SBS Transit Bus Service 402 is a trunk route serving the Marina Bay area, running from Shenton Way Terminal and looping at Marina Bay Cruise Center, via Marina Boulevard. Prior to the opening of the Marina South Pier MRT Station on 23 Nov 2014, the route was the sole public transport connection to Marina South Pier and Marina Bay Cruise Centre.
Service 402 operates at a reduced frequency of 40 minutes per bus during Weekday off-peak hours, as part of the On-Demand Public Bus trial.
- No alighting at Shenton Way Bus Terminal.
||Shenton Way Bus Terminal ↺ Marina Coastal Drive (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Cecil Street, Marina Blvd, Central Blvd|
|Route Length||9.0 km|
|Travelling Time||30 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Shenton Way
||0600 – 2345 (Daily)|
|0630 – 0830: 15 – 20 mins
0831 – 1659: 14 – 20 mins
1700 – 1900: 14 – 18 mins
After 1900: 20 mins
Service 402 serves the Marina Coastal area with connections to Marina Bay MRT and Shenton Way. Generally low in demand, it shuttles passengers between Tanjong Pagar and Marina South Pier or Marina Bay Cruise Center. During the annual Kusu Pilgrimage Season, more buses will be added in anticipation for much high demand at Marina South Pier.
With the opening of the Marina South Pier MRT Station along the North South Line extension on 23 Nov 2014, demand for Service 402 fell, but service levels were not reduced.
On-Demand Public Bus (ODPB) Trial
To facilitate the ODPB Trial from 17 December 2018 to 14 June 2019, Service 402 operates at a frequency of 40 minutes during off peak hours on Weekdays (Except Public Holidays). Commuters may book an On-Demand Public Bus (On-Demand Public Bus – Marina – Downtown Area) through the BusNow app.
ODPB Trial Hours – Marina – Downtown Area
- Weekdays from 17 Dec 2018 to 14 Jun 2019:
1100hrs – 1500hrs & 2030hrs – 2345hrs
Departure Timings of Service 402 during ODPB trial hours
- From Shenton Way Bus Terminal, Weekdays (Except Public Holidays) during the On-Demand Public Bus Trial:
1100hrs, 1140hrs, 1220hrs, 1300hrs, 1340hrs, 1420hrs, 1500hrs,
2025hrs, 2105hrs, 2145hrs, 2225hrs, 2305hrs, 2345hrs
MRT Stations Served
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 2006 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 2006 (01 Apr): Introduced between Marina Coastal Dr & Anson Rd to serve the new Marina South Pier.
- 2011 (28 Nov): Amended to start from Shenton Way Ter & loop at Marina South Pier.
- 2011 (27 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (13 May): Extended to serve International Cruise Terminal along Marina Coastal Dr, calling at the bus stop at Marina South Pier twice. Red/White destination plates were introduced, indicating ‘Cruise Ter’ (Red) & ‘Shenton Way’ (White) as a destination indicator.
- 2013 (21 Apr): Calls at additional pair of bus stops outside the Marina South Pier with the removal of Marina South Pier Ter.
- 2013 (29 Dec): Post-MCE route amendments to ply:
- Forward journey via Marina Stn Rd, Central Blvd, Marina Way, Marina Blvd
- Return journey via Central Blvd, Marina St, Marina Stn Rd, Central Blvd and Shenton Way
- Exsting bus stops along Marina Pl, Marina St and Marina Stn Rd abolished
- Calls at new bus stops along its new route
- 2014: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (28 Sep): Route Amendments in Marina South Area: [Link]
- Forward journey towards Marina South Pier amended to Cecil St & Marina Blvd, omitting Maxwell Rd and calling at 4 additional bus stops
- Return journey via Central Blvd, new stop outside Marina Bay Stn. Existing stop along Marina St abolished.
- Skips 03222 Hub Synergy Pt along Anson Rd, and serves 03223 Intl Plaza instead
- 2017 (25 Jun): Amended to relocated Shenton Way Bus Terminal.
- 2018 (18 Nov): Start of operations under Bukit Merah Bus Package (Tendered Contract)
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.