SMRT Bus Service 857 is a trunk route from Yishun Bus Interchange and looping at Suntec City, passing through Yio Chu Kang Road, CTE, Geylang Bahru, Little India and Bras Basah.
Bus Service 857 serves the new Yishun Integrated Transport Hub from 8 September 2019.
||Yishun Bus Interchange ↺ Temasek Avenue (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Yio Chu Kang Rd, CTE, Boon Keng, Little India, Bras Basah, Suntec City|
|Route Length||42.9 km|
|Travelling Time||120 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang–Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN A22
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Yishun
||0530hrs – 2240hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays | Full loop)
0545hrs – 2240hrs (Sundays/Public Holidays | Full loop)
2241hrs – 2330hrs (Daily | Terminates at Temasek Ave (Promenade Stn))
|Departure Times from Temasek Blvd
||0621hrs – 2328hrs (Weekdays)
0618hrs – 2321hrs (Saturdays)
0636hrs – 2327hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|0630-0830: 03 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 09 mins
1700-1900: 06 – 10 mins
After 1900: 08 – 10 mins
Service 857 connects the residential estates of Yishun, Khatib, and private estates around Yio Chu Kang Road, with a fast connection to the City areas of Little India, Bras Basah, Suntec City and Marina Centre. The route incorporates an express sector on the Central Expressway (CTE) between Yio Chu Kang Road and Jalan Toa Payoh in both directions, making it a popular connection between the North and the City.
Demand for the route is moderate during off-peak hours but very high during peak hours, as residents commute to and from the City and various industries along Yio Chu Kang Road. High capacity double-deck buses were deployed from 26 April 2015.
Introduced in 2001 by Trans-Island, the route has not undergone any amendments since, except for a diversion to Prinsep Street when a portion of Bencoolen Street was closed for Downtown Line construction between 2011 – 2016.
Between 2241hrs and 2330hrs daily, buses leaving Yishun Int will terminate at 02161 Temasek Ave (Promenade Stn). The last bus returning to Yishun leaves Promenade Stn at 2331hrs on Weekdays, 2324hrs on Saturdays and 2330hrs on Sundays / Public Holidays.
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
MRT Stations Served
- NS13 Yishun
- NS14 Khatib
- NE9 Boon Keng
- NE8 Farrer Park
- DT22 Jalan Besar
- DT21 Bencoolen
- CC2 Bras Basah
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- CC3 Esplanade
- CC4DT15 Promenade
Short Trip Service
- Service 857A: Yishun Int → Yio Chu Kang Road (Opp Sunrise Gdns)
Weekdays, except Public Holidays: 0708hrs & 0721hrs
Service 857A caters to the industries along Yio Chu Kang Road, reducing peak hour loading on Service 857 and hence benefiting commuters heading from Yishun towards the city.
- Yishun Int → Temasek Ave (Promenade Stn)
Weekdays: 0600hrs, 0658hrs, 0728hrs, 0830hrs, 0901hrs, 0933hrs & late night hours
Saturdays: 2251hrs, 2300hrs, 2310hrs, 2320hrs & 2330hrs
Sundays / Public Holidays: 2246hrs, 2257hrs, 2308hrs, 2319hrs & 2330hrs
- 2001 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 2001 (14 Jan): Introduced as a trunk service from Yishun Int to Suntec City (Loop)
- 2011 (16 Oct): Amended to serve Middle Rd, Selegie Rd & Prinsep St with the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for Downtown Line construction
- 2012 (29 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int via Yishun Central 1
- 2015 (26 Apr): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-decker deployments
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2016 (11 Dec): Resume plying Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works (Main Article)
- 2019 (08 Sep): Amended to Yishun Integrated Transport Hub, skipping Yishun Central 1
- Refer to this article
- 2019: No significant route changes since 2019.