SBS Transit Bus Service 53 is a long trunk route running from Bishan and looping at Changi Airport, travelling via Serangoon, Lorong Ah Soo and Pasir Ris, with express sectors along the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) and Tampines Expressway (TPE). These express sectors are between Tampines Road and Pasir Ris Drive 12 (KPE/TPE) and between Loyang Avenue and Airport Boulevard (TPE).
|Route||Bishan Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Serangoon, Lorong Ah Soo, KPE/TPE, Pasir Ris, TPE|
|Travelling Time||150mins (Full route)|
|BCM Route Package
||Serangoon – Eunos Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bishan
||0530 – 2315 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Airport PTB2||0556 – 0024 (Weekdays)
0620 – 0030 (Saturdays)
0616 – 0024 (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 06 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 11 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 12 mins
After 1930: 10 – 12 mins
Service 53 is an inter-town route connecting the residential towns of Bishan, Serangoon Central, Lorong Ah Soo and Pasir Ris with Changi Airport. It also serves the role of connecting Serangoon MRT to outlying housing estates. This service also compliments Service 81 between Pasir Ris and Serangoon Central, travelling via Tampines Expressway (TPE) and Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) in both directions, offering a quick bus connection between these areas.
Between Bishan and Pasir Ris, service 53 plies the shorter route compared to service 58 and 88, via the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE). In Bishan, Services 53 and 58 both start their eastbound trips towards Pasir Ris (and Changi Airport, only for service 53) from Bishan Interchange, while services 58 and 88 call at the bus stops outside the Bishan MRT Station (53231 Bishan Stn & 53239 Opp Bishan Stn). In Pasir Ris, service 53 calls at the bus stops in close proximity to Pasir Ris MRT station along Pasir Ris Drive 1 (77031 Aft Pasir Ris Ctrl & 77039 Bef Pasir Ris Ctrl), while services 58 & 88 terminate at Pasir Ris Interchange.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels. Auxiliary police officers board the bus and check for unattended or suspicious articles before entering the basements. Buses may layover at Changi Airport PTB2 for a short while before continuing on its journey, and passengers need not alight or change buses. Because of height restrictions, double-decker buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement.
Occasionally when the basements of any Changi Airport PTB is closed, buses will be diverted to the departure drop-off point where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
- Serangoon Central (Blk 206) → Bishan via Changi Airport
Weekdays: 0535hrs, 2118hrs
Saturdays: 0535hrs, 0541hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0535hrs, 0553hrs
- Tampines Rd (Aft Hougang Ave 3) → Bishan via Changi Airport
Weekdays: 0520hrs, 0530hrs, 0539hrs
Saturdays: 0530hrs, 0540hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0530hrs, 0539hrs
- Pasir Ris Dr 12 (Aft TPE) → Bishan via Changi Airport
- Loyang Ave (Blk 149A) → Bishan Int
Weekdays: 0530hrs, 0540hrs, 0550hrs
Saturdays: 0600hrs, 0615hrs
- Tampines Rd (Aft Defu Ave 1) → Bishan Int
Weekdays: 0535hrs, 0544hrs
Saturdays: 0535hrs, 0551hrs, 0607hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0555hrs, 0608hrs, 0635hrs
Many early morning mid-route departures (sometimes called ‘downroutes’) are used for this service to serve residential estates before the first bus can arrive from Bishan Int.
- Service 53A: Pasir Ris Drive 1 (Blk 738) → Changi Airport PTB 2
Weekdays: 0714hrs – 0817hrs [From 01 Sep 2016]
- Service 53M: Hougang Avenue 1 ↺ Serangoon Central (Loop)
Daily: 0600hrs – 2300hrs
For more information, click on the service number to visit the dedicated article.
Service 53 previously had two Shortworking Trips, 53A and 53B, introduced in 2012 and operating during the morning and evening peak hours respectively. They were combined into a full-day supplementary Service 53M in 2015.
|Service 53 – Bishan ↺ Changi Airport (Loop)|
MRT Stations served by this route:
- 1994 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2025 under the Serangoon – Eunos Bus Package.
- 1994: Introduced by SBS from Bishan Int to Hougang St 22 (Loop)
- 1995: Extended to Changi Airport PTB
- 1996: Amended to ply Pasir Ris Dr 12
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Serangoon Central and Upp Serangoon Rd, under NEL rationalisation phase 1.
- 2007 (23 Jun): Amended to ply along KPE between TPE and Tampines Rd (then known as Tampines Service Rd)
- 2007 (11 Nov): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB3
- 2009 (26 Oct): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (09 Jan): Converted to loop service
- 2012 (27 Feb): Introduction of shortworking trips 53A and 53B to better cater to AM and PM Peak demand between Serangoon and Lor Ah Soo / Hougang Ave 1.
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2015 (16 Aug): Service 53M introduced to replace Shortworking Trips 53A and 53B.
- 2016 (01 Sep): Shortworking Trip 53A introduced from Pasir Ris Drive 1 to Changi Airport PTB2.
- Refer to this article
- 2007: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2007.
External Links & References: