Tower Transit Bus Service 49 is a trunk route from Jurong East Bus Interchange and looping at Jurong West Street 42, passing through Corporation Drive, Boon Lay Way and Jurong West Street 51. It is the sixteenth bus service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme.
Service 49 towards Jurong West Street 42 serves 2 additional bus stops along Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim from 27 Nov 2022.
↺ Jurong West St 42 (Loop)
|Route||Jurong East Bus Interchange ↺ Jurong West Street 42 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Yung Ho Rd, Corporation Dr, Boon Lay Way, Jurong West St 51|
|Route Length||23.8 km|
|Travelling Time||85 – 105 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
(Tower Transit Singapore)
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
|Double Deck Bus
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Jurong East
|06:00 – 23:30|
|Loop Service||9 – 14 mins||9 – 14 mins||9 – 10 mins||14 – 15 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 49 provides residents of Taman Jurong and Jurong West Street 41 / 42 with greater connectivity to Lakeside MRT Station and Jurong East Interchange / MRT, along with other amenities in the neighborhood. By complimenting existing bus lines such as 98, 154, 240, 334 and 335, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied various other bus services to and from Lakeside MRT. This is the sixteenth bus service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
At introduction on 14 December 2013, Service 49 was unique in having a new bus terminal constructed for its use. Roadside bus terminals were popular in the 1970s, and dwindled in number in favor of centralized bus interchanges, especially so when more Integrated Transport Hubs (ITHs) are being constructed. As there are no major bus interchanges near the area, Tamam Jurong Bus Terminal was constructed for the ease of operating this service without forcing it to terminate at the nearest interchange. During its first two days of operation (14 & 15 Dec 2013), Service 49 offered free rides for residents to try out the new service. This was carried out with the partnership of Yuhua SMC, Jurong GRC and the Land Transport Authority.
Boarding and alighting was not allowed at Taman Jurong Bus Terminal. Initially, the first passenger stop (Service 49 Red Plate) of the route was at Corporation Dr (Opp Blk 158), whereas the last passenger stop (Service 49 White Plate) was at Yuan Ching Road (Blk 143). On 9 November 2014, Service 49 was amended to call at several bus stops in Taman Jurong Estate twice in different directions. Red and white service plates were used to distinguish the direction of travel in addition to Electronic Display Signages (EDS) on buses.
- Red plate indicates buses heading for Jurong West Street 41;
- White plate indicates buses heading for Taman Jurong Ter.
Service 49 underwent a major amendment from 22 November 2015, extending its route from Taman Jurong to Jurong East Temporary Interchange. The new routing from Jurong East Interchange plied Boon Lay Way, Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim, Yung Ho Road, Corporation Drive and Yung Kwang Road (express) before rejoining its original route along Yuan Ching Road. With the amendment, the red / white plate system for Service 49 was discontinued.
The new route enhanced connectivity to the new Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and improved bus connections between Jurong East and Taman Jurong.
Miscellaneous: Early Poster Release
In late October 2015, the Service 49 Route Extension to Jurong East poster was uploaded to “The Yuhua Family” Facebook Page. The poster indicated that the extension was to take place on 15 Nov 2015. However, LTA had delayed the extension to 22 Nov 2015, one week later than the planned extension. The poster was subsequently removed from the Facebook Page.
MRT Stations Served
- EW24NS1 Jurong East
- EW26 Lakeside
- Corporation Drive (Blk 158) → Jurong East Int via Jurong West Street 42
Daily: 06:00 & 06:09
- Jurong West Street 42 (Blk 551) → Jurong East Int
Daily: 06:00 & 06:08
- 14 Dec 2013 – 25 Jun 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 26 Jun 2016 – Present: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under Bulim Bus Package.
- 2013 (14 Dec): Introduced from Taman Jurong to Jurong West Street 42 (Loop), via Corporation Drive, Boon Lay Way and Jurong West Street 51 under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
- 2014 (23 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (09 Nov): Amended to ply Corporation Dr, Yung Ho Rd and Yuan Ching Rd in both directions
- 2015 (22 Nov): Extended to Jurong East Temp Int and amended to ply Corporation Dr and Yung Kuang Rd
- 2016 (26 Jun): Operations transferred to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd
- 2020 (06 Dec): Amended to relocated Jurong East Int
- 2022 (27 Nov): Serves 2 additional bus stops before Jurong Port Rd and after Corporation Pl along Jln Ahmad Ibrahim
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles