Tower Transit Bus Service 189 is a trunk route running from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and looping at Clementi Avenue 1, passing through Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Street 23, AYE, Clementi Avenue 6 and Clementi MRT.
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Bukit Batok East Ave 6, Bukit Batok St 23, Clementi Ave 6, Commonwealth Ave West|
|Route Length||16.3 km|
|Traveling Time||51 – 81 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
(Tower Transit Singapore)
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Yutong E12
|12-metre Double Deck Bus
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Bukit Batok
|05:45 – 23:15|
|Buses departing Bukit Batok after 23:15 to 01:10 operates as Service 189A and terminates at Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg)
|Loop Service||6 – 7 mins||6 – 11 mins||6 – 12 mins||11 – 12 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 189 is an inter-town route serving between Bukit Batok and looping at Clementi Ave 1, via Bukit Batok Neighbourhood 2, Bukit Batok Street 23, Clementi Avenue 6, Clementi MRT and Clementi Road.
The route is well patronized between the industrial areas around Bukit Batok Street 23 and Bukit Batok MRT, with Short Trip Service 189A performing supplementary trips during Weekdays AM Peak, and scheduled mid-route departures (“downroutes”) in the reverse direction during Weekdays PM Peak. The sector between Clementi MRT and Clementi Ave 1 receives moderate demand due to the area’s presently limited residential developments, but encounters high demand from students heading to the educational institutions along Clementi Avenue 1.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT until its it was re-allocated to the Bus Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package) in May 2016. High capacity articulated buses are deployed during weekday peak hours back then, and double-deck buses were deployed since 26 October 2015.
In 2014, SMRT Service 189 was involved in a small scale bus loading trial where buses were equipped with electronic displays beside the front door, which indicates when the next bus will arrive and the passenger loading onboard that bus. The trial was never expanded, and LTA subsequently released bus loading information for mobile apps in addition to expected time of arrival.
MRT Stations Served
- C’Wealth Ave West (Clementi Stn Exit B) → Bukit Batok Int via Clementi Ave 1
- Bukit Batok St 23 (Midview Bldg) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays Evening Peak Hours
Short Trip Service
- Service 189A: Bukit Batok Int → Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg)
Weekdays: 07:03 – 08:59
Daily: After 23:15 – 01:10
After 23:15 daily, buses will be renumbered as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23, Opp Midview Building.
During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 189A will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
- 1974 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services
- 2004 – 28 May 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 May 2016 – Present: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Bulim Bus Package.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Re-numbered from Service 193A as a service between Commonwealth Ave Ter and South Canal Rd Ter under 1974 Bus Rationalisation
- 1974 (08 Dec): Amended to ply Cecil St, skipping Robinson Rd
- 1979 (15 Jan): Amended to loop at Empress Pl and amended to ply Commonwealth Ave, Alexandra Rd, Lower Delta Rd, Jln Bt Merah and Kg Bahru Rd
- 1979 (11 Feb): Amended to ply the extended Shenton Way towards Commonwealth Ave Ter, skipping Parsi Rd and Anson Rd
- 1980 (20 Jan): Amended to ply Spottiswoode Park Rd with the partial conversion of Cantonment Rd to one-way traffic
- 1982: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1985 (24 Nov): Extended to Bt Batok Ter and Marina Ctr Ter
- 1986 (30 Nov): Amended to the relocated Marina Ctr Ter along Raffles Blvd
- 1987 (27 Sep): Amended to Bt Batok Int
- 1987 (01 Nov): Amended to ply Eu Tong Sen St towards Marina Ctr Ter to facilitate the second stage of road expansion along New Bridge Rd
- 1991 (28 Apr): Shortened to loop at Clementi West St 2, integrated with Service 366 and amended to ply Bt Batok Central, Bt Batok Ave 1, Bt Batok East Ave 6 and Bt Batok St 23 under TransitLink Network Integration Exercise Phase 4
- 1996 (06 May): Extended to loop at West Coast Ferry Ter, skipping Clementi West St 2
- 1996: Amended to ply PIE and Clementi Ave 6, skipping Toh Tuck Ave
- 1999: Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite West Bay Resort Condo along West Coast Rd
- 2000 (18 Jun): Operations transferred to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2001 (15 Apr): Shortened to loop at Kent Ridge Ter
- 2004 (10 May): Operated by SMRT Buses Ltd
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (23 Nov): Amended to loop at Clementi Ave 1 with the introduction of Service 201, skipping West Coast Rd and Kent Ridge Ter
- 2016 (29 May): Operations transferred to Tower Transit Singapore under Bulim Bus Package