 Feb), buses will operate from the start time of the early closure till the stipulated last bus timings.
- On days of Late Opening (6, 7, 13, 14, 20 & 27 Jan, 3 & 4 Feb), buses will operate from the stipulated first bus timings till the start time of normal train operations.
- The Shuttle Buses will operate for the entire day on Full Closure days (21 & 28 January).
This Shuttle Service was reflected as Bus Service 489 on the Bus Ticketing System.
Shuttle Bus Departure Timings from Stations
Shuttle Bus Transfer
- Aljunied – Pasir Ris Shuttle Service (Shuttle 7) towards Pasir Ris
Transfer at Bus Stop 85091 Tanah Merah Stn Exit B, New Upp Changi Rd
- Aljunied – Pasir Ris Shuttle Service (Shuttle 7) towards Aljunied
Transfer at Bus Stop 85099 Tanah Merah Stn Exit A, New Upp Changi Rd
- Changi Airport – Bugis Shuttle Service (Express 12) towards Bugis
Transfer at Changi Airport Terminal 3 (Departure Hall Gate 8)
History of ActivationEarly 2017 (Click to expand)
To facilitate track maintenance and renewal work at railway junctions as part of ongoing efforts to renew the North-South and East-West Lines, train service ended earlier on 28 April 2017. Shuttle Bus Services between Tanah Merah – Changi Airport (via Expo) and Tanah Merah – Changi Airport (Express) were activated.
The 5 May 2017 early closure for Tanah Merah – Changi Airport was lifted as works were able to be completed without necessitating a second early closure. The Shuttle Service was not activated as originally planned due to the second early closure being lifted as works were able to be completed without necessitating a second early closure.
To speed up implementation of the new CBTC signalling system, shortened operating hours on the East West Line between Aljunied—Pasir Ris, as well as reduced train frequencies on the North South Line between Orchard—Marina South Pier, were implemented across various Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in January 2018. A total of 11 EWL stations were affected by the reduced train operating hours.
Shuttle 8 is a Rail Replacement Service plying parallel to the East West Line (Changi Airport Branch Line) between Tanah Merah—Changi Airport, serving all en-route stations by calling at nearby bus stops. The last bus from Changi Airport connects to the last Shuttle 7 at Tanah Merah, in both Eastbound and Westbound directions.
Extended to operate on 2, 3 & 4 February due to additional days of shortened operating hours on the East West Line.
Other Rail Replacement Services
The route is one of four Shuttle Bus Services operating during periods of planned closure in January 2018, the other routes being:
- Shuttle 7: Aljunied ↔ Pasir Ris
- Shuttle 11: Aljunied → MacPherson
- Express 12: Changi Airport ↔ Bugis
Charges regular distance fare based on the distance between MRT Stations by rail. Train, bus and hybrid concession passes are accepted, and distance fare rules apply.
|Category||Card Fares||Cash Fares||Concession Passes|
|Adult / Workfare Transport Concession Card holders||Follows MRT Fare structure||$1.00||Train, bus and hybrid concession passes accepted|
|Senior Citizen / Persons with Disabilities Card holders||$0.50|
|Student Concession Card holders||$0.50|
- 2017 (15 Dec): Route announced by SMRT Corporation between Expo and Changi Airport
- 2017 (29 Dec): Route extended to Tanah Merah
- 2018 (04 Jan): Drop off point at Tanah Merah amended to Pick Up & Drop Off Point before BS 85099 from Bus Stop 85099 Tanah Merah Stn Exit A
- 2018 (05 Jan): Launched as a Shuttle Bus Service between Tanah Merah and Changi Airport, operating during periods of MRT closure
- 2018 (19 Jan): Extended to operate on 2, 3 & 4 February due to additional days of shortened operating hours on the East West Line
Also check out:
- Shortened Operating Hours on the East West Line (Jan 2018)
- Reduced Train Frequencies on North South Line (Jan 2018)
External Links & References:
- Shuttle bus services to support shortened East-West Line operational hours for weekends in January 2018 – SMRT
More Photos on the Next Page.