SBS Transit Bus Service 81 is a trunk service plying between Tampines Int and looping at Serangoon Central, passing through Tampines East, Pasir Ris and Kovan. It has an express sector along the KPE and TPE between Pasir Ris Drive 12 and Tampines Rd.
|Bus Service 81: Tampines ↺ Serangoon Central (Loop)
||Looping at Serangoon Central
||Tampines Bus Interchange ↺ Serangoon Central (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Tampines Ave 7, Pasir Ris Dr 1, Tampines Rd, Upp S’goon Rd|
|Route Length||34.2 km|
|Travelling Time||92 – 140 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Tampines Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
– Volvo B10TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Tampines||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays)
0545hrs – 2330hrs (Saturdays, Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Departure Times from Serangoon Central (S’goon Stn Exit B)||0545hrs – 0030hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 0030hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|0630 – 0830: 10 – 12 mins
0831 – 1659: 07 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 07 – 14 mins
After 1900: 13 – 18 mins
Service 81 is an inter-town service, connecting the housing estates of Serangoon, Kovan, Pasir Ris and Tampines with an express sector along the Kallang – Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) and Tampines Expressway (TPE).
Service 53 also plies via Pasir Ris and Serangoon, but takes an alternate route through Hougang Ave 1. Good demand is also present between Tampines and Pasir Ris.
In 2011, this route was converted from a bi-directional trunk service to a loop service owing to lack of space in the new Serangoon Interchange.
Although this service is wheelchair-accessible, passengers in wheelchair will not be able to board Service 81 from Tampines Interchange due to the wheelchair inaccessible end-on berth.
- Serangoon Central (S’goon Stn Exit B) → Tampines Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0554hrs, 0603hrs, 0612hrs, 0621hrs, 0030hrs
Saturdays: 0545hrs, 0558hrs, 0611hrs, 0623hrs, 0030hrs
Sundays & Public Holidays: 0600hrs, 0617hrs, 0030hrs
MRT Stations Served:
Fleet: See above.
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Tampines Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as a Tampines Rd (near Upp Changi Rd) – New Bridge Rd service. Operated by Associated Bus Services.
- 1987 (06 Jun): Amended to New Bridge Rd Terminal
- 1988 (23 Oct): Extended to Tampines Int.
- 1989: Amended to ply Loyang Ave, Pasir Ris Dr 1 and Elias Rd, skipping TPE.
- 1996 (03 Sep): Amended to ply Pasir Ris Dr 12 and TPE instead of Elias Rd and (Old) Tampines Rd.
- 1998: Amended to ply Middle Road, skipping Stamford Rd and Bras Basah Rd
- 2003 (27 Jul): Shortened to Serangoon Int, under Phase 2 of NEL Rationalisation. Also amended to Hougang Ave 3 between Tampines Rd and Upp Serangoon Rd
- 2007 (23 Jun): Amended to ply part of KPE (between Defu Flyover at Tampines Rd & Tampines Flyover at TPE) temporarily named as Tampines Service Rd.
- 2011 (03 Sep): Amended to loop at Serangoon Central and Boundary Road following the opening of the new Serangoon Bus Interchange.
- 2017 (21 Aug): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 2011: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2011.
External Links & References: