SBS Transit Bus Service 42 is a residential trunk route, serving the landed housing areas of Kembangan and Siglap with connections to Kembangan MRT.
||Jalan Kembangan (Kembangan Stn) ↺ Fidelio Street (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Lengkong Empat, Taman Kembangan, Siglap Rd, Frankel Ave|
|Route Length||5.8 km|
|Traveling Time||25 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bedok Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Kembangan
||0600hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|0630-0830: 09 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 16 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 14 mins
After 1900: 10 – 13 mins
Service 42 is a residential route serving the private residential estates of Kembangan, Siglap and Opera Estate, connecting them to Kembangan MRT station along the East-West Line. Formerly known as M2, it was renumbered to Service 42 only in 1997.
The route operates in a continuous loop fashion, with drivers taking a short break at Jalan Kembangan (Kembangan MRT) while passengers may board or alight, or stay onboard for the next journey. It is one of the few bus routes not operating from a bus interchange or terminal.
Formerly operating with Dennis Dart midibuses, they were retired in 2011 and replaced by standard 12-metre buses. A BSEP fleet addition in 2014 saw the addition of a third bus to the fleet.
MRT Station Served
- EW6 Kembangan
- Fidelio St (Bef Tosca St) → Jln Kembangan (Kembangan Stn)
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 1989 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bedok Bus Package.
- 1989: Introduced as Service M2, Jln Kembangan – Opera Estate (Loop)
- 1993: Serves Siglap Drive and Frankel Avenue in one direction, following the conversion of Siglap Drive and Cheriot Hill to one way traffic
- 1997: Renumbered to Service 42, loop service between Kembangan MRT station and Fidelio St.
- 2014: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (29 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1997: No significant route changes since 1997.