SBS Transit Bus Service 40 is a residential trunk route running from Bedok Interchange and looping at MacPherson Estate, going via Siglap Road, East Coast, Tanjong Katong and Aljunied.
||Bedok Bus Interchange ↺ Merpati Rd (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Siglap Road, East Coast Rd, Tg Katong Rd, Aljunied Rd
|Route Length||23.4 km|
|Travelling Time||55 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bedok Bus Package
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bedok
||0545hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|0630 – 0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831 – 1659: 14 – 18 mins
1700 – 1900: 15 – 19 mins
After 1900: 18 – 19 mins
Service 40 serves MacPherson Estate, Tanjong Katong, East Coast and Siglap Road with connections to nearby MRT stations along the East-West Line, namely Aljunied and Bedok. With multiple services duplicating its route across various sections of route, Service 40 fulfills more of a supplementary route and operating at low frequencies throughout the day. It is also the only bus service to serve the full stretch of Siglap Road daily.
MRT Stations Served
- Merpati Rd (Aft Jln Anggerek) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0557hrs, 0609hrs
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 11 Apr 1971 – 05 Dec 1971: Singapore Traction Company Pte Ltd
- 06 Dec 1971 – 31 Oct 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 01 Nov 1973 – 31 Oct 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 01 Nov 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bedok Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Rationalization between Telok Kurau and Prince Edward Rd, operated by Singapore Traction Company
- 1971 (06 Dec): Operations transferred to United Bus Company
- 1973 (01 Jul): Extended to Kg Chai Chee Ter
- 1973 (01 Nov): Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1974 (01 Dec): Extended to Upp Changi Rd (near Track 6)
- 1974 (08 Dec): Amended to ply the extended Robinson Rd, skipping Market St
- 1975 (16 Nov): Amended to Chai Chee Ter
- 1976 (15 Feb): Serves new staggered bus stop (03071) along Robinson Rd
- 1976 (14 Mar): Serves new staggered bus stop (02027) along Connaught Dr
- 1979 (14 Oct): Amended to ply Lor Sarina and Sims Ave East (towards Chai Chee) with the conversion of Changi Rd to one-way traffic
- 1984 (10 Jun): Shortened to MacPherson Estate.
- 1985 (08 Sep): Extended to Bedok Int due to the closure of Chai Chee Ter.
- 1992 (03 May): Amended to Siglap Rd after merging with Service 158 (then Bedok – Toa Payoh) under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 7
- 2003: Serves new bus stop (82089) along Tg Katong Rd
- 2011 (26 Jun): Change in stopping point to bus stop 70381 along Circuit Rd
- 2011 (19 Nov): Amended to Bedok Temp Int
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (30 Nov): Amended to Bedok Integrated Transport Hub
- 2016 (16 Oct): Reversal of change in stopping point to bus stop 70191 due to reopening of Circuit Link
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.