Tower Transit Bus Service 189 is a trunk route running from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and looping at Clementi Avenue 1, passing through Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Street 23, AYE, Clementi Avenue 6 and Clementi MRT.
Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd has taken over operations of this bus service from SBS Transit since 29 May 2016 under the Bulim Bus Package.
|Bus Service 189: Bukit Batok ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|From Bukit Batok||Looping at Clementi Avenue 1|
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Bukit Batok Ave 1, Bukit Batok St 23, AYE, Clementi Ave 6, Clementi MRT|
|Route Length||16.4 km|
|Travelling Time||51 – 81 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
(Tower Transit Singapore)
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Bukit Batok||0545hrs – 2315hrs (Daily, Full loop)
2330hrs – 0100hrs (Service 189A | Terminates at Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg))
|0630-0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 11 mins
1700-1900: 06 – 12 mins
After 1900: 10 – 12 mins
|Notes||Service 189A operates from Bukit Batok Interchange to Bukit Batok Street 23 (Opp Midview Bldg).
Buses leaving Bukit Batok Interchange after 2315 hours will operate as 189A.
Service 189 is a inter-town route serving between Bukit Batok and looping at Clementi Ave 1, via Bukit Batok Neighbourhood 2, Bukit Batok Street 23, Clementi Avenue 6, Clementi MRT and Clementi Road.
The route is well patronized between the industrial areas around Bukit Batok Street 23 and Bukit Batok MRT, with Short Trip Service 189A performing supplementary trips during Weekdays AM Peak, and scheduled mid-route departures (“downroutes”) in the reverse direction during Weekdays PM Peak. The sector between Clementi MRT and Clementi Ave 1 receives moderate demand due to the area’s presently limited residential developments, but encounters high demand from students heading to the educational institutions along Clementi Avenue 1.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT until its it was re-allocated to the Bus Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package) in May 2016. High capacity articulated buses are deployed during weekday peak hours back then, and double-deck buses were deployed since 26 October 2015.
In 2014, SMRT Service 189 was involved in a small scale bus loading trial where buses were equipped with electronic displays beside the front door, which indicates when the next bus will arrive and the passenger loading onboard that bus. The trial was never expanded, and LTA subsequently released bus loading information for mobile apps in addition to expected time of arrival.
MRT Stations Served
- C’Wealth Ave West (Clementi Stn) → Bukit Batok Int via Clementi Ave 1
- Bukit Batok St 23 (Midview Bldg) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays PM Peak
Short Trip Service
- Service 189A: Bukit Batok Int → Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg)
Weekdays: 0708hrs – 0858hrs | 3 – 8 mins frequency
Daily: 2330hrs – 0100hrs | 15 – 20 mins frequency
From 2330 daily, buses will be renumbered as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23, Opp Midview Building. During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 189 (operating as Service 189A) will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
- 1971 – 1973: Amalgamated Bus Company
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services
- 2004 – 28 May 2016: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 May 2016 onwards: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Bulim Bus Package.
- 1971 (18 Apr): Introduced between Commonwealth Ave Ter and South Canal Rd Ter as Service 193A
- 1971 (25 Apr): Integrated with Service 190 and extended to loop at Tg Pagar Rd
- 1972 (11 Jun): Amended to ply the extended Upp Cross St with the partial conversion of Havelock Rd to one-way road, skipping New Bridge Rd
- 1973 (01 Nov): Operated by Singapore Bus Service (SBS)
- 1974 (03 Feb): Amended to South Canal Rd Ter and re-numbered Service 189 under 1974 Bus Rationalisation
- 1974 (08 Dec): Amended to ply Cecil St, skipping Robinson Rd
- 1979 (15 Jan): Amended to loop at Empress Pl and amended to ply Commonwealth Ave, Alexandra Rd, Lower Delta Rd, Jln Bt Merah and Kg Bahru Rd
- 1980 (20 Jan): Amended to ply Spottiswoode Park Rd with the partial conversion of Cantonment Rd to one-way road
- 1982: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1985 (24 Nov): Extended to Bt Batok Ter and Marina Ctr Ter
- 1986 (30 Nov): Amended to the relocated Marina Ctr Ter along Raffles Blvd
- 1987 (27 Sep): Amended to Bt Batok Int
- 1987 (01 Nov): Amended to ply express sectors along Eu Tong Sen St towards Marina Ctr Ter to facilitate the second stage of road expansion along New Bridge Rd
- 1991 (28 Apr): Shortened to loop at Clementi West St 2, integrated with Service 366 and amended to ply Bt Batok Central, Bt Batok Ave 1, Bt Batok East Ave 6 and Bt Batok St 23 under TransitLink Network Integration Exercise Phase 4
- 1996 (06 May): Amended to ply express sectors along Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) and Clementi Ave 6 and extended to loop at West Coast Ferry Ter, skipping Toh Tuck Ave
- 1999: Calls at a new pair of bus stops outside and opposite West Bay Resort Condo along West Coast Rd
- 2000 (18 Jun): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2001 (15 Apr): Shortened to loop at Kent Ridge Terminal. Service 189A introduced between Bt Batok Int and West Coast Ferry Ter (Loop), operating at selected timings.
- 2003: Service 189A withdrawn
- 2004 (10 May): Operated by SMRT Buses
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (23 Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (23 Nov): Shortened to loop at Clementi Ave 1 via AYE and Clementi Rd Lost sectors along West Coast Rd replaced by Service 201.
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (26 Oct): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double-Decker Bus Deployments
- 2016 (29 May): Re-allocated to the Bus Contracting Model (Bulim Bus Package), and operations transferred from SMRT Buses to Tower Transit Singapore
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.
External Links & References: