SBS Transit Bus Service 101 is a trunk route from Serangoon Int and looping at Buangkok Crescent, passing through Upper Serangoon Road, Hougang Central, Hougang Street 91 and Buangkok Link.
Bus Service 101 loops at Buangkok Crescent from 25 August 2019, calling at 2 new bus stops along Buangkok Crescent and skipping 2 bus stops along Buangkok Link.
|Route||Serangoon Bus Interchange ↺ Buangkok Crescent (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Upper Serangoon Rd, Hougang Central, Hougang Street 91, Buangkok Link|
|Route Length||15.8 km|
|Travelling Time||59 – 85 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Serangoon – Eunos Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Serangoon
||0515hrs – 0000hrs (Daily)|
|0630-0830: 08 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700-1900: 08 – 09 mins
After 1900: 08 – 14 mins
Service 101 serves as a residential trunk route connecting large parts of Hougang Neighbourhoods 4, 5 and 9 to Hougang MRT, further travelling to Serangoon and running parallel to the North-East Line. Demand is most significant during the peak hours where many commuters commute to and from home and the MRT network.
Amendment to Buangkok Crescent
Service 101 will be amended to loop at Buangkok Crescent from 25 Aug 2019, serving 2 new bus stops along Buangkok Crescent and skipping 2 stops along Buangkok Link.
In a Facebook post explaining the route amendment, Member of Parliament for Ang Mo Kio GRC (Jalan Kayu) Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar revealed that the Land Transport Authority had initially wanted to amend Service 101 to ply Buangkok Crescent to Buangkok MRT Station. However, she mentioned that “many residents living along Buangkok Link will be omitted entirely and not have any bus service serving them”, although Bus Service 329 currently serves one side of Buangkok Link. In lieu of her concern, LTA reviewed the route amendment plan and it was changed to that effective 25 August 2019, where Service 101 would loop at Buangkok Crescent and not serve Buangkok MRT Station. LTA would then continue to study commuter feedback for Service 101 over the next six months (from 25 August 2019) to better understand how the bus service can be improved. In addition, she had also emphasised the need for a direct bus service that would Buangkok estate (Crescent and Link) residents to and from Buangkok MRT.
MRT Stations Served:
- Upp Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B) → Serangoon Int via Buangkok Cres
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 1989 – 2001: Singapore Bus Service Ltd
- 2001– Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2025 under the Serangoon – Eunos Bus Package.
- 2004 (15 Feb): Introduced as Service 101 between Serangoon and Buangkok Cres (Loop), replacing Feeder 328 due to the closure of Hougang South Int
- 2005 (14 Aug): Amended to loop at Buangkok Link.
- 2011 (03 Sep): Amended to Serangoon Ave 2 instead of Serangoon Central with the opening of the new Serangoon Int.
- 2011 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (Dec): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2017 (09 Jul): Calls at an additional pair of bus stops at Buangkok Link
- 2018 (23 Dec): Serves a new bus stop (66559 – Opp Blk 984A) along Buangkok Link
- 2019 (25 Aug): Amended to loop at Buangkok Crescent
- Refer to this article
- 2019: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2019.