SBS Transit Bus Service 402 was a trunk route serving the Marina Bay area, running from Shenton Way Terminal and looping at Marina Bay Cruise Centre, via Marina Boulevard. Prior to the opening of the Marina South Pier MRT Station on 23 Nov 2014, the route was the sole public transport connection to Marina South Pier and Marina Bay Cruise Centre.
Service 402 was integrated with Service 400 and discontinued on 16 June 2019.
- No alighting at Shenton Way Bus Terminal.
||Shenton Way Bus Terminal ↺ Marina Coastal Drive (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Cecil Street, Marina Blvd, Central Blvd|
|Route Length||9.0 km|
|Travelling Time||30 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Shenton Way
||0600 – 2345 (Daily)|
|0630 – 0830: 15 – 20 mins
0831 – 1659: 15 – 40 mins*
1700 – 1900: 14 – 18 mins
After 1900: 20 – 40 mins*
|* Lower frequency during On-Demand Public Bus Trial periods|
Service 402 serves the Marina Coastal area with connections to Marina Bay MRT and Shenton Way. Generally encountering low passenger demand, it shuttles passengers between Tanjong Pagar / Downtown and Marina South Pier / Marina Bay Cruise Centre. Between 2006 and 2013, it was the only service to call at Marina South Pier Bus Terminal, a roadside bus terminal next to Marina South Pier.
Before the opening of the Marina South Pier MRT Station along the North South Line on 23 November 2014, Service 402 was the sole public transport link to Marina South Pier and Marina Bay Cruise Centre. It generally operated at infrequent intervals, but during the annual Kusu Pilgrimage Season, more buses were added in anticipation for much high demand at Marina South Pier. Service levels were maintained even after the opening of Marina South Pier MRT Station.
Between 17 December 2018 to 14 June 2019, Service 402 was involved in the On-Demand Public Bus (ODPB) Trial (more details below). Operating frequencies were reduced during the trial period. The route was discontinued after the trial; with its last day of service on 15 June 2019. Service 400 was amended to replace lost sectors of Service 402.
On-Demand Public Bus (ODPB) Trial
To facilitate the ODPB Trial from 17 December 2018 to 14 June 2019, Service 402 operates at a frequency of 40 minutes during off peak hours on Weekdays (Except Public Holidays). Commuters may book an On-Demand Public Bus (On-Demand Public Bus – Marina – Downtown Area) through the BusNow app.
ODPB Trial Hours – Marina – Downtown Area
- Weekdays from 17 Dec 2018 to 14 Jun 2019:
1100hrs – 1500hrs & 2030hrs – 2345hrs
Departure Timings of Service 402 during ODPB trial hours
- From Shenton Way Bus Terminal, Weekdays (Except Public Holidays) during the On-Demand Public Bus Trial:
1100hrs, 1140hrs, 1220hrs, 1300hrs, 1340hrs, 1420hrs, 1500hrs,
2025hrs, 2105hrs, 2145hrs, 2225hrs, 2305hrs, 2345hrs
Route Integration & Discontinuation
With the End of the On-Demand Public Bus trial, Service 402 was integrated to Service 400, which was extended to serve Marina South Pier & Marina Bay Cruise Centre along Marina Coastal Drive from 16 June 2019. The last day of service for Service 402 was on 15 June 2019.
MRT Stations Served
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 01 April 2006 – 15 June 2019: SBS Transit Ltd
- 2006 (01 Apr): Introduced between Marina Coastal Dr & Anson Rd to serve the new Marina South Pier, terminating at Marina South Pier Bus Terminal.
- 2011 (28 Nov): Amended to start from Shenton Way Ter & loop at Marina South Pier.
- 2011 (27 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (13 May): Extended to serve International Cruise Terminal along Marina Coastal Dr, calling at the bus stop at Marina South Pier twice. Red/White destination plates were introduced, indicating ‘Cruise Ter’ (Red) & ‘Shenton Way’ (White) as a destination indicator.
- 2013 (21 Apr): Calls at additional pair of bus stops outside the Marina South Pier with the removal of Marina South Pier Ter.
- 2013 (29 Dec): Post-MCE route amendments to ply:
- Forward journey via Marina Stn Rd, Central Blvd, Marina Way, Marina Blvd
- Return journey via Central Blvd, Marina St, Marina Stn Rd, Central Blvd and Shenton Way
- Existing bus stops along Marina Pl, Marina St and Marina Stn Rd abolished
- Calls at new bus stops along its new route
- 2014: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (28 Sep): Route Amendments in Marina South Area: [Link]
- Forward journey towards Marina South Pier amended to Cecil St & Marina Blvd, omitting Maxwell Rd and calling at 4 additional bus stops
- Return journey via Central Blvd, new stop outside Marina Bay Stn. Existing stop along Marina St abolished.
- Skips 03222 Hub Synergy Pt along Anson Rd, and serves 03223 Intl Plaza instead
- 2017 (25 Jun): Amended to relocated Shenton Way Bus Terminal.
- 2018 (18 Nov): Start of operations under Bukit Merah Bus Package (Tendered Contract)
- 2019 (16 Jun): Integrated into Service 400 & discontinued