SBS9817C, a Volvo B10TL bus, was preserved at APSN Chaoyang School. The bus was first spotted in December 2020.
APSN Chaoyang School (address: 10 Ang Mo Kio Street 54, Singapore 569184) is a special education school run by the Association for Persons with Special Needs (APSN), a social service agency.
This bus is the second Volvo B10TL known to have been preserved. The other unit, SBS9844Z, was purchased by a private collector in Hong Kong.
50 units of the Volvo B10TL bus (also known as the Volvo Super Olympian) were procured by Singapore Bus Services (SBS) in 2001. Bodied with the Volgren CR222LD bodywork, these buses entered service between 2002 and 2003.
These buses were shipped into Singapore as bare chassis, and the bodywork was supplied in complete-knock down (CKD) kits by Australian company Volgren. With the exception of two units (SBS9800A and SBS9810X), all buses were assembled locally by SBS Engineering Pte Ltd (known today as ComfortDelGro Engineering Pte Ltd) at Hougang Bus Depot.
As for SBS9817C (Chassis Number YV3S1E11021050602), the bus was registered on 24 February 2003, where it was allocated to Ang Mo Kio Depot. It was de-registered on 23 February 2020, at the end of its 17-year statutory lifespan.
Overview of SBS Transit Volvo B10TL (52 units):
|Registration||Bodywork||Quantity||Years in service|
|SBS9888Y||Volgren CR222LD – Demonstrator||1||1999 – 2010|
|SBS9800A – SBS9849K||Volgren CR222LD – Production Batch [Link]||50||2002 – 2020|
|SBS9889U||PSV/CDGE Demonstrator [Link]||1||2005 – 2020|
At the time of writing (5 December 2020), all Volvo B10TL buses have been retired, in line with the Government’s aim of achieving a 100% Wheelchair-Accessible Bus Fleet by 2020.
Other Preserved Volvo B10TL Bus
Main article: SBS9844Z: Preserved SBS Transit bus in Hong Kong
Another Volvo B10TL bus was also preserved. SBS9844Z was purchased by a private collector and shipped to Hong Kong in August 2020.
Bus preservation in Singapore
Retired public buses in Singapore are rarely preserved. When they are, these buses usually get repurposed for other means, rather than being kept in their original condition for historical value.
Preserved Singapore buses:
- Leyland Olympian (SBS7196Z) – Children’s playbus. Static display at Pat’s Schoolhouse (Jubilee Park)
- Volvo B10BLE Bus (SBS2988M) – Static display at St. Andrew’s Autism Centre
- Nissan RX102K3 (STC 609) – LTA restoration; former Singapore Traction Company bus
- Leyland Olympian (SBS9168S) – Bought by a private collector and shipped to United Kingdom; local registration L888 SBS.
- Leyland Olympian (SBS6907X) – “The Red Bus” static display outside National Youth Council (Grange Road)
- Volvo Olympian (SBS7227T) – Former student lounge at Temasek Junior College, scrapped in 2018
- Volvo B10TL (SBS9844Z) – Bought by a private collector and shipped to Hong Kong
Local Youtuber glitchFan2428 recently produced a video on the topic of local bus preservation.