Tower Transit City Direct Service 653 is a Weekday Peak Hour City Direct service between Hume/Bukit Batok and the CBD, passing through PIE, AYE and Shenton Way. It is the third City Direct route introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
|Route||[AM]: Hume Avenue (Bef Summerhill) → Marina Boulevard (Marina Bay Financial Ctr)
[PM]: Central Boulevard (Marina Bay Stn) → Hillview Avenue (Hillington Green Condo)
|Passes Through||Hillview Ave, Bukit Batok East Ave 2/3, Anson Rd, Shenton Way|
|Route Length||Towards Marina Blvd: 21.8 km||Towards Hillview Ave: 21.5 km|
|Travelling Time||60 – 61 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bulim Bus Package
|Current Operator||Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
(Tower Transit Singapore)
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Hume Ave
||Weekdays, except Public Holidays|
|07:15 – 07:45|
|Departure Times from Central Blvd
||Weekdays, except Public Holidays|
|18:15 – 18:30|
|From Hume Ave
|From Central Blvd
|Fare||Charges express distance fares
City Direct Service 653 provides residents of Hume and Bukit Batok with greater connectivity to the CBD. By running parallel to existing rail lines, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network and feeder buses to and from work. The route incorporates an express sector between Bukit Batok East Ave 3 and Shenton Way via PIE, Clementi Avenue 6 and AYE.
This is the third City Direct service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), and one of ten proposed City Direct bus routes to be progressively introduced until the 2nd Quarter of 2014. This provides more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while the ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented.
MRT Stations Served
Weekdays (except Public Holidays)
- Morning Peak from Hume Avenue (Bef Summerhill):
07:15, 07:25, 07:35 & 07:45
- Evening Peak from Central Boulevard (Marina Bay Stn):
18:15 & 18:30
Gallery (Tower Transit):
Gallery (SMRT Buses):
Gallery (ComfortDelGro Bus):
- 13 Jan 2014 – 12 Apr 2017: ComfortDelGro Bus Pte Ltd
- 13 Apr 2017 – 28 May 2021: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 29 May 2021 – Present: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Bulim Bus Package.
- 2014 (13 Jan): Introduced between Hume Ave (Bef Summerhill) and Marina Blvd (Marina Bay Financial Ctr) during morning peak hours and between Central Blvd (Aft Marina Stn Rd) and Hillview Ave (Hillington Green Condo) during evening peak hours as a peak hour one-directional service on weekdays under the BSEP. Operated under Contract VT387A.
- 2015 (23 Mar): Serves new staggered bus stop outside Mapletree Anson along Anson Rd, skipping the bus stop outside Hub Synergy Pt
- 2017 (13 Apr): Operations transferred to SMRT Buses Ltd under the Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package. Trip details revised. Double-Decker Buses deployed.
- 2020 (08 Apr – 01 Jun): Temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2021 (29 May): Operations transferred to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd under the Bulim Bus Package
Changes in Departure Times:
|Effective Date||Morning Peak Timings||Evening Peak Timings|
|13 Jan 2014||07:25 & 07:40||18:10 & 18:25|
|31 Mar 2014||07:20, 07:30 & 07:40||18:10 & 18:25|
|04 Aug 2014||07:20, 07:26, 07:33 & 07:40||18:10 & 18:25|
|16 Mar 2015||07:15, 07:21, 07:27, 07:33 & 07:40||18:10 & 18:25|
|29 Jun 2015||07:15, 07:21, 07:27, 07:33 & 07:40||18:10, 18:20 & 18:30|
|26 Oct 2015||07:15, 07:21, 07:27, 07:33, 07:39 & 07:45||18:10, 18:20 & 18:30|
|13 Apr 2017||07:15, 07:25, 07:35 & 07:45||18:15 & 18:30|