Tower Transit Bus Service 173 is a trunk route running from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and looping at Clementi Bus Interchange, passing through Bukit Batok Street 21, Hillview, Hume Avenue, Upper Bukit Timah, Lorong Kismis, Toh Tuck and Commonwealth Avenue West.
|Loop Service (via Clementi Int)|
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||BBT St 21, Hillview, Hume Ave, Upp Bukit Timah, Lor Kismis, Toh Tuck, Clementi|
|GCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot (BUDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Bukit Batok
||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
2345 – 0100 (Daily | Service 173A*, terminates at Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254))
|0630-0830: 08 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 10 mins
After 1930: 10 – 15 mins
|Notes||Service 173A operates from Bukit Batok Interchange to Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254). Buses leaving Bt Batok Int after 2330 hours will operate as 173A.|
Service 173 is a residential trunk route connecting the housing estates of Bukit Batok and Clementi, and the private estates of Hillview, Hume, Upper Bukit Timah, Toh Tuck and Lorong Kismis to Bukit Batok and Clementi Town Centres. Much of its route serves residents of private estates and condominiums along its route, and it is the only SMRT bus service at Clementi Bus Interchange.
As the route covers low-density estates, demand is relatively low during most parts of day, but particularly high during the peak hours. Between Bukit Batok and Clementi, Service 106 offers a faster journey as compared to this route.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT until its it was re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package) in May 2016. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand and road limitations within the many narrow roads which the route serves.
A shortworking trip, Service 173A, will operate after the last bus has departed Bukit Batok Interchange to connect residents to the housing estates at late hours. During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 173A will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
- Upp Bukit Timah Rd (Beauty World Stn) → Clementi Int
Weekdays & Sunday AM Peak
- Clementi Int → Bukit Batok Int
Saturday AM Peak
- Service 173A: Bukit Batok Interchange → Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254)
Between 2345 & 0100hrs Daily
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services
- 2004 – 28 May 2016: SMRT Buses
- 29 May 2016 onwards: Tower Transit Singapore
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 173 between Princess Elizabeth Estate and New Bridge Road/Neil Road, operated by United Bus Company
- 1987 (06 Jun): Amended to New Bridge Road Ter
- 1990 (10 Mar): Re-routed to Bt Batok Int – Jln Anak Bukit (Loop), via Bt Batok Central and Bt Batok St 21 instead of Bt Batok East Ave 3.
- 1992 (03 May): Extended to loop at Clementi Int
- 2000 (24 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2006 (16 Jul): Amended to ply along Bt Batok Ctrl, Bt Batok Ave 1 & Bt Batok East Ave 6 before entering Bt Batok St 21 and at the same time, amended to Hume Ave instead of Hillview Rd & Upp Bt Timah Rd.
- 2006 (29 Oct): Amended to Clementi Temp Int
- 2011 (26 Nov): Amended to Clementi Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013 (21 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (27 Dec): Amended to skip Jalan Anak Bukit towards Clementi to connect with Beauty World Station
- 2016 (29 May): Re-allocated to the Government Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package), and operations transferred from SMRT Buses to Tower Transit Singapore
- Refer to this article
- 2015: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2015.
External Links & References: