Go-Ahead Bus Service 2 is a trunk service plying between Changi Village and Kampong Bahru, passing through Loyang Avenue, Upper Changi Road North, Simpang Bedok, Bedok, Eunos, Geylang, Kallang, Bugis, Clarke Quay and Chinatown. Much of the route duplicates the East West Line between Bugis and Tanah Merah, via Sims Avenue / Geylang Road.
The route is one of the oldest in the region, with much of its original routing retained since the 1970s.
||Changi Village Terminal ↔ Kampong Bahru Bus Terminal
|Passes Through||Loyang Ave, Upper Changi Rd North, Simpang Bedok, Bedok, Eunos, Geylang, Kallang, Bugis, Clarke Quay, Chinatown|
|Route Length||26.1km (D1) | 26.4km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||100 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Loyang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Go-Ahead Singapore|
|Current Depot||Loyang Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck bus:
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Changi Village||0520hrs – 2345hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0545hrs – 2345hrs (Sundays & PHs)
|Departure Times from Kampong Bahru
||0540hrs – 2400hrs (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 16 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 18 mins
After 1900: 14 – 18 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 17 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 10 mins
After 1900: 10 – 18 mins
Service 2 is a trunk route linking the suburban and residential areas of Changi Village, Simpang Bedok and Eunos to the central areas of Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Bugis and Kallang. Even though a large portion of Service 2 duplicates the East West MRT Line, it continues to receive considerable demand, both during peak and off-peak periods by shuttling commuters over short distances without the hassle of entering and exiting the MRT network.
The route also offers important connections for developments along Upper Changi Road North, Loyang Avenue and Changi Village, connecting to Upper Changi and Tanah Merah MRT station. It is also the sole bus service plying along a section of Upp Changi Link and a short section Upp Changi Road (near ITE College East), with three pairs of bus stops not shared by any other bus service.
Service 2 is currently the lowest numerical value for any bus service in Singapore, after Service 1 was withdrawn in the past. Under the Bus Contracting Model, this route was bundled under the Loyang Bus Package, and was handed over from SBS Transit to Go-Ahead on 18 Sep 2016, with departure timings from Changi Village brought forward.
- Sims Ave (Aft Lor 1 Geylang) → Changi Village Ter
Weekdays 0540hrs, 0549hrs, 0558hrs
Saturdays: 0540hrs, 0552hrs
- Upper Changi Link (Aft Upp Changi Rd) → Changi Village Ter
Weekdays: 0530hrs, 0542hrs, 0554hrs, 0606hrs
Saturdays: 0530hrs, 0545hrs, 0600hrs
- New Upp Changi Road (Bedok Stn Exit B) → Changi Village Ter
Weekdays AM Peak
- New Upp Changi Road (Tanah Merah Stn Exit B) → Changi Village Ter
Sundays & PH: 0620hrs
MRT Stations served
- DT34 Upper Changi
- EW4CG Tanah Merah
- EW5 Bedok
- EW6 Kembangan
- EW7 Eunos
- EW8CC9 Paya Lebar
- EW9 Aljunied
- EW10 Kallang
- EW11 Lavender
- EW12DT14 Bugis
- NE5 Clarke Quay
- NE4DT19 Chinatown
- EW16NE3 Outram Park
Short Trip Service
- Bus Service 2A: Kampong Bahru Terminal → New Upp Changi Rd (Tanah Merah Stn Exit B)
Weekdays (except Public Holidays): 0621hrs – 0807hrs, 1655hrs – 1853hrs
AM Peak: 18 – 26 mins
PM Peak: 17 – 20 mins
Charges Basic fares under the distance-based fare (DBF) structure. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Reorganization, running between Changi Point and Commonwealth Avenue/North Buona Vista Road and operated by Associated Bus Services Ltd
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1975: Amended to New Changi Rd (now called New Upp Changi Rd).
- 1980: Amended to Jln Bt Merah and Kg Bahru Rd in both directions, skipping Outram Rd, Tiong Bahru Rd and Henderson Rd.
- 1981: Route amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1983: Route amended to Changi Village Ter
- 1992 (29 Nov): Shortened to terminate at New Bridge Road.
- 1994: Route straightened to Victoria St, New Bridge Rd & Eu Tong Sen St, skipping Crawford St and North / South Bridge Rd,
- 2007: Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service enhancement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (29 Dec): Diverted to Upper Changi Link with the permanent closure of a section of Upper Changi Rd.
- 2016 (18 Sep): Operations transferred to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd. Departure timings from Changi Village (0530hrs on Weekdays & Sat, 0600hrs on Sun/PHs) brought forward to 0520hrs on Weekdays & Sat, 0545hrs on Sun/PHs
- 2018 (10 Mar): Amended to Kampong Bahru Ter
- 2018 (12 Mar): New Short Trip Service 2A launched
- 2018 (08 Apr): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along Upper Changi Rd East (Bef Simei Rd / Aft Somapah Rd)
- Refer to this article
- 2018: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2018.
- While road names have changed over many years of redevelopment, the general pattern of the bus route is similar
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – 17 Sep 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 18 Sep 2016 onwards: Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021.