Tower Transit Bus Service 143 is a trunk service plying between Toa Payoh Int and Jurong East Int, passing through Thomson Road, Orchard, Clemenceau, Chinatown, HarbourFront, Pasir Panjang, West Coast Road, Pandan Gardens and Teban Gardens. It is also the only service to serve both Teban and Pandan Gardens.
Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd has taken over operations of this bus service from SBS Transit since 12 June 2016 under the Bulim Bus Package. In addition, LTA’s 3-door concept bus is currently being trialled on Bus Service 143.
|Route||Toa Payoh Bus Interchange ↔ Jurong East Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Thomson Rd, Orchard, Clemenceau, Chinatown, HarbourFront, Pasir Panjang, West Coast, Pandan Gdns, Teban Gdns|
|Route Length||29.3km (D1) | 29.0km (D2)|
|GCM Route Package
||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Tower Transit|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Alexander Dennis Enviro500
MAN Lion City DD L
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0545 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0525 – 2330 (Weekdays)
0525 – 0000 (Saturdays)
0545 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 14 mins
After 1930: 10 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 07 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 13 mins
After 1930: 10 – 13 mins
Service 143 is a major inter-town & city route connecting Jurong East, West Coast, Pasir Panjang and Toa Payoh to the Central areas of HarbourFront, Chinatown and Orchard. Providing important links between Toa Payoh, Chinatown and HarbourFront, the route is also the only to serve both Teban Gardens and Pandan Gardens, making it a less favorable option between Jurong East and West Coast.
The route experiences generally high demand during many parts of day owing to the multiple connections it provides. Bus bunching on this route is common during both peak and off-peak hours. On Saturday nights, operating hours are extended for the benefit of late-night city dwellers.
In 2014, a route variant 143M was introduced to ease demand and improve consistency of service between Teban Gardens, Pandan Gardens and Jurong East Interchange/MRT.
- Pasir Panjang Rd (Aft Clementi Rd) → Toa Payoh Int
Weekdays: 0530hrs, 0545hrs, 0542hrs, 0553hrs
Saturdays: 0530hrs, 0543hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0520hrs, 0529hrs
- Jurong Town Hall Road (C’wealth Sec Sch) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0600hrs, 0609hrs,
Saturdays: 0600hrs, 0610hrs,
- Service 143M: Jurong East Interchange ↺ Pandan Gardens
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares..
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1968 – 1971: Singapore Traction Company Ltd
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – 11 Jun 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 12 Jun 2016 onwards: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Lor 6 Toa Payoh and Jurong Rd 16.2km (10 m.s.) Market
- 1981: Amended to serve at Penjuru Rd (Jurong Depot), Pandan Gdns and Teban Gdns, skipping West Coast Rd
- 1983 (26 Dec): Amended to Toa Payoh Int
- 1998 (31 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 2001: Amended in 2001 to ply West Coast Rd when parts of Teban Gardens Rd were closed.
- 2002 (12 May): Merged with Feeder Service 331 and extended to Jurong East Int, skipping Pandan Gardens portion.
- 2002 (17 Nov): Amended back to ply Pandan Gardens
- 2006 (29 Oct): Calls at Orchard Stn bus stop along Orchard Turn, skipping Orchard Blvd stop
- 2007: Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2011 (17 Dec): Amended to Jurong East Temp Int, calls at bus stop (Blk 131) along Jurong Gateway Rd
- 2014 (18 May): Route variant Service 143M introduced under the BSEP scheme.
- 2016 (12 Jun): Operations transferred to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd
- Refer to this article
- 2002: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2002.
External Links & References: