SMRT City Direct Service 653 is an AM/PM Peak City Direct service between Hume/Bukit Batok and the CBD, passing through PIE, AYE and Shenton Way. It is the third City Direct route introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
||[AM]: Hume Avenue (Bef Summerhill) → Marina Boulevard (Marina Bay Financial Ctr)
[PM]: Central Boulevard (Marina Bay Stn) → Hillview Avenue (Hillington Green Condo)
|Passes Through||Hillview Ave, Bukit Batok East Ave 2/3, Anson Rd, Shenton Way|
|Route Length||21.7km (D1) | 21.3km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||72 – 76 mins|
|BCM Route Package||City Direct Bus Services|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Park (WPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Double-Decker Buses
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Hume Ave
||0715 – 0745 (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 4 Trips|
|Departure Times from Central Blvd
||1815 – 1830 (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 2 Trips|
|10 mins||15 mins|
City Direct Service 653 provides residents of Hume and Bukit Batok with greater connectivity to the CBD. By running parallel to existing rail lines, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network and feeder buses to and from work. The route incorporates an express sector between Bukit Batok East Ave 3 and Shenton Way via PIE, Clementi Avenue 6 and AYE.
This is the third City Direct service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), and one of ten proposed City Direct bus routes to be progressively introduced until the 2nd Quarter of 2014. This provides more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while the ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented.
- AM Peak from Hume Ave: 0715hrs, 0725hrs, 0735hrs, 0745hrs
- PM Peak from Central Blvd: 1815hrs, 1830hrs
Fares: Charges regular distance-based express fares.
- 13 Jan 2014 – 12 Apr 2017: ComfortDelGro Bus Pte Ltd
- 13 Apr 2017 onward: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 2014 (13 Jan): Introduced as a bidirectional AM/PM-Peak hour service from Upper Thomson to the CBD under the BSEP. Operates two trips on weekday mornings at 7:25am and 7:40am, and weekday evenings at 6:10pm and 6:25pm. Charges Distance-based flat fares.
- 2014 (31 Mar): Third morning trip added, departure times from Hume Ave revised to 7:20am, 7:30am and 7:40am.
- 2014 (06 Apr): Revised fares as part of the Public Transport Fare Adjustment 2014
- 2014 (04 Aug): Fourth morning trip added, departure times from Hume Ave revised to 7:20am, 7:26am, 7:33am and 7:40am.
- 2015 (16 Mar): Fifth morning trip added, departure times from Hume Ave revised to 7:15am, 7:21am, 7:27am, 7:33am and 7:40am.
- 2015 (23 Mar): Calls at new bus stop 03241 Anson Rd – Mapletree Anson instead of 03222 Anson Rd – Hub Synergy Point
- 2015 (29 Jun): Third evening trip added, departure times from Central Blvd revised to 6:10pm, 6:20pm and 6:30pm.
- 2015 (26 Oct): Sixth morning trip added, departure times from Hume Ave revised to 7:15am, 7:21am, 7:27am, 7:33am, 7:39am and 7:45am.
- 2016 (18 Jan): City Direct 653 operating contract for ComfortDelgro Bus Pte Ltd extended by 1 year
- 2017 (13 Apr): Transferred to SMRT Buses Ltd. Trip details revised. Double-Decker Buses deployed.