The Bedok Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages under the Bus Contracting Model (BCM).
Under the BCM, bus routes are bundled into bus packages, consisting of a single bus depot, several bus interchanges/terminals, the bus routes and the buses themselves. With all bus infrastructure belonging to the Government, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would contract out the bus package, select a bus operator (through a competitive tendering process), and lease these assets to the new operator.
The successful tenderer operates these bus routes and collects fares on behalf of LTA, while maintaining the associated bus infrastructure (buses & onboard equipment, depots, interchanges & terminals). In return, the operator is awarded an operating fee from LTA and potential bonuses via an incentive framework.
PT211 – Bedok Bus Package (Negotiated Contract Term: 2016 to 2023):
As part of the Bus Contracting Model which was fully implemented in September 2016, LTA entered into a Negotiated Contract with SBS Transit to operate bus services under the Bedok Bus Package until the awarded operator for the open tender of the Bedok Bus Package takes over operations. This was announced to be in Year 2023 by LTA in 2016.
In the LTA press release on August 2016, Bedok Bus Package comprises of, 23 services are in operation then, and 1 new route to be announced.
|Contract PT211: Bedok Bus Package (Negotiated Contract)|
|Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Duration||01 Sep 2016 – 2023 (will be extended; exact duration yet to be announced)|
||9, 13, 14, 14e, 25, 30, 30e, 35/35M, 40, 42, 45, 46, 168, 196, 196e, 222, 225G/225W, 228, 229 & 401
(20 bus routes)
|Anchor Bus Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot|
|Anchor Bus Interchange / Terminal||Bedok Bus Interchange, Upper East Coast Bus Terminal|
In November 2021, as part of the Transition of Downtown Line to Version 2 of the New Rail Financing Framework from January 2022, SBS Transit has agreed to a revised service fee rate for five of its existing bus contracts, that is lower than the current service fee and is benchmarked against recent bus tenders after a review with LTA. The five contracts will be extended (by an average of three years) at these revised rates. [LTA Press Release]
As published in an article on The Straits Times, Bedok Bus Package is one of the bus contracts that would be extended at a revised rate. However, the exact number of years extended for this bus package has not been announced publicly by LTA.
All bus services are operated by SBS Transit under the Bedok Bus Package negotiated contract.
|9||Bedok ↺ Airport Cargo Road||Trunk|
|13||Yio Chu Kang ↔ Upper East Coast||Trunk|
|14||Bedok ↔ Clementi||Trunk|
|14e||Bedok North Avenue 3 ⇄ Orchard Road||Express|
|25||Ang Mo Kio ↔ Upper East Coast||Trunk|
|30||Bedok ↔ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|30e||Bedok ⇄ Pasir Panjang Road
|35||Bedok ↺ Alps Avenue||Trunk|
|40||Bedok ↺ Merpati Road||Trunk|
|42||Jalan Kembangan ↺ Fidelio Street||Trunk|
|45||Upper East Coast ↔ Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot||Trunk|
|46||Upper East Coast ↔ Pasir Ris||Trunk|
|168||Bedok ↔ Woodlands||Trunk|
|196||Bedok ↔ Clementi||Trunk|
|196e||Marine Parade Road ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Express|
|197||Bedok ↔ Jurong East||Trunk|
|222||Bedok ↺ Chai Chee Drive||Feeder|
|225G||Bedok ↺ Bedok North Street 3||Feeder|
|225W||Bedok ↺ Bedok North Street 3||Feeder|
|228||Bedok ↺ Bedok Reservoir Road||Feeder|
|229||Bedok ↺ Bedok South Road||Feeder|
|401||Bedok ↺ Fort Road||Trunk|
- Feeder Services 225G & 225W are counted as one service (225).
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|9A||Bedok → Loyang Avenue (Blk 149A)||Short Trip|
||Simei Street 3 (Simei Stn) → Airline Road (3rd Cargo Agents)||Short Trip|
|13A||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6 (Blk 307A) → Bishan Road (Bishan Stn)||Short Trip|
|14A||Bedok → Grange Road (Somerset Youth Pk)||Short Trip|
|35M||Bedok ↺ Tanah Merah Ferry Road||Supplementary|
|45A||Lorong Ah Soo (Opp Blk 115) → Upper Serangoon Road (S’goon Stn Exit A/Blk 413)||Short Trip|
|196A||Bedok → Shenton Way (Opp MAS Bldg)||Short Trip|
|222A||Bedok → New Upper Changi Road (Bedok Stn Exit A)||Short Trip|
|222B||New Upper Changi Road (Bedok Stn Exit A) → New Upper Changi Road (Bedok Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
Bedok Bus Package – Negotiated Contract (PT211) Timeline
- 2016 (11 Aug): Bedok Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages operated by SBS Transit.
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 196e & 4N temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 14e, 30e, 506 & CT18 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (25 Apr): Bus Service 401 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Services 14e, 30e, 196e & 506. Bus Services 401, CT18 & 4N remain suspended.
- 2021 (Nov): Announcement of extension of bus contract at a revised rate by SBS Transit / LTA as part of the Transition of Downtown Line to Version 2 of the New Rail Financing Framework from January 2022; exact duration of extension has not been announced publicly by LTA.
- 2021 (12 Dec): Service 506 transferred to Serangoon-Eunos Bus Package with the amendment of route
- 2022 (04 Jun): Resumption of Bus Service 401
- 2022 (30 Jun): Bus Services CT18 & 4N withdrawn
- 2023 (27 Nov): Short Trip Service 9B added
External Links & References:
- Bus Industry to complete transition to BCM on 1 Sep 2016 – LTA
- Transition of Downtown Line to New Rail Financing Framework Version Two – LTA
- Downtown Line to transition to new rail financing framework from January 2022 – The Straits Times
Back to Bus Contracting Model