Tower Transit Bus Service 189 is a trunk route running from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and looping at Clementi Avenue 1, passing through Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Street 23, AYE, Clementi Avenue 6 and Clementi MRT.
↺ Clementi Ave 1 (Loop)
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Bukit Batok East Ave 6, Bukit Batok St 23, Clementi Ave 6, Commonwealth Ave West|
|Route Length||16.3 km|
|Travelling Time||51 – 81 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
(Tower Transit Singapore)
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
|Double Deck Bus
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95 (3-Door)
– Volvo B9TL
– Yutong E12DD
|Departure Times from Bukit Batok
|05:45 – 23:15|
|Buses departing Bukit Batok after 23:15 to 01:10 operates as Service 189A and terminates at Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg)
|Loop Service||7 – 8 mins||6 – 13 mins||7 – 11 mins||14 – 15 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 189 is an inter-town route serving between Bukit Batok and looping at Clementi Ave 1, via Bukit Batok Neighbourhood 2, Bukit Batok Street 23, Clementi Avenue 6, Clementi MRT and Clementi Road.
The route is well patronized between the industrial areas around Bukit Batok Street 23 and Bukit Batok MRT, with Short Trip Service 189A performing supplementary trips during Weekdays Morning Peak, and scheduled mid-route departures (“downroutes”) in the reverse direction during Weekdays Evening Peak. The sector between Clementi MRT and Clementi Ave 1 receives moderate demand due to the area’s presently limited residential developments, but encounters high demand from students heading to the educational institutions along Clementi Avenue 1.
In 2014, SMRT Bus Service 189 was involved in a small scale bus loading trial where buses were equipped with electronic displays beside the front door, which indicates when the next bus will arrive and the passenger loading onboard that bus. The trial was never expanded, and LTA subsequently released bus loading information for mobile apps in addition to expected time of arrival.
MRT Stations Served
- NS2 Bukit Batok
- EW23 Clementi
- C’Wealth Ave West (Clementi Stn Exit B) → Bukit Batok Int via Clementi Ave 1
Weekdays: 05:58, 07:05 & 07:13
- Clementi Rd (NUS High Sch) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays: 13:34, 14:24, 14:42, 14:51 & 15:09
- Bukit Batok St 23 (Midview Bldg) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays: 17:05, 17:13, 17:21, 17:34, 17:42, 17:50, 18:05, 18:13, 18:21, 18:35, 18:42 & 18:49
Short Trip Service
- Service 189A: Bukit Batok Int → Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg)
Weekdays: 07:01 – 08:59 & 23:30 – 01:10
Saturdays & Sundays / Public Holidays: 23:30 – 01:10
After 23:15 daily, buses will be renumbered as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23, Opp Midview Building.
During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 189A will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
Gallery (Tower Transit)
Gallery (SMRT Buses):
- 1974 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services
- 2004 – 28 May 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 May 2016 – Present: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bulim Bus Package.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Re-numbered from Service 193A as a service between Commonwealth Ave Ter and South Canal Rd Ter under 1974 Bus Rationalisation
- 1974 (08 Dec): Amended to ply Cecil St, skipping Robinson Rd
- 1979 (15 Jan): Amended to loop at Empress Pl and amended to ply Commonwealth Ave, Alexandra Rd, Lower Delta Rd, Jln Bt Merah and Kg Bahru Rd
- 1979 (11 Feb): Amended to ply the extended Shenton Way towards Commonwealth Ave Ter, skipping Parsi Rd and Anson Rd
- 1980 (20 Jan): Amended to ply Spottiswoode Park Rd with the partial conversion of Cantonment Rd to one-way traffic
- 1982: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1985 (24 Nov): Extended to Bt Batok Ter and Marina Ctr Ter
- 1986 (30 Nov): Amended to the relocated Marina Ctr Ter along Raffles Blvd
- 1987 (27 Sep): Amended to Bt Batok Int
- 1987 (01 Nov): Amended to ply Eu Tong Sen St towards Marina Ctr Ter to facilitate the second stage of road expansion along New Bridge Rd
- 1991 (28 Apr): Shortened to loop at Clementi West St 2, integrated with Service 366 and amended to ply Bt Batok Central, Bt Batok Ave 1, Bt Batok East Ave 6 and Bt Batok St 23 under TransitLink Network Integration Exercise Phase 4
- 1996 (06 May): Extended to loop at West Coast Ferry Ter, skipping Clementi West St 2
- 1996: Amended to ply PIE and Clementi Ave 6, skipping Toh Tuck Ave
- 1999: Serves new pair of bus stops outside and opposite West Bay Resort Condo along West Coast Rd
- 2000 (18 Jun): Operations transferred to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2001 (15 Apr): Shortened to loop at Kent Ridge Ter
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (23 Nov): Amended to loop at Clementi Ave 1 with the introduction of Service 201, skipping West Coast Rd and Kent Ridge Ter
- 2016 (29 May): Operations transferred to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd under Bulim Bus Package
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles
4 thoughts on “Tower Transit Bus Service 189”
I am an ordinary, law-abiding 40-year-old office worker. During working hours in the morning, I “often” encounter situations where the 189 bus captain enters the station without turning on the direction signal (bus stop: clementi -opp blk 317), this is basic driving common sense. I often have to stop until the bus finally stops and they willing to open the door, if give passenger have this feeling, that is a serious problem. One week, I waved for two days in a row (100 meters before entering the bus stop, there must be enough time for the driver to see and react), and they pretended didn’t see it and wanted to leave away. It happened that his lane was stopping at a red traffiic light , I stood in front of the bus door and looked at him, then he opened the door reluctantly. I didn’t write down the time and who the driver is, because I was also worried about getting his bus next time or something else. I also hope that you can improve the basic traffic rules for driving, train your employees well, and don’t always treat passengers with an rule attitude, spoil everyone’s good image of Singapore. I hope I can see your reply here. Thank you.
106 & 189 can covert into full DD service.The A22 can go deploy on other BBT service rather than use SBS Citaro reg.
This morning (8.29 a.m.) when I alighted at Bus Stop 43701 from Bus No.187, immediately to see SBM 3002K driven by an Indian driver over take the 187 without slowing down as everyday many of the commuters have to transfer to No. 189 at that Bus stop to Bukit Crescent area for work. As such, we have to wait for another 10 mins. for Bus 189 (SBM 3005C) to arrive.
As the bus is totally no packed, I am very disappointed that the driver is so impatient and just over take without slowing for other commuters to board. I hope this will not happen again.
I’m very late to this, but please refer such to the relevant bus company/companies (in this case, I believe it is SMRT/TT) in future.