Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #2:
“Loyang Bus Package” (28 bus routes)
First announced on 11 March 2015, the Loyang Bus Package is the second set of public bus services to be put up for tender under the Bus Contracting Model, following the Bulim Bus Package. This package initially (when tendered out) comprised of 25 bus services originating from the Changi Airport Bus Terminal, Changi Village Bus Terminal, Pasir Ris Bus Interchange, and Punggol Bus Interchange. Loyang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM).
As announced in November 2015, the Go-Ahead Group is the successful tenderer of the Loyang Bus Package, who would receive an estimated total fee of $497.7 million over five years. The 25 bus routes would be based out of the then-newly-built Loyang Bus Depot, located off Loyang Way, which was completed in June 2015 and able to accommodate about 500 buses.
Go-Ahead gradually took over all bus routes in two tranches: on 4 September 2016 and 18 September 2016.
The package started with about 400 buses when implemented, and is expected to grow to about 500 buses in 2021 in tandem with new developments and projected growth in ridership.
|Name||PT201: Bus Contracting – Loyang Bus Package|
(Go Ahead Singapore Pte Ltd; formerly known as Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd)
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Key Dates||Published 15 Apr 2015
Closed 14 Aug 2015 (12:00 PM)
Awarded 23 Nov 2015
|Commenced Operations||04 Sep 2016 (Tranche 1) – 13 bus routes
18 Sep 2016 (Tranche 2) – 11 bus routes
12 Mar 2017 – Service 381*
28 Jan 2018 – Service 12e*
01 Apr 2018 – Service 68
09 Sep 2019 – Service 43e*
|Services||2, 3, 6, 12, 12e*, 15, 17/17A, 34, 36, 43/43M, 43e*, 62, 68, 82, 83, 84, 85, 118, 119, 136, 354, 358, 359, 381*, 382G/382W, 386, 403, 518/518A|
|Bus Depot||Loyang Bus Depot|
|Bus Interchanges||Pasir Ris, Punggol (Anchor Operator)
Changi Village (Partial)
- * Bus Service 381 was only added to the Loyang Bus Package in March 2017.
- * Bus Service 12e was only added to the Loyang Bus Package in January 2018.
- * Bus Service 43e was only added to the Loyang Bus Package in September 2019.
As of the tender closing time, 10 bids were submitted from hopeful operators, with bidded prices covering the duration of the full 5-year contract. These 10 are:
- SBS Transit Ltd – $545.9 million for 5 Years
- SMRT Buses Ltd – $598.1 million for 5 Years
- Woodlands Transport – $532.5 million for 5 Years
Foreign Companies & Joint Bids
- Busways Group (Australia) – $631.4 million for 5 Years
- Go Ahead Group (United Kingdom) – $497.7 million for 5 Years
RATP Dev Transdev Asia (France) – $603.7 million for 5 Years
- Keolis SA (France) – $535.2 million for 5 Years
- Travel GSH Pte Ltd (Singapore) & Qingdao Jiaoyun Group (China)
- Kok Tong Transport and Engineering Works (Singapore) & Jinan Public Transportation Corp (China)
- Tian San Shipping (Singapore) and Kumho Construction and Engineering (South Korea) – $569.9 million for 5 Years
Among the tender requirements was one that required operators to have a proven track record of operating a fleet of at least 250 buses. Such a requirement would result in joint bids.
As of 12 October 2015, LTA shortlisted 8 bids for this tender. Joint Bids from Jiaoyun Group Corporation with Travel GSH, as well as Kok Tong Transport & Engineering Works with Jinan Public Transportation Corporation were dropped out in the running for this tender.
On Monday, 23 November 2015, LTA announced The Go-Ahead Group Plc as the winner of the Loyang Bus Package. The evaluation was conducted through a two-envelope process which included quality and price factors, with greater weightage given to the quality proposals submitted by tenderers. The LTA press release sums it well:
Go-Ahead is awarded the contract as it has the highest combined total score for both quality and price evaluation. In its tender submission, Go-Ahead demonstrated a thorough understanding of ground conditions and strong ability in developing strategies to manage specific scenarios for each bus route. The company also displayed strong competence in bus service scheduling to enable the optimal deployment of buses and resources. At the same time, Go-Ahead also emphasised in its proposal a stringent maintenance regime for bus assets and infrastructure. A robust bus-to-technician ratio and strict quality control processes will also be put in place to ensure high maintenance standards. In terms of manpower development, Go-Ahead has comprehensive plans to attract and retain bus captains, with a strong focus on growing the local workforce, training and developing employees, as well as offering career progression opportunities to all levels of staff.
To ensure a smooth transition with minimal inconvenience to commuters, the implementation of the 25 bus services would be carried out in two tranches from the third quarter of 2016. These services would be supported by the new Loyang Bus Depot located off Loyang Way, which would be handed over to Go-Ahead in December 2015 to allow them sufficient time to recruit and train bus captains and technicians.
Loyang Bus Package consists of a total of 27 bus services, 24 of which were previously operated by SBS Transit.
Service 68 was launched in April 2018, while new Bus Services 381 & 12e were added to the package in March 2017 and January 2018 respectively.
|2||Changi Village ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|3||Tampines ↔ Punggol||Trunk|
||Pasir Ris ↺ Loyang Crescent||Trunk|
||Pasir Ris ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|12e||Pasir Ris ↔ Kampong Bahru||Express|
|15||Pasir Ris ↺ Marine Parade Road||Trunk|
|17||Pasir Ris ↔ Bedok||Trunk|
|34||Punggol ↺ Changi Airport PTB2||Trunk|
|36||Changi Airport PTB2 ↺ Tomlinson Road||Trunk|
|43||Punggol ↔ Upper East Coast||Trunk|
|43e||Punggol ⇄ Marine Parade Road||Express|
|62||Punggol ↺ Sims Avenue||Trunk|
|68||Pasir Ris ↺ Tampines||Trunk|
|82||Punggol ↺ Serangoon Central||Trunk|
|83||Punggol ↺ Sengkang||Trunk|
|84||Punggol ↺ Punggol Road||Trunk|
|85||Punggol ↔ Yishun||Trunk|
|118||Punggol ↔ Changi Business Park||Trunk|
|119||Punggol ↺ Hougang Street 21||Trunk|
|136||Ang Mo Kio ↔ Punggol||Trunk|
|354||Pasir Ris ↺ Jalan Loyang Besar||Feeder|
|358||Pasir Ris ↺ Pasir Ris Drive 10 & Pasir Ris Street 41||Feeder|
|359||Pasir Ris ↺ Pasir Ris Street 71 & Pasir Ris Street 11||Feeder|
|381||Punggol ↺ Punggol East||Feeder|
|382G||Punggol ↺ Sumang Walk||Feeder|
|382W||Punggol ↺ Sumang Walk||Feeder|
|386||Punggol ↺ Punggol Central||Feeder|
|403||Pasir Ris ↺ Pasir Ris Road||Trunk|
|518||Pasir Ris ↺ Bayfront Avenue||Express|
Feeder Services 382G & 382W are counted as one service (382).
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|2A||Kampong Bahru → New Upper Changi Road (Tanah Merah Stn Exit B)||Short Trip|
||Tampines → Pasir Ris Drive 12 (Blk 747A)||Short Trip|
|15A||Pasir Ris → Jalan Eunos (Opp Eunos Stn)||Short Trip|
|17A||Bedok → Bedok North Avenue 4 (SBST Bedok Nth Depot)||Short Trip|
|34A||Punggol → Tampines Avenue 5 (Opp Our Tampines Hub)||Short Trip|
|34B||Tampines Avenue 10 (Aft TPE) → Tampines Avenue 10 (Bef TPE) via Changi Airport||Short Trip|
|36A||Changi Airport PTB2 → Tomlinson Road (The Regent S’pore)||Short Trip|
|36B||Marine Parade Road (Lagoon View) → Siglap Road (Bef Seaside Residences)||Short Trip|
|36T||Changi Airport PTB2 ↺ Tomlinson Road||Terminating Trip|
|43M||Punggol ↺ Serangoon Central||Supplementary|
|62A||Punggol → Aljunied Road (Aljunied Stn)||Short Trip|
||Tampines Avenue 11 (Opp Reebonz Bldg) → Tampines||Short Trip|
||Tampines → Tampines Avenue 11 (Reebonz Bldg)||Short Trip|
||Yishun → Sengkang East Road (Sengkang Community Hub)||Short Trip|
|118A||Tampines Expressway (Aft Punggol Rd) → Simei Avenue (ITE Coll East Adm Blk)||Short Trip|
|118B||Simei Avenue (Opp ITE Coll East Adm Blk) → Tampines Expressway (Bef Punggol Rd)||Short Trip|
|358T||Pasir Ris ↺ Pasir Ris Drive 10 & Pasir Ris Street 41||Terminating Trip|
|359T||Pasir Ris ↺ Pasir Ris Street 71 & Pasir Ris Street 11||Terminating Trip|
|382A||Punggol → Sumang Lane (Blk 226A)||Short Trip|
|386A||Punggol → Edgedale Plains (Blk 682A)||Short Trip|
|518A||Pasir Ris → Bayfront Avenue (Bayfront Stn Exit A)||Short Trip|
Under the Loyang Bus Package, Go-Ahead operates a fleet of the following bus models:
- MAN A22 (Euro V)
- MAN A22 (Euro 6)
- MAN A95 (Euro V)
- MAN A95 (Euro 6)
- Mercedes-Benz Citaro
- Volvo B9TL (Wright)
- Yutong E12
- Yutong E12DD
To ensure a smooth transition with minimal inconvenience to commuters, the Loyang package under the Bus Contracting model was implemented in two tranches in September 2016. Spaced two weeks apart, the two tranches would hand Go-Ahead Singapore progressive control over Punggol, followed by Pasir Ris.
The implementation dates of the two tranches are as follows:
|Tranche||Implementation Date||Bus Services||No of Routes|
|1||4 September 2016||3, 34, 43/43M, 62, 82, 83, 84, 85, 118, 119, 136, 382G/W, 386||13|
|2||18 September 2016||2, 6, 12, 15, 17/A, 36, 354, 358, 359, 403, 518/A||11|
|–||12 March 2017||381*||1|
|–||28 January 2018||12e*||1|
|–||01 April 2018||68||1|
|–||09 September 2019||43e*||1|
|* Added to Bus Package at a later date||Total: 28|
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator would be required to fulfill responsibilities as such:
- Operate the twenty-eight (28) bus services in the Changi Airport, Changi Village, Pasir Ris & Punggol areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain the Pasir Ris and Punggol Bus Interchanges, and the new Loyang Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 28 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services would have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services would run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services would come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (BCM) article.
The winner of the tender, The Go-Ahead Group Plc, would take over operations of all services in this package from SBS Transit Ltd in September 2016. The package would be operated out of the new Loyang bus depot located off Loyang Avenue. The depot was handed over to Go Ahead on Dec 2015 and is able to accommodate about 500 buses. It would be equipped with workshop facilities for the refuelling, maintenance and repair of buses. A fleet of 400 buses would be provided and would grow to about 500 buses in 2021 in tandem with new developments and projected growth in ridership.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2015 (11 Mar): Loyang Route Package announced
- 2015 (15 Apr): Tender opens, closing on 14 Aug 2015 1200hrs.
- 2015 (14 Aug): Tender closes with 10 bids
- 2015 (12 Oct): 8 Bids shortlisted
- 2015 (23 Nov): Tender awarded to Go Ahead Group
- 2015 (11 Dec): Loyang Bus Depot officially handed over to Go Ahead Group
- 2016 (4 Sep): First tranche of operations rollout
- 2016 (18 Sep): Second tranche of operations rollout
- 2017 (12 Mar): Bus Service 381 added to Bus Package and rolled out
- 2018 (28 Jan): Bus Service 12e added to Bus Package and rolled out
- 2018 (12 Mar): New Short Trip Bus Service 2A added to Bus Package
- 2018 (01 Apr): Commencement of Bus Service 68
- 2018 (29 Oct): New Short Trip Bus Service 386A added to Bus Package
- 2019 (25 Mar): New Short Trip Bus Services 34B & 85A added to Bus Package
- 2019 (01 Jul): New Short Trip Bus Service 382A added to Bus Package
- 2019 (09 Sep): New Express Bus Service 43e added to Bus Package
- 2019 (18 Nov): New Short Trip Bus Services 68A & 68B added to Bus Package
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 518 & 518A temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 12e & 43e temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Services 12e, 43, 518 & 518A.
- Loyang Bus Package Commencement Dates Announced
- Go Ahead prepares for launch day
- Go Ahead Singapore Bus Carnival
External Links & References:
Back to Bus Contracting Model