SMRT Bus Service 857 is a trunk route from Yishun Interchange and looping at Suntec City, passing through Yio Chu Kang Road, CTE, Geylang Bahru, Little India and Bras Basah.
Bus Service 857 will be amended to resume plying its original routing along Bencoolen Street from 11 December 2016. More details here.
|Route||Yishun Temporary Bus Interchange ↺ Temasek Avenue (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Yio Chu Kang Rd, CTE, Geylang Bahru, Little India, Bras Basah|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
|Current Fleet||Alexander Dennis Enviro500
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2240 (Weekdays, Saturday | Full loop)
0545 – 2240 (Sundays/PHs | Full loop)
2240 – 2330 (Daily | Terminates at Temasek Blvd (Suntec Convention Ctr))
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 10 mins
After 1930: 12 – 17 mins
|Notes||From 2240hrs onwards, buses leaving Yishun Temp Int will terminate at Temasek Boulevard, 02151 Suntec Convention Ctr.|
Service 857 connects the residential estates of Yishun, Khatib, and private estates around Yio Chu Kang Road, with a fast connection to the City areas of Little India, Bras Basah, Suntec City and Marina Centre. The route incorporates an express sector on the Central Expressway (CTE) between Yio Chu Kang Road and Jalan Toa Payoh in both directions, making it a popular connection between the North and the City.
Demand for the route is moderate during off-peak hours but very high during peak hours, as residents commute to and from the City and various industries along Yio Chu Kang Road. High capacity double-deck buses were deployed from 26th April 2015 onwards.
Introduced in 2001 by Trans-Island, the route has not undergone any amendments since, except for a diversion to Prinsep Street when a portion of Bencoolen Street was closed for Downtown Line construction in 2011. Bus Service 857 will resume plying the section of Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works from 11 Dec 2016. Main article: Route Amendments with the Reinstatement of Bencoolen Street
Between 2240hrs and 2330hrs daily, buses leaving Yishun Temp Int will terminate at 02151 Temasek Boulevard (Suntec Convention Ctr). The last bus returning to Yishun leaves Suntec City at 2328hrs.
- Service 857A: Yishun Temp Int → Yio Chu Kang Road (Opp Sunrise Gdns)
Weekdays AM Peak hours
Service 857A caters to the industries along Yio Chu Kang Road, reducing peak hour loading on Service 857 and hence benefitting commuters heading from Yishun towards the city.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 857′s fleet comprises of both rigid buses and double-decker buses. Bendy buses may be use as substitute to the double-deckers, or as capacity boosts during the weekends or periods of high demand, such as festive periods and major events at Suntec City.
|Loop Service (via Temasek Ave)|
- 2001 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2001 (14 Jan): Introduced as a trunk service from Yishun Int to Suntec City (Loop)
- 2011 (16 Oct): Amended to serve Middle Rd, Selegie Rd & Prinsep St with the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for Downtown Line construction
- 2012 (29 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int via Yishun Central 1
- 2015 (26 Apr): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-decker deployments
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2016 (11 Dec): Resume plying Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works (Main Article)
- Refer to this article
- 2001: No significant route changes since 2001.
SMB5043D on Service 857, with advert wrap for Resorts World Sentosa