SBS Transit Bus Service 101 is a trunk route from Serangoon Int and looping at Buangkok Crescent, passing through Upper Serangoon Road, Kovan, Hougang Central, Hougang Avenue 4/8, Hougang Street 91, and Buangkok Link.
↺ Buangkok Cres (Loop)
|Route||Serangoon Bus Interchange ↺ Buangkok Crescent (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Upp Serangoon Rd, Hougang Ctrl, Hougang St 51, Buangkok Green, Buangkok Link|
|Route Length||15.8 km|
|Travelling Time||59 – 85 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Serangoon–Eunos Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Serangoon
|05:15 – 00:00|
|Weekdays||8 – 9 mins||7 – 13 mins||8 – 9 mins||8 – 14 mins|
|Saturdays||10 mins||9 – 13 mins||11 – 13 mins||11 – 12 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||10 mins||9 – 12 mins||9 – 13 mins||11 – 13 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 101 is a residential trunk route linking large parts of Hougang Neighbourhoods 4, 5 and 9 to Hougang Central, Kovan and Serangoon, offering connectivity to these transport nodes and nearby community amenities. Demand is most significant during the peak hours where many commuters commute to and from home and the MRT network.
Cancelled Extension to Buangkok MRT Station
In a Facebook post on 9 August 2020, Member of Parliament (MP) for Ang Mo Kio GRC (Jalan Kayu) Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar revealed that the Land Transport Authority had initially wanted to amend Service 101 to ply Buangkok Crescent to Buangkok MRT Station. However, she mentioned that “many residents living along Buangkok Link will be omitted entirely and not have any bus service serving them”, although Bus Service 329 currently serves one side of Buangkok Link. In lieu of her concern, LTA reviewed the route amendment plan and it was changed to that effective 25 August 2019, where Service 101 would loop at Buangkok Crescent and not serve Buangkok MRT Station. LTA would then continue to study commuter feedback for Service 101 over the next six months (from 25 August 2019) to better understand how the bus service can be improved. In addition, she had also emphasised the need for a direct bus service that would connect Buangkok estate (Crescent and Link) residents to and from Buangkok MRT.
In a follow-up Facebook post on 4 July 2020, the MP disclosed that LTA had agreed to extend service 101 to ply between Buangkok Crescent estate and Buangkok MRT station. The details of the new route of service 101 and its implementation date would be shared with residents as soon as they are available.
Initially announced in September 2020, the planned route extension of Bus Service 101 was due to take place on 11 October 2020.
However, the route extension was cancelled by the Land Transport Authority on 2 October 2020, following feedback from commuters and Grassroots Adviser Ms Ng Ling Ling. In particular, concerned was raised regarding the skipping of two bus stops along Buangkok Link as part of the amendment.
In lieu of Service 101’s planned route extension, Service 114 would be introduced from Buangkok MRT Station to loop at Buangkok Crescent instead from 25 October 2020.
MRT Stations Served:
- Upp Serangoon Road (Kovan Stn Exit B) → Serangoon Int via Buangkok Cres
- 2004 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2025 under the Serangoon-Eunos Bus Package.
- 2004 (15 Feb): Introduced between Serangoon and Buangkok Cres (Loop), replacing Feeder 328 due to the closure of Hougang South Int
- 2005 (14 Aug): Amended to loop at Buangkok Link, skipping Buangkok Cres
- 2009 (19 Apr): Serves new pair of bus stops outside Blk 834 and outside Hougang Polyclinic along Hougang Ave 4
- 2011 (03 Sep): Amended to Serangoon Integrated Transport Hub.
- 2011 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2017 (09 Jul): Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite Blk 991B along Buangkok Link
- 2018 (23 Dec): Serves a new bus stop (66559) along Buangkok Link
- 2019 (25 Aug): Amended to loop at Buangkok Crescent after Buangkok Link
- 2020 (Sep): Announced by the Land Transport Authority to be extended to Buangkok MRT Station from 11 Oct 2020
- 2020 (02 Oct): Planned extension to Buangkok MRT Station announced to be cancelled